Sendmail is not my favorite MTA. I really prefer Postfix, but… I have to use sendmail in a few situations. I’ve run a little script on the web server for a good while to monitor the mail queue. I was running into a problem where I had LOTS of messages backed up. I suspected I had been hit originally by a spam onslaught which had flooded the server and it had been throttled (VPS) to prevent causing problems for the other users and things got backed up.
The script I’ve used looks like this
currentnum=`ls -l /var/spool/mqueue/qf* | wc -l`
if [ $currentnum -gt $threshold ]
mail postmaster -s “Mail Queue Alert” <<EOM
There are $currentnum messages in the mail queue on
It basically checks to see if there are more than 20 messages queued… so here are some ways to deal with the mailqueue in sendmail from the shell.
mailq shows all the messages that are currently queued waiting for a re-attempt.
sendmail -q starts processing the message queue. Most all of the messages backed up were because my home server had rejected the sender (using some of postfix’s UCE controls…) sendmail couldn’t deliver them and can’t deliver a bounce (forged message). I probably need to investigate how I might tighten the sendmail policy on not accepting from bogus addresses.
It’s possible though to delete items out of the queue by deleting them from /var/spool/mqueue Eventually, sendmail should give up on a message though and stop trying to deliver it or it’s bounce. (Don’t recall the default number of days.)
Related PostsRelated Posts
- Microsoft Outlook - duplicate email messages Part II This is part II, click here for part one of the saga... Okay, so I revisit to install Microsoft Office 2003 SP2 and hope that solves it. Somewhere along this time, I had also found a suggestion of removing the entire mail PROFILE and creating a new one. *(The theory......
- Lessons Learned from the Massive Westhost Outage this Week If you didn't know, this has been a tumultuous week for clients of Westhost, my internet service provider. Their Primary data center is located in Utah and they share that space with a sister brand VPS.net. The datacenter is a Tier IV center managed by Consonus. Saturday afternoon there was......
- Mail Server Rejecting all Messages - Check your Blacklists relays.ordb.org is listing the WORLD It's unusual for mail servers to suddenly start rejecting messages internally and from external sources. That's exactly what I saw though over the weekend. A mailserver running mdaemon on Windows 2000 was rejected ALMOST every message that was sent it's way whether it was an internal mail sender and recipient......
- The Web Hosting Services Of The Hostgator Review Thousands and thousands of web hosts scattered around the world and their business aim is simple - to get recognized and make profit. With so much noise around the web hosting industry, it is a tough task for us to pick up the right hosting. Nevertheless, it's not too hard......
- Why We Have To Switch To Cloud Web Host: Why we must switch to Cloud Web host: Cloud hosting as explained in Wikipedia is a service that does not need knowledge among the consumers, we might not really know it, but we are actually enjoying the benefits of cloud hosting as Google searches are running within a cloud of......
- The Virtual Assistants As Well As The Little Web Hosting Service Which Shouldn't Be The virtual assistants ask: Is bigger far better? People have their very own opinion regarding that, which includes web hosting companies. They are saying it is. This is exactly why whenever you take a look at their hosting packages, the feature list goes on and on and on. You would......
- Blacklists and rejecting mail with Sendmail
- Postgrey and the power of Greylisting to fight Spam
- Mail Server Rejecting all Messages – Check your Blacklists relays.ordb.org is listing the WORLD
- Why? (Why couldn’t AT&T make sure their mail servers weren’t using old dialup IPs that are blacklisted….)
- More postfix spam blocking and Whitelisting….