BlockScanner looks very much like it’s sibling blockwatcher and indeed these two rogue antivirus applications come from the same prolific family (wini). This family includes numerous other rogue antivirus appications such as… Softbarrier (softbarrier removal) and many others have looked the same… Shieldsafeness (see the shieldsafeness removal guide) as well as… SoftStronghold (softstronghold removal guide) and succeeds the following variants in this prolific family…. Softveteran (see the softveteran removal guide) but…. SoftCop (see the SoftCop removal guide.) But, the line goes much further back…. Softsoldier (How to remove SoftSoldier), ( TrustFighter TrustFighter Removal Guide, TrustSoldier removal guide and the following others… SafeFighter (Safefighter Removal), TrustCop (TrustCop Removal Guide), SecureWarrior (SecureWarrior Removal), SecurityFighter (SecurityFighter Removal), SecuritySoldier (SecuritySoldier Removal). Believe it or not, that’s just a sampling of the last months worth of variations. (And I may have missed a few.) These rogues install via trojan horse activity, popup warnings and threats claiming that your system is at risk from multiple files it claims to find. They (of course) want you to purchase for full “protection” from all these threats. Read on for how to remove blockscanner.
First you will want to attempt an uninstall of blockscanner through the control panel and the add/remove programs dialog. Even if this works well, proceed to download and scan your computer with malwarebytes antimalware and a reputable antivirus application such as AVG or Avira, etc…. To go ahead with a manual removal, download malwarebytes antimalware from the virus removal toolkit page (and optionally download process explorer.)
If you are unable to install and run malwarebytes initially, the following tricks may help. 1) reboot into safe mode and try running the installer within safe mode, then update and run a full scan. 2) rename the installer file from mbam-setup.exe to something else…. zeta.exe 3) follow with the manual removal steps listed below and retry the install of malwarebytes after you have killed off the running processes associated with blockscanner.
You will likely want to block the following web site:
The following processes are associated with blockscanner and should be killed off using the task manager. If you are unable to launch the task manager try copying and pasting the program file for it (taskmgr.exe) to a new file name…. elmo.exe and then try running it, or you can alternatively use process explorer to find and kill off the following processes:
Some of the above may contain strings that are randomly created and are unique from one install of blockscanner to another. Use the information of files to delete below (and the locations for these files) to figure out the naming on your system and locate any suspicious processes and kill those off that may match the patterns given above.
The following dlls should be unregistered and deleted:
(again – some randomization may have been used on the filenames – use the further information below and what you find on your system for thorough removal.)
The following files and folders should be deleted for a manual removal of blockscanner:
%docs%All UsersStart MenuProgramsBlockScanner1 BlockScanner.lnk
%docs%All UsersStart MenuProgramsBlockScanner2 Homepage.lnk
%docs%All UsersStart MenuProgramsBlockScanner3 Uninstall.lnk
%docs%All UsersStart MenuProgramsBlockScanner
Even after successfully removing all of the files listed above it would be a good idea to make sure you have completed your removal of blockscanner by installing and running malwarebytes antimalware as well as a reputable antivirus (AVG/Avira/online trendmicro scan/etc.) At this point your removal of BLockscanner should be complete.
Related PostsRelated Posts
- How to Remove BlockProtector | Removal Guide So... the tail end of last week saw another new variant in the Wini family of rogue antivirus: blockprotector. It's the successor to..... Blockscanner (blockscanner removal guide) as well as the long list of prior variants that you can find on that page. (Sorry... it's just getting to be ridiculously......
- How to Remove Live Enterprise Suite | Live Enterprise Suite Removal Guide Live Enterprise Suite is yet another rogue security application. This is a successor to the frustrating Internet Antivirus Pro and Ghost Antivirus rogues. Like many of these security rogues they are pushed through malware and aggressive advertising. This may be a website that when visited a screen pops up that......
- How to Remove SecurityTool | Security Tool Removal Security Tool is the latest rogue antivirus application in the family which includes Total Security 2009 (read my how to remove Total Security 2009 guide if necessary.) It is visually similar and like many of these scareware rogues is very similar in many respects with the exception of the name.......
- Spyware: The New Annoying Threat A friend called me one day, frustrated out of his mind that his computer was acting very strange. When he opened his Internet Explorer, it sent him to a strange site and pop-up windows kept covering his screen. He even complained about the performance of his Intel Pentium 4 computer......
- How to Remove Old Carpeting Whether you are ready to replace an old, stained carpet, or you want to completely redo your flooring, it is vital to make sure that you know how to properly remove carpet. By using the right techniques, you’ll be assured of saving not only time, but your floors will go......
- Antivirus Software Vs. Internet Security Software Lots of individuals believe that antivirus software and internet security software are same. While they protect your PC and avoid it from being attacked and infected by threats, they have exact roles in terms of defense and safety for your PC. Antivirus software can be installed on your personal computer......
- How to Remove SoftStronghold | Soft Stronghold Removal Guide
- How to Remove TRE Antivirus | TRE Antivirus Removal Guide
- How to Remove SafeFighter | Safe Fighter Removal Guide
- How to Remove TrustSoldier | Trust Soldier Removal Guide
- How to Remove TrustFighter | Trust Fighter Removal Guide