As reported over the last several days, there is a critical problem with RealVNC 4.1.1, there is NOW an exploit in the wild for RealVNC 4.1.1, that SANS is looking for more information on. There are updates from RealVNC for all affected product lines. Other VNC implementations have not been reported to be affected. Only (as far as I know), RealVNC 4.1.1 on Windows (prior versions may be, but the initial report didn’t indicate 4.1.0 to be vulnerable.) Don’t take the last sentence to give an excuse NOT to check, check if you have updates for your vnc product.
Here are some samples from incidents.org…
Austin from the UK reports that all shared printers in his office stated to print:
Dear Network Administrator.
Please do not be alarmed.
My team is network security specialist.
You are using a vulnerable version of VNC.
Please upgrade your version soon.
We have not accessed your data but we could have.
Have a nice day
The intrusion reportedly happened on a workstation where a visitor left a VNC server running.
He notes that “RealVNC logs all connection IP addresses in the event manager which some people didn’t know”.
An Anonymous report about the installation of typical tools installed by the warez and hacker crowd such as Serv-U and pwdump.
Related PostsRelated Posts
- OTHER Sony DRM software has security flaws too. You almost want to bury your head in the sand at this point if you're Sony.... Freedom-to-tinker has some details. The last couple weeks the XCP copy protection that Sony uses has been the center of a Firestorm for rootkit capabilities and massive security problems. Well, it seems the OTHER......
- Targetting the OS is old hat.... The Register sums up the Black Hat briefings pretty well. The Operating System level has received a lot of scrutiny in recent years for security flaws and as a result there has been a good deal of improvement there and so now, researchers are heading to the low hanging fruit......
- Sun java update process vulnerable The Java Runtime Environment from Sun has a vulnerability that's due in large part to a poor approach to updating it. IF you have not uninstalled previous versions of the JRE on your PC, they are likely still there EVEN after an update AND to make things even worse, a......
- Ethical Vulnerability Disclosure The debate on whether vulnerabilities should be disclosed to force a vendor to fix the problem in a reasonable period or kept covert until a fix has been implemented has been a big discussion in the Information Security field. Black Hats, White Hats and even Grey Hats have their opinions.......
- Regularly Checking your Credit Score is Vital In these financial times which are clearly tumultuous and tight, it is absolutely vital that you take the time and make the effort to check on your credit report and credit score on a regular basis. This statement is more true today than ever before, because we live in a......
- Credit Karma -- Free No Strings Credit Scoring Never before have Americans been so interested in their credit scores, and as such, numerous sites have cropped up offering to sell them. It can get pretty expensive if you want to keep checking your score with these sites and many people discover hidden monthly fees that rack up quickly.......
- RealVNC 4.1.2 update to patch security vulnerability
- Real VNC 4.1.1 vulnerability – Remote Access without password
- Possible network printing problems with the unofficial WMF patch
- VMPlayer on Mandriva 2006 finally…
- Apple Quicktime and OS X updates to patch multiple security vulnerabilities