I thought I had written about this once before, but when I searched the site to find the solution I had come across before, I couldn’t find my post…. so, sorry if this is a duplication, but I’ve run into this on some AMD 64-bit based system boards. The most recent was based on the nvidia nforce4 chipset. Essentially in booting from either the alternative install cd or livecd for Ubuntu/kubuntu/edubuntu/xubuntu…. there is a freeze in the boot process. It goes for 30 seconds or more looking as though it’s hard frozen, but it does eventually manage to load the installer.
Within the installer though there seem to be issues finding hardware. (unable to find cdrom drive, asking to load driver from a disk…. among other things.)
Ultimately, I’ve found a few kernel options and a BIOS setting change that made a BIG difference and had the system booting up the cd VERY quickly and successfully finding hardware.
The long and short of it is to add the following kernel options….
After this things MOSTLY worked, but I was still getting errors about devices not having irq’s assigned, so… I entered the BIOS and set Plug and Play OS to NO and then all seemed to be recognized with no complaints. I’m not sure if this is just ubuntu related, a specific kernel version, or support for the hardware, but I was glad to finally find a workable setup.
I should note, that the success happened with the 32-bit version of Ubuntu on this hardware. I recall testing the 64-bit version and having the same freeze on bootup though.
(The especially long freeze was at “mounting root file system”.) I haven’t tested with the 6.10 Edgy installer cd (in part because I wanted LTS on the system in question.)
BTW – another symptom of this problem was that when X came up the mouse was not used. The device had been detected correctly in /dev and was setup right in X, but the pointer wouldn’t budge at the login screen. After the above fixes, everything went well.
Related PostsRelated Posts
- Software raid under linux (Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper Drake) First, I should disclaim that this is going to be a brain dump of the resources and experience of a quick setup of Ubuntu 6.06 on a software raid based storage system. This may be less than ideal, but is doable and seems relatively solid as a system. First off,......
- Xubuntu for older systems I can't recall trying Ubuntu (maybe a livecd), but I've heard quite a bit about various variations on it lately. I've seen articles on business desktop use, certification by IBM (?) for running one of their applications and other various positive articles. I'm going to have to give it a......
- Qemu 0.8.1 (with kqemu 1.3.0pre7) While I was testing out the "single cut and paste" linux vnc remote desktop sharing script and x11vnc binary.... I spent a fair amount of time booting up livecd's n qemu to test various distributions/ages of linux setups to see how compatible things were. I had not checked in at......
- DIY Home Flooring Repairs Methods by which floors are repaired depend entirely on the type of floor you currently have. Factors like the type of floor, and damage severity are important points to consider for repairs. Repairing Ceramic Tile Nothing ruins a kitchen or bathroom floor like a chipped or cracked tile. Luckily, ceramic......
- Door Installation Instructions for Knocked-Down Pre-Hung Doors Doors are something in our homes that we often take for granted. On the surface they are fairly simple, but as with most things in the home they’re a lot more difficult to deal with when you’re doing it yourself. Below you’ll find some door installation instructions to help you......
- how to get the maximum speed of your pc or laptop A pc or a laptop may take ages to respond to any command you feed into it. This is called performance. Your pc or laptop may take too long to load the information you need urgently. Sometimes it will crush when performing light tasks. You might have realized that the......
- Flashing bios pain in the neck….
- Firewire/USB card and ethernet incompatibilities on Ubuntu 6.06
- Qemu 0.8.1 speed improvement with -kernel-kqemu and kqemu 1.3.0pre7
- Ubuntu Center – web control for your ubuntu machine
- Booting from CD when a systems BIOS won’t let you