This is going to sound familiar to those that have been here before, but I’ve just had a once over of a batch of machines that are going to get thrown away tomorrow and felt compelled to make a list of the top ten things to do before you throw away, give away, pitch or otherwise dispose of your computer…..
10. Wipe the hard drive before you give away your computer!
9. Wipe the hard drive before you throw away your computer!
8. Wipe the hard drive before you recycle your computer!
7. Wipe the hard drive before your computer leaves your control…….
6………………. well I think you get the point by now. ANYTIME you’re giving away a computer unless you absolutely trust the recipient with ALL of your browsing history, bank information, web logins, emails and cookie recipes…………… WIPE THE HARD DRIVE CLEAN.
It’s easy to do. I’ve had people puzzle over how to erase everything. Magnet? Take the drive out and bury it in the yard? drop it? The EASIEST, CHEAPEST and for me …. BEST way to wipe a hard drive before getting rid of an old computer is to use a tool like DBAN (Darik’s Boot and Nuke). It’s really fairly easy. The download is for a floppy or cd image. If you don’t know how to write either of those to a disc to boot from there are instructions. IF YOU DON’T think you can follow the instructions for DBAN, please find someone to help you. I can’t tell how many stories I’ve heard of people buying a used pc to find all sorts of interesting information from the previous owner.
I’d say it’s even MORE important for a business to make use of a tool such as DBAN on the decomissioning of systems. There are some limitations to DBAN. The main one currently is the lack of support for USB drives. The other biggest limitation I’ve seen comes down to peoples understanding of what it means to “wipe the drive”. I’ve had to make very clear at times that after “wiping the drive” it WILL NOT BOOT WINDOWS. That is EXACTLY what you want though when tossing out an old pc, you WANT to wipe EVERYTHING off, so that any other user has to start fresh with the PC.
So, I’ve got about 3-4 hard drives that I pulled and will be wiping while the systems they lived in are tossed out. I salvaged a few other small parts from them…. but no matter how you get rid of that pc…. WIPE THE DRIVE. Did I mention that DBAN is a free download?
Related PostsRelated Posts
- Remote Tech Support using VNC (Ultravnc SC and x11vnc+wrapper script) Ok, some time back I'd done a writeup on UltraVNC SC, which is a nice customizable (windows version) VNC server that essentially let's someone doing remote support build their own downloadable .exe that runs and automatically tries to make a direct connection to a "listening" vnc viewer. It's good for......
- 10 things to do before hooking a Linux PC up to the net An editor at tech republic gave a challange not too long ago to Linux users to step up and offer articles along the lines of the top 10 things to do before hooking a linux pc up to the internet. Click to read the first of these submissions (I don't......
- Another Dumaru variant Sunbelt has found another keylogger in the dumaru family and has updated their free tool to scan for it and clean it up. This is the same family of trojans/keyloggers that contributed to the large ID theft discovery they made earlier in the month. From their post... The SSA-KeyLogger spyware......
- iYogi iYogi is the world’s-fastest growing provider of comprehensive direct-to-consumer and small business remote tech support.With McAfee Sec - UR -rity ... U R at the center. Get Free Tech Support for Installation and Setup iYogi has more than 200,000 consumer and small business customers across four countries for its......
- PC Care 101 - Do I Really Need to Clean My PC From the Inside Out? The question is purely academic; anyone with even a modicum of PC knowledge would know that cleaning the PC is a thorough and comprehensive job that requires tools that can do it from the outside as well as internally. Of course, this is not to say that you should be......
- MyFasterPC Review (Why It's Not Worth the Money). I don't usually do software reviews, but software development is my day job and I know a lot of people are looking to save time and money by keeping their old PCs (or even newer PCs!) in top running condition. I've been seeing a lot of commercials for MyFasterPC.com and......
- Getting rid of an old PC – wipe the hard drive!!
- Data Security
- Wiping data from hard drives
- Another entry on DBAN (boot disk to securely wipe a hard drive)
- Flashing bios pain in the neck….