I’ve noticed several times in the last week a server of mine that is using postfix has rejected messages due to a failure in the lookup at relays.ordb.org. At first, I thought this was just a false positive in the database at ordb… but this morning I finally “caught it” while it was happening and went to pull up the ordb.org web page. It took…. 30-45 seconds and then proceeding to do a search on the rejected IP took another stretch. In looking at the logs it appears that there may be blanket rejections if the ordb.org check times out.
Here’s the postfix config setting….
smtpd_client_restrictions = permit_mynetworks,reject_rbl_client relays.ordb.org
I’ve tried to look for information, the ordb.org web page doesn’t have any news more current than 2004-05-01…
I’ve got to say the behaviour looks as though they’re just under heavy traffic, but in recent days I’ve seen several cases where the ordb.org check bounced every message for an hour or so (I’m assuming due to connectivity issues.)
Are they under attack? Overloaded?
Is there any way postfix might check the accessibility of a rbl before it tries to make use of it. (i.e. if ordb.org is unreachable skip that test.)
Unfortunately it looks like I’ll have to disable it for a time (and let in the ~400 more junk messages a day….)
As of today there is an announcement on the ordb.org site that the Open Relay Database is shutting down. Message here – it does say to expect the site to shut down by the end of this year… so, here is the text….
ORDB.org is shutting down
We regret to inform you that ORDB.org, at the ripe age of five and a
half, is shutting down. It’s been a case of a long goodbye as very
little work has gone into maintaining ORDB for a while. Our volunteer
staff has been pre-occupied with other aspects of their lives. In
addition, the general consensus within the team is that open relay RBLs
are no longer the most effective way of preventing spam from entering
your network as spammers have changed tactics in recent years, as have
the anti-spam community.
We encourage system owners to remove ORDB checks from their mailers
immediately and start investigating alternative methods of spam
filtering. We recommend a combination involving greylisting and
content-based analysis (such as the dspam project, bmf or Spam Assassin).
DNS and the mailing lists will vanish today, December 18, 2006.
This website will vanish by December 31, 2006.
Related PostsRelated Posts
- Modern Computer Viruses are almost NEVER from whom they claim to be from This is one that I've probably talked about before, but it's worth rehashing because of a call I had this afternoon. A customer had been receiving phone calls and email messages from folks asking that he stop sending them a virus. Essentially all of the viruses were claiming to be......
- Evolution email error MAIL FROM command failed: Unknown Some time back, I was teetering on the brink.... I've used Evolution as my linux mail client for ages (since I switched), because it had the calender integrated etc... However, Kontact has REALLY looked nice for some time, but I didn't have time to mess with changing. Then one day,......
- Major Bellsouth DNS issues This morning, I'm noticing some of the machines I monitor having big DNS problems. It seems to be Bellsouth.net's dns servers gone sideways - none seem to respond. On one network in particular we're having trouble getting a secondary (outside network) dns server to respond. From outside the bellsouth network......
- Boulder Creek Golf Course, Boulder Creek, CA Boulder Creek Golf Course is located in Boulder Creek, CA Phone: (831) 338-2121 Website: http://www.bouldercreekgolf.com/golf/proto/bouldercreekgolf/ Course History: This incredibly beautiful course is located in a very remote area (we've included directions below) but it is well worth the trip. The course is challenging enough for a pro while not......
- What Exactly Is SEO Hosting? SEO hosting has turned into a prevalent term in our day, and its attractiveness causes many people to ask 'what is SEO hosting?' People who regularly wonder about SEO hosting will find their answer with this article. What's SEO hosting? Why do we need it? Every single computer on the......
- Passive Income For October 2008: A New Record! I've been busy with Business School and it's been an insanely hectic month. Forget about writing posts, I haven't even had much time to sleep! I just ran the totals for passive income for October and I found out I've broken my previous record for monthly passive income that I......
- Mail Server Rejecting all Messages – Check your Blacklists relays.ordb.org is listing the WORLD
- More postfix spam blocking….
- Sendmail mail queue backed up
- More postfix spam blocking and Whitelisting….
- Bellsouth/ AT&T mail problems