Softbarrier is the latest in the long line of Wini rogue antivirus programs that include…. Shieldsafeness (see the shieldsafeness removal guide) as well as… SoftStronghold (softstronghold removal guide) and succeeds the following variants in this prolific family…. Softveteran (see the softveteran removal guide) but…. SoftCop (see the SoftCop removal guide.) But, the line goes much further back…. Softsoldier (How to remove SoftSoldier), ( TrustFighter TrustFighter Removal Guide, TrustSoldier removal guide and the following others… SafeFighter (Safefighter Removal), TrustCop (TrustCop Removal Guide), SecureWarrior (SecureWarrior Removal), SecurityFighter (SecurityFighter Removal), SecuritySoldier (SecuritySoldier Removal) and it also has gone under yet other names. As you can see, they’re a FUN group! Read on for information on how to remove SoftBarrier.
SoftBarrier is usually introduced onto a system through a trojan claiming to be a codec or flash update and once on the system the trojan loads SoftBarrier. SoftBarrier then, in turn creates lots of randomly named files on your machine that it then proceeds to find in it’s scans. When it finds these files it will claim that they are viral and need to be fixed, but alas…. it can’t do that unless you pay. This is an old scam – please don’t pay them.
For your removal of SoftBarrier you should start by downloading malwarebytes antimalware and optionally process explorer from the virus removal toolkit download page. Next I would try going to the control panel, find add/remove programs and try uninstalling Softbarrier through the traditional uninstall route. For these kinds of rogues it usually fails, but that’s the easiest to try. If that fails attempt to install malwarebytes and update it and let it run a full scan. It’s possible that the rogue will prevent malwarebytes from installing. There are a couple things you can try to make it install anyway. 1) try renaming the installer file from mbam-setup.exe to something different (louis.exe), then try to install from the newly named installer 2) reboot into safe mode and then retry installation. 3) follow with the manual removal of softbarrier steps below and retry your install of malwarebytes at various steps along the way (most importantly just after killing off the running processes associated with Softbarrier.)
So, next you will need to open up the task manager and kill off the running processes associated with SoftBarrier. If you are unable to launch the task manager you may copy and paste the program file for it (taskmgr.exe) to another filename and re-attempt to run this newly renamed file. Alternatively you can make use of process explorer (mentioned above) to find and kill off the following running processes.
There may be a couple of other randomly named files running associated with this rogue. Use the list of files below as a guide for finding how they are named on your system and proceed to kill off any tasks that have similar naming conventions. (all numbers.exe all numbers.tmp.exe for instance)
The following files and folders should be deleted to remove SoftBarrier:
%docs%All UsersStart MenuProgramsSoftBarrier
%docs%All UsersStart MenuProgramsSoftBarrier1 SoftBarrier.lnk
%docs%All UsersStart MenuProgramsSoftBarrier2 Homepage.lnk
%docs%All UsersStart MenuProgramsSoftBarrier3 Uninstall.lnk
Some of the filenames above are created randomly and may differ on your system. For that reason you should use the patterns above to help you search your system for similarly named files and delete (or at least rename and isolate) any matches to the patterns above. Finally, I would install and run malwarebytes antimalware and then scan the computer with a reputable antivirus (avira, avg for instance.) After this you will have completed your removal of SoftBarrier.
Related PostsRelated Posts
- How to Remove Windows Smart Security (Removal Guide) Windows Smart Security is a rogue spyware application that may fool people into installing and purchasing due to the use of the words Windows and Security in the title. It may fool people into thinking that it is related to Microsoft Windows and perhaps even a part of the operating......
- How to Remove BlockScanner | Removal Guide BlockScanner looks very much like it's sibling blockwatcher and indeed these two rogue antivirus applications come from the same prolific family (wini). This family includes numerous other rogue antivirus appications such as... Softbarrier (softbarrier removal) and many others have looked the same... Shieldsafeness (see the shieldsafeness removal guide) as well......
- How to Remove SoftCop | SoftCop Removal Guide SoftCop seems to be another rogue antivirus entry in the quite prolific Wini family which includes such rogues as the recent Softsoldier (How to remove SoftSoldier), ( TrustFighter TrustFighter Removal Guide, TrustSoldier removal guide and the following others... SafeFighter (Safefighter Removal), TrustCop (TrustCop Removal Guide), SecureWarrior (SecureWarrior Removal), SecurityFighter (SecurityFighter......
- Cleaner For Registry Errors The operating system of the computer has the registry at its core. Over time, the user will install and remove programs, always changing the registry contents. The registry can develop errors as it collects redundant and outdated files over time and it is necessary to fix them. If left alone,......
- How to Remove Corrupted E71 Applications/Games So how do we remove corrupted E71 applications/games? While installing some E71 games, I encountered into one which was corrupted. I tried removing it but was unsuccessful at first(I got the remove failed error). But after several tries, I was able to remove it. Here is what I did: Reinstall......
- Luxand Blink And You'll Miss It This free software adds an extra level of security to your computer through your Webcam, you can start using your computer after a few seconds of looking at your Webcam. Login to your PC without touching a thing, no passwords to type and no fingers to scan. The innovative face......
- How to Remove BlockScanner | Removal Guide
- How to Remove SoftSoldier | Soft Soldier Removal Guide
- How to Remove TrustSoldier | Trust Soldier Removal Guide
- How to Remove SoftStronghold | Soft Stronghold Removal Guide
- How to Remove SafeFighter | Safe Fighter Removal Guide