BlockWatcher is another iteration in the LONG line from the Wini family…. Softbarrier (softbarrier removal) and many others have looked the same… Shieldsafeness (see the shieldsafeness removal guide) as well as… SoftStronghold (softstronghold removal guide) and succeeds the following variants in this prolific family…. Softveteran (see the softveteran removal guide) but…. SoftCop (see the SoftCop removal guide.) But, the line goes much further back…. Softsoldier (How to remove SoftSoldier), ( TrustFighter TrustFighter Removal Guide, TrustSoldier removal guide and the following others… SafeFighter (Safefighter Removal), TrustCop (TrustCop Removal Guide), SecureWarrior (SecureWarrior Removal), SecurityFighter (SecurityFighter Removal), SecuritySoldier (SecuritySoldier Removal) and even other names! Read on for how to remove blockwatcher.
Blockwatcher is known to install via trojans and among other things (the usual popup scans and warnings about infected files) it also hijacks internet explorer to randomly show the error message detailed a few paragraphs below.
The first thing you should try is to uninstall it the normal way through the control panel, and then add/remove programs. Even if it uninstalls easily and normally here, I would still follow up with a scan with malwarebytes antimalware as well as a reputable antivirus such as AVG or avira. If it doesn’t uninstall properly here continue with some of the further sections that move into the manual removal of Blockwatcher.
Among the messages you may see on your computer if you are affected by Blockwatcher you may see the following:
Insecure Internet activity. Threat of virus attack!
Due to insecure Internet browsing your PC can easily get infected with viruses, worms and trojans without your knowledge, which can lead to system slowdowns, freezes and crashes. Also insecure Internet activity can result in revealing your personal information.
To get full advanced real-time protection for PC and Internet activity, register BlockWatcher. We recommend you to protect your PC now and continue safe Internet browsing.
You will likely want to block the following website associated with blockwatcher:
As with many of these rogues the warnings and complaints are just designed to scare the user into paying for the software. In reality Blockwatcher is likely the biggest threat to your computer. The next thing you should do is download malwarebytes antimalware from the virus removal toolkit page (and optionally process explorer.)
If you are unable to install malwarebytes antimalware you may try the following tricks to allow you to install it. 1) rename the installer file from mbam-setup.exe to something else like ernie.exe and then attempt to run the install. 2) reboot into safe mode and attempt to run the install. 3) follow with the manual removal steps below and after you have killed off the running processes associated with BlockWatcher, then try to run the install again. After installing, update and run a full scan with malwarebytes antimalware.
The following processes should be killed off with task manager to remove Blockwatcher. If you are unable to launch task manager you may rename the executable file (copy/paste and then rename) rename it from taskmgr.exe to something else like bert.exe and then try to run it. Alternatively you can use process explorer to list and kill off the following processes:
Some of the filenames above could be randomly created and so you may need to use the list of files below as a guide for where they may be located. Find what they are named on your system and use that information to identify the other processes which should be killed off.
The following dlls should be deregistered and removed:
The names of the above may vary from system to system, use the information below on the locations as well as the naming patters you see here to help you find which files on your system are analogous.
The following files and folders should be deleted to remove blockwatcher:
%docs%All UsersStart MenuProgramsBlockWatcher
%docs%All UsersStart MenuProgramsBlockWatcher1 BlockWatcher.lnk
%docs%All UsersStart MenuProgramsBlockWatcher2 Homepage.lnk
%docs%All UsersStart MenuProgramsBlockWatcher3 Uninstall.lnk
Even after deleting the above files you should run a full scan with malwarebytes antimalware and a trusted antivirus such as avg or avira to make sure your system is clean. After that you will have removed BlockWatcher.
Related PostsRelated Posts
- How to Remove SecurityFighter | Security Fighter Removal SecurityFighter is making the rounds as yet another rogue security application. It installs itself via trojans and web popups and creates files that it then claims are viral and need to be cleaned out for your computer to be safe. Of course, they never can do that without you first......
- How to Remove PC Live Guard | PC Live Guard Removal Guide PC Live Guard is a Rogue antivirus application that typically installs on a system through aggressive advertising and fake scan sites. You will see things that pop up appearing to be a scan of your computer, but it's really just an ad pushing this product. Once the software is on......
- How to Remove SecureWarrior | Secure Warrior Removal Guide Proving once again that it takes little creativity to put out rogue antivirus applications, the same group that was behind secure fighter (securefighter removal guide) have renamed their software again and one of the more recent versions is called securewarrior. Read on for a guide to the removal of securewarrior.......
- How to Clean and Lubricate Skate Bearings Clean bearings are going to roll smoother, roll faster, and will last much longer than dirty bearings. Dirt and grime foul the bearings and can cause pitting which make rotation uneven and rough. The following paragraphs have instructions for cleaning bearings with removable shields. If you do not have removable......
- What Is A Cloud Virtual Server Solution And How Will It Work? In recent years, cloud computing has seen more and more use. It offers new options for storing files and using the web and serves the base for many a social networking site. Internet use and communication have become much easier with the use of a cloud virtual server. The name......
- The Widely Regarded Strategies Of The Online Marketer. The strategies that entrepreneurs use really haven't changed that much over the years. What has changed are the formats that businesses use in today's market. Promotional advertising will determine how your business is perceived and the advertising techniques that are being used will determine if your business is successful or......
- How to Remove SafeFighter | Safe Fighter Removal Guide
- How to Remove SoftVeteran | Soft Veteran Removal Guide
- How to Remove SoftStronghold | Soft Stronghold Removal Guide
- How to Remove BlockScanner | Removal Guide
- How to Remove TrustFighter | Trust Fighter Removal Guide