BlockWatcher is another iteration in the LONG line from the Wini family…. Softbarrier (softbarrier removal) and many others have looked the same… Shieldsafeness (see the shieldsafeness removal guide) as well as… SoftStronghold (softstronghold removal guide) and succeeds the following variants in this prolific family…. Softveteran (see the softveteran removal guide) but…. SoftCop (see the SoftCop removal guide.) But, the line goes much further back…. Softsoldier (How to remove SoftSoldier), ( TrustFighter TrustFighter Removal Guide, TrustSoldier removal guide and the following others… SafeFighter (Safefighter Removal), TrustCop (TrustCop Removal Guide), SecureWarrior (SecureWarrior Removal), SecurityFighter (SecurityFighter Removal), SecuritySoldier (SecuritySoldier Removal) and even other names! Read on for how to remove blockwatcher.
Blockwatcher is known to install via trojans and among other things (the usual popup scans and warnings about infected files) it also hijacks internet explorer to randomly show the error message detailed a few paragraphs below.
The first thing you should try is to uninstall it the normal way through the control panel, and then add/remove programs. Even if it uninstalls easily and normally here, I would still follow up with a scan with malwarebytes antimalware as well as a reputable antivirus such as AVG or avira. If it doesn’t uninstall properly here continue with some of the further sections that move into the manual removal of Blockwatcher.
Among the messages you may see on your computer if you are affected by Blockwatcher you may see the following:
Insecure Internet activity. Threat of virus attack!
Due to insecure Internet browsing your PC can easily get infected with viruses, worms and trojans without your knowledge, which can lead to system slowdowns, freezes and crashes. Also insecure Internet activity can result in revealing your personal information.
To get full advanced real-time protection for PC and Internet activity, register BlockWatcher. We recommend you to protect your PC now and continue safe Internet browsing.
You will likely want to block the following website associated with blockwatcher:
As with many of these rogues the warnings and complaints are just designed to scare the user into paying for the software. In reality Blockwatcher is likely the biggest threat to your computer. The next thing you should do is download malwarebytes antimalware from the virus removal toolkit page (and optionally process explorer.)
If you are unable to install malwarebytes antimalware you may try the following tricks to allow you to install it. 1) rename the installer file from mbam-setup.exe to something else like ernie.exe and then attempt to run the install. 2) reboot into safe mode and attempt to run the install. 3) follow with the manual removal steps below and after you have killed off the running processes associated with BlockWatcher, then try to run the install again. After installing, update and run a full scan with malwarebytes antimalware.
The following processes should be killed off with task manager to remove Blockwatcher. If you are unable to launch task manager you may rename the executable file (copy/paste and then rename) rename it from taskmgr.exe to something else like bert.exe and then try to run it. Alternatively you can use process explorer to list and kill off the following processes:
Some of the filenames above could be randomly created and so you may need to use the list of files below as a guide for where they may be located. Find what they are named on your system and use that information to identify the other processes which should be killed off.
The following dlls should be deregistered and removed:
The names of the above may vary from system to system, use the information below on the locations as well as the naming patters you see here to help you find which files on your system are analogous.
The following files and folders should be deleted to remove blockwatcher:
%docs%All UsersStart MenuProgramsBlockWatcher
%docs%All UsersStart MenuProgramsBlockWatcher1 BlockWatcher.lnk
%docs%All UsersStart MenuProgramsBlockWatcher2 Homepage.lnk
%docs%All UsersStart MenuProgramsBlockWatcher3 Uninstall.lnk
Even after deleting the above files you should run a full scan with malwarebytes antimalware and a trusted antivirus such as avg or avira to make sure your system is clean. After that you will have removed BlockWatcher.
Related PostsRelated Posts
- How to Remove APCSafe | APCSafe Removal Guide APCSafe is another of the recent variations on the Wini family of rogue antivirus applications. Like all the others it is pushed by trojan activity... this is typically a video site that claims to have a sought after video, but alas.... the video cannot be viewed unless you install a......
- How to Remove Personal Security | Personal Security Removal Guide Personal Security is a rogue antivirus application that comes from the same (dreaded) family as the Cyber Security rogue. It usually installs on the users computer without the permission of the computer user. Once installed on the system it will then perform supposed scans finding lots of virus infected files......
- How to Remove SoftVeteran | Soft Veteran Removal Guide SoftVeteran is the latest version of the long and seemingly never ending line of rogue antivirus programs known as the wini family. The most recent was SoftCop (see the SoftCop removal guide.) But, the line goes much further back.... Softsoldier (How to remove SoftSoldier), ( TrustFighter TrustFighter Removal Guide, TrustSoldier......
- How to Remove Antivirus 2009, Spyware Guard 2008 and Other Malware My wife, kids, and I spent this past Christmas at my parents' house. It wasn't long after we arrived before I gravitated to their computer to check my email, read the news, check the stock market, etc. Much to my dismay, I found a barrage of malware, spyware, and......
- Acoustic Guitar String Changing pt 1 If it is time for you to change the strings on your guitar, then you need to know what tools and equipment you need and also have an understanding of the process involved. The following guide is designed to help you remove the sixth string so that you can change......
- The Five Rules for Successful Stock Investing: Morningstar's Guide to Building Wealth and Winning in the Market Reviews The Five Rules for Successful Stock Investing: Morningstar's Guide to Building Wealth and Winning in the Market The Five Rules for Successful Stock Investing"By resisting both the popular tendency to use gimmicks that oversimplify securities analysis and the academic tendency to use jargon that obfuscates common sense, Pat Dorsey has......
- How to Remove SafeFighter | Safe Fighter Removal Guide
- How to Remove SoftVeteran | Soft Veteran Removal Guide
- How to Remove SoftStronghold | Soft Stronghold Removal Guide
- How to Remove BlockScanner | Removal Guide
- How to Remove TrustFighter | Trust Fighter Removal Guide