What follows are some notes taken on vmware server. Most are related to an install on ubuntu-server (NO GUI INSTALLED)…. the main point of this is to have the host system take as FEW resources away from the guests as possible.
This requires a few x libraries – but not full blown X gui.
Post install I added
for my own convenience in remote access to the system.
In order to get the vmware install and vmare-mui install to work, I needed…
(*NOTE – first you should alter /etc/apt/sources.list to enable universe (and universe security updates). I also enabled multiverse (backports). After which, I did a few apt-get install ….. ‘s to get all of the following.
libdb2 (from universe for mui interface)
*(some of these installed on their own with others.. and I’m leaving out some that apt-get handled without intervention.)
The memory use of the core (host) OS WITHOUT X (base ubuntu-server install + openssh server + the above list) is ~84 MB
With an xubuntu-desktop install on top of ubuntu-server the host OS memory use is around 152MB (200-250 with a user logged in.) – so is it worth 64-128 MB of memory gained to give up the ability to do LOCAL vmware administration console tasks? I mean in effect, if you have no gui on the vmware-server you do EVERYTHING froma remote console to the server – if that’s worth the tradeoff for you I guess you’re good – otherwise you might lean things down with wdm instead of gdm for the xubuntu desktop manager and instead of xfce4 fluxbox, icewm or blackbox would be a bit lighter. I think I’d still go with ubuntu-server though for the long-term (5 year) server security updates. Just add on whichever gui you like (if you like.) – with wdm I saw about 132MB memory used (host) – 127MB (host) after login (??). All of these stats are taken through the vmware web interface where it splits the vm memory usage and the host memory usage.
(By the way – vmware-server install within a vmware-server guest OS does work. The only thing you can’t do is bridge the primary ethernet card (if it’s already bridged to the host’s ethernet card.))
Related PostsRelated Posts
- Wine-Doors the future of Windows software installing on Linux I just came across this article about wine-doors which sounds VERY promising. Of course, let me set the stage. Wine is a windows compatibility api for linux. The goal of wine is to allow windows applications to run on top of a linux system without modification (of the original windows......
- Wow serious VMWare vulnerability HOST system infection A flaw in vmware could allow malicious code to be run on the host machine according to Sunbeltblog and citing VMWare's knowledge base. This is pretty big since this is something that's not considered as a threat. (Many people use vmware and other virtual machines for malware/virus/spyware investigations because they're......
- VMWare's free VMPlayer One of the other things I had hoped to do this weekend was play around with the new VMWare player. VMware is a company that makes virtual machine software, the entry level pricing usually starting at $199 and going up from there. They've recently released a "Player" that can run......
- The Positive Aspects Of Utilizing Virtual Private Server (VPS) VPS or Virtual Private Server hosting could possibly be noticed like a intelligent alternative between shared web hosting, together having a passionate server. VPS has various benefits over other web hosting solutions including devoted server hosting. It really is the answer normally skilled challenges of online hosting an net site......
- How to Insulate Your Attic If you have found that your heating costs are going through the roof, chances are they literally are. If you do not have a properly insulated attic, all that heat is just going to escape through your roof. It’s actually pretty easy to install insulation in an attic, but we......
- Intego VirusBarrier X6 Mac Antivirus Tools Intego VirusBarrier is hands-down the top Mac antivirus software you can buy. Combining rock-solid protection, comprehensive features and a firewall everything in one usable interface, Intego VirusBarrier X6 sets the conventional of excellence on the subject of Mac security. Put simply, we didn’t find the same a higher level protection......
- VMware Server
- VMWare server 1.0 final release
- Wow serious VMWare vulnerability HOST system infection
- VMware guest unable to access USB devices
- Vmware server install on Ubuntu Dapper