Sometimes you just can’t escape work. The other day on my way home an ad came on the radio for doublemyspeed.com It reminded me somewhat of the claims finallyfast.com (read my finallyfast.com removal). Anyway, I hadn’t heard of doublemyspeed so I thought I would check them out and see if it’s as much of a scam as it sounds. They suggest that you may not need to buy a new computer if yours is slow then proceed to give testimonials of people that installed their software and their pc ran so much faster than before.
Well, in stark contrast to the testimonials in their radio ad, the testimonials I’ve seen online accuse their software (Cyberdefender or Cyber Defender) of being adware, a rogue, next to impossible to remove from your system and a general pain in the ***. Yes, it seems that there are quite a few people with some choice words for doublemyspeed.com just as they were with ascentive and finallyfast.com (Surprise, surprise – installing a new software program is not all it takes to make your computer run fast…..)
The download on their web site currently is called Early Detection Center.
Here’s one complaint in particular that claims that the free version found lots of problems that needed to be fixed and refused to fix them until it was paid for. (Sounds like so many of the rogues we’ve seen.) Other software for them did not raise a red flag on the same issues. It pops up virus warning alerts encouraging you to buy and apparently did not uninstall via add/remove programs, kept pushing popus to purchase.
For close to 20 years now I’ve suggested that people avoid software that’s supposed to make their system faster or more stable unless it’s an operating system upgrade. I remember many legitimate products that claimed to improve system stability and speed that really were huge disappoinments and haven’t yet seen ONE that delivered on it’s promises. Some that I’ve seen have come from the more respected names in the industry but I have seen each and every one cause as much trouble as they fix. That’s not to mention the products that are more than likely scams.
If you have spyware or viruses or other malware on your machine removing that will improve the speed of your pc. Adding memory will likely improve your pc speed, uninstalling unnecessary programs or replacing heavyweight software with lighter weight applications will speed up your pc. It’s VERY unlikely that you can find any product that you can install that will magically double your comptuers speed. (Unless you replace Vista with XP or Linux….)
I’m filing this in the rogue security software category since they seem to have made it so difficult to remove.
Related PostsRelated Posts
- How to Remove Antivirus System Pro | Antivirus System Pro Removal Guide Last week I had the opportunity to remove Antivirus System Pro from not one, but two machines. Given that I was seeing it a bit more frequently I thought it might be a new rogue antivirus application, but I quickly found out that it's been out at least since June......
- Finallyfast.com Removal | Ascentive PC Speed Scan Pro Oh I cringe at those commercials. You know the ones I'm talking about where everyone is whining about how slow their pc is. Wah.... "Mom this game is so slow." I just LOVE how they mention that their parent company ascentive has been featured in several major publications. (Osama Bin......
- Major botnet building and the massive jump in spam For a few months now (since the demise of bluefrog actually) I've noticed that the level of junk mail has gone up on my own mail server. Yes, I use spamassassin to filter and tag, but the volume of stuff that's tagged has gone up (as well as the volume......
- How To Select The Best Registry Cleaner Software? Most Efficient Tips That Will Unable You To Select The Best Registry Cleaner Software If you have a slow PC, the best investment for you right now would be for a good registry cleaner software. This program is the most essential thing for speeding up your PC. However it is very important to do a research on the best registry cleaner software programs available......
- Tune Up 360 TuneUp360 can auto scan and fix your computer errors with only one click. It is a kind of software which is specially designed for home users and busy people. You won't need to be a computer master. With just one click, you will get a fast, stable and secure......
- Why I'll Try to Buy a Palm Pre Tomorrow If there are supplies at my local Sprint store, I'll be the owner of a new Palm Pre on tomorrow morning. With Sprint pricing it at $199 (after a $100 mail-in rebate and a renewing of contract for two years), it's a decision that I didn't even have to think......
- MyCleanPC.Com TV and Radio Ads
- Antivirus Removal Tools
- How to Remove SecurityFighter | Security Fighter Removal
- How to Remove APCSafe | APCSafe Removal Guide
- How to Remove SystemCop | System Cop Removal