Several days ago there were announcements of the release of Mandriva 2007, only thing was, the download wasn’t available yet. Well, today the download appears available. I haven’t looked to see what differences there are between the free and the powerpack download (powerpack can be downloaded by club members as well.)
Aមុmong the things listed *(I suspect powerpack….)
* Watch all your favorite movies legally on LinDVD;
* Play video games with TransGaming’s Cedega;
* Discover FlatOut, the famous car racing game;
* Enjoy 6 months of anti-virus protection with with Kaspersky;
* Benefit from the powerful BitDefender;
* Run and manage any virtual machine with VMware Player, an integrated system virtualization solution.
Of course, vmware player is freely downloadable from vmware anyway. I do like to see that linDVD is included (at least I assume this is for powerpack and likely not the free download.) It’s very encouraging to see “value” added in return for someone putting out some money towards the distribution. Yes, I know it’s technically possible to watch DVD’s without linDVD, but there are a number of legal issues concerning it and IF there is a very cheap and legal option – good. I know, BUT WE PAID FOR THE DVD’s….
It sounds like the graphical package manager has seen a rewrite as well. I’m interested to see what it looks like. I don’t know that I’m ready to replace my Mandriva 2006 desktop yet. I’ve really been thinking about going with Ubuntu as the “next generation” of my desktop. But… I’ll definitely be installing this into a virtual machine to look at.
Related PostsRelated Posts
- Mandriva 2006 upgrade on Inspiron 8000 laptop saga Part II Well the saga continues. I suspect there will be a three as I get all software installed and mention tips and tweaks. III may not be named as such, I may just do a series of articles on little things that I've changed. At this hour I've got the KDE......
- Ubuntu 6.06 LTS release Probably the biggest news so far today, at least in linux circles is the official release of the Dapper Drake.... Ubuntu 6.06 LTS (Long Term Support) (and kubuntu and edubuntu all...). I've been playing with an install based on the Release Candidate (and now upgraded to even include KDE 3.5.3...........
- Mandriva 2007 beta 1 is out Here is a link to the info page. It sounds as though there are several images available. Mandriva 2007 Beta 1 has Gnome and KDE centric 586 and x86_64 versions of cd images for download as well as an all in one (well - both architectures in one) DVD and......
- A Simple Approach of Making and Delivering E-newsletters Newsletter making need not be very hard; everyone can essentially get it done with virtually no difficulty. The first thing that you will want to act on is deciding upon a niche for the news letter. Each e-zine will need to have a suitable topic. Any time you're selecting a......
- Self-Hosted Open Source Softwares The most simple way to publish a website or blogs are by using the open sources software. These software are mostly free and ready for upload at their respective websites. They are also compatible with most of the database and language system of most hosting servers. The software or weblog......
- Specific Off Ice Training for Hockey Goalies and Skaters The HOCKEY STRONG Training System is a complete step by step guide for hockey players looking to improve their strength, speed, stamina and stability through off-ice training.No problem the training manual has photos of all stability and flexibility exercises PLUS I have included a bonus 60-minute DVD showing all of......
- VMware Player officially released
- Virtualization | QEmu | VMWare | Virtualbox
- VM Player vmx builder
- Wow serious VMWare vulnerability HOST system infection
- Virtualbox virtualization open source availability