So… the tail end of last week saw another new variant in the Wini family of rogue antivirus: blockprotector. It’s the successor to….. Blockscanner (blockscanner removal guide) as well as the long list of prior variants that you can find on that page. (Sorry… it’s just getting to be ridiculously too many to list in each post.) The wini family of rogues is running around 2-3 variants a week at this point in time and they mostly look the same with only the name being changed. They are pushed by scare tactics of web pages that appear to be scanning your hard drive (animations) and like most rogues they don’t really do much. Read on for how to remove blockprotector.
Among other things blockprotector will pop up many bogus warnings about your system security including this:
Your computer is infected with spyware. It could damage your critical files or expose your private data on the Internet. Click here to register your copy of BlockProtector and remove spyware threats from your PC.
All warnings generated by this software are falsified.
Start by trying to uninstall blockprotector from the control panel and add/remove programs applet. If it cleanly uninstalls I would follow up with a good scan of the computer with a tool such as malwarebytes antimalware and an antivirus such as avira/avg or maybe trend micro. Just make sure it’s a trusted application.
To download malwarebytes antimalware, please visit my virus removal toolkit page. Download malwarebytes antimalware and (optionally) process explorer.
You may have difficulty installing and running malwarebytes initially with this rogue on your system. If you do have difficulty you can 1) rename the installer file from mbam-setup.exe to something innocent like bigbird.exe -then try to install,update and run malwarebytes 2) reboot into safemode and retry the installer or 3) continue with a more manual removal of blockprotector and after you have disabled the running processes associated with blockprotector then you may be able to install, update and run malwarebytes antimalware.
The following website should be blocked:
The processes listed below are associated with blockprotector and should be killed off using the task manager. If you are unable to launch the task manager you may try copying and pasting the executable file for the task manager (taskmgr.exe) to another file name (rename it to something like elmo.exe) or use process explorer for the task of killing off the following files:
There may be some randomization used by blockprotector in the creation of filenames including some of those listed above. Use the information below on the file locations along with what you find on your system to get an idea for the patterns that this rogue has used in it’s naming of files and use your best judgment to find similar files on your system.
The following files and folders should be deleted to remoe blockprotector:
After even the best manual removal of blockprotector you should still install and update and run a tool such as malwarebytes antimalware and a trusted antivirus to make sure that your system is now clean.
Related PostsRelated Posts
- How to Remove SoftStronghold | Soft Stronghold Removal Guide SoftStronghold is the latest rogue antivirus application in the LONG line of Wini rogues... Softveteran was the most recent (see the softveteran removal guide) but.... SoftCop (see the SoftCop removal guide.) But, the line goes much further back.... Softsoldier (How to remove SoftSoldier), ( TrustFighter TrustFighter Removal Guide, TrustSoldier removal......
- How to Remove DefendAPC | DefendAPC Removal Guide DefendAPC is the latest variation on the Wini family of rogue antivirus. It is typically promoted via the use of trojans, malware and aggressive advertising. Once installed on the system it will run supposed scans of the system claiming that you have viruses on your system and that you have......
- How to Remove Windows Smart Security (Removal Guide) Windows Smart Security is a rogue spyware application that may fool people into installing and purchasing due to the use of the words Windows and Security in the title. It may fool people into thinking that it is related to Microsoft Windows and perhaps even a part of the operating......
- Troward, Thomas; The Spirit of Oplulence Success Key - The Spirit of Oppulence: If we clearly realize that the creative power in ourselves is unlimited, then there is no reason for limiting the extent to which we may enjoy what we can create by means of it. Where we are drawing from the infinite we......
- Atlanta Tennis Championship Ends with Mardy Fish on Top Many of the best tennis players in the nation descended on Atlanta like they do every year. They come to play in the Atlanta Tennis Championship. This tournament was able to provide a great show of some great tennis skills by some of the most known names in tennis today.......
- How To Easily File Back Taxes Wesley Snipes is a prime example of why now is the time to file back taxes. After ignoring Uncle Sam for several years, he ended up getting sentenced to prison. The same could happen to you, especially if you are in the upper-income bracket. Do not put yourself in such......
- How to Remove SystemVeteran | Removal Guide
- How to Remove ReAnti | ReAnti Removal Guide
- How to Remove AntiMalware | Antimalware Removal Guide
- How to Remove SoftStronghold | Soft Stronghold Removal Guide
- How to Remove TRE Antivirus | TRE Antivirus Removal Guide