This is going to sound familiar to those that have been here before, but I’ve just had a once over of a batch of machines that are going to get thrown away tomorrow and felt compelled to make a list of the top ten things to do before you throw away, give away, pitch or otherwise dispose of your computer…..
10. Wipe the hard drive before you give away your computer!
9. Wipe the hard drive before you throw away your computer!
8. Wipe the hard drive before you recycle your computer!
7. Wipe the hard drive before your computer leaves your control…….
6………………. well I think you get the point by now. ANYTIME you’re giving away a computer unless you absolutely trust the recipient with ALL of your browsing history, bank information, web logins, emails and cookie recipes…………… WIPE THE HARD DRIVE CLEAN.
It’s easy to do. I’ve had people puzzle over how to erase everything. Magnet? Take the drive out and bury it in the yard? drop it? The EASIEST, CHEAPEST and for me …. BEST way to wipe a hard drive before getting rid of an old computer is to use a tool like DBAN (Darik’s Boot and Nuke). It’s really fairly easy. The download is for a floppy or cd image. If you don’t know how to write either of those to a disc to boot from there are instructions. IF YOU DON’T think you can follow the instructions for DBAN, please find someone to help you. I can’t tell how many stories I’ve heard of people buying a used pc to find all sorts of interesting information from the previous owner.
I’d say it’s even MORE important for a business to make use of a tool such as DBAN on the decomissioning of systems. There are some limitations to DBAN. The main one currently is the lack of support for USB drives. The other biggest limitation I’ve seen comes down to peoples understanding of what it means to “wipe the drive”. I’ve had to make very clear at times that after “wiping the drive” it WILL NOT BOOT WINDOWS. That is EXACTLY what you want though when tossing out an old pc, you WANT to wipe EVERYTHING off, so that any other user has to start fresh with the PC.
So, I’ve got about 3-4 hard drives that I pulled and will be wiping while the systems they lived in are tossed out. I salvaged a few other small parts from them…. but no matter how you get rid of that pc…. WIPE THE DRIVE. Did I mention that DBAN is a free download?
Related PostsRelated Posts
- 10 things to do before hooking a Linux PC up to the net An editor at tech republic gave a challange not too long ago to Linux users to step up and offer articles along the lines of the top 10 things to do before hooking a linux pc up to the internet. Click to read the first of these submissions (I don't......
- Another Dumaru variant Sunbelt has found another keylogger in the dumaru family and has updated their free tool to scan for it and clean it up. This is the same family of trojans/keyloggers that contributed to the large ID theft discovery they made earlier in the month. From their post... The SSA-KeyLogger spyware......
- Wiping data from hard drives How often do I get to talk about this? Yahoo News has an article on a couple who, a year ago, took their PC to Best Buy to have the hard drive swapped. Best Buy assured them that the drive would be destroyed.... Recently they got a call from a......
- Buying and Selling a Computer Buying a Computer It's been awhile since I bought a new desktop computer. Liv has been around for a few years. To really begin the story of Liv, I should start with my laptop, Sarah Michelle. Most of the time Sarah Michelle runs fine - after all she's just......
- MyFasterPC Review (Why It's Not Worth the Money). I don't usually do software reviews, but software development is my day job and I know a lot of people are looking to save time and money by keeping their old PCs (or even newer PCs!) in top running condition. I've been seeing a lot of commercials for MyFasterPC.com and......
- Snapshot of The Best Registry Cleaner The first question that comes to mind is that why on earth do we need a registry cleaner in the first place? What function does it perform and is it worth buying? Experts would say thumping YES to all the questions. There are many reasons that we need to buy......
- Getting rid of an old PC – wipe the hard drive!!
- Data Security
- Wiping data from hard drives
- Another entry on DBAN (boot disk to securely wipe a hard drive)
- Flashing bios pain in the neck….