This sounds like a serious vulnerability. The SecurityFix is reporting on a very serious vulnerability in AOL.
The problem affects AOL version 8.0, AOL version 8.0+, and AOL version 9.0 Classic.
The vulnerability could allow a remote attacker to take control of a users PC. Basically, all that would be needed is for the AOL user to visit a specially crafted web page.
All AOL users should upgrade to either AOL 9.0 Optimized, or AOL Security Edition AOL downloads center here.
This is of concern for a number of reasons. First, studies show that AOL has a greater proportion of “new internet users” among their membership. Those “new internet users” may not be comfortable with downloading and installing software updates. Additionally, my concern is that the dialup users will not find it practical to download the update.
Broadband users that also use AOL will find it easier to download and install the update and frankly I think will face a slightly greater risk. (If only from a greater tendency to spend longer amounts of time online and stumbling across malicious sites…)
It’s time for them to start sending out cds again I think….
Related PostsRelated Posts
- Adobe Acrobat vulnerabilities.... According to The Register among other sources, there is a vulnerability in all Acrobat and Reader software prior to the following safe release numbers: Windows and Mac Reader users please install 7.0.3 or 6.0.4 to be fixed (all other 7 series and 6 series versions are vulnerable). Acrobat users on......
- Vista UAP (User Account Protection) - too much? First let me tell you I have not seen first hand Microsoft's Vista UAP (User Account Protection) I cannot then claim firsthand experience with it, the following is and will be based on what I have read plus how it relates and compares to linux and "run as" functionality. George......
- Wordpress 126.96.36.199 Security Vulnerability According to the entry for Wordpress 1.x at Secunia.com, there is a "Highly critical" Wordpress vulnerability announced August 10th that affects all 1.x versions including 188.8.131.52 The details are in this advisory. There is not yet an updated version of Wordpress to address the issue, but there is a possible......
- Microsoft's Internet Explorer is Vulnerable to Attacks Hi Guyz, Just got the news. Microsoft Internet Explorer users, beware. There's a security flaw in all versions of the browser that leaves you wide open for attack. At least two million computers have already been infected. The exploit doesn't require users to click on links or download software from......
- Review of: Brute Force RSS (An RSS Blasting Service) Brute Force SEO has long been a popular solution for businesses and individuals looking to create a more efficient web presence online. Taking things one step further, Brute force RSS, an RSS blasting service, is creating this same type of improved web presence, but this time focusing on corporate blogs......
- Review of Sprout Builder When Sprout Builder was first released in beta, this drag and drop Flash authoring widget building environment was immediately on fire. Although there was not much wrong with the original Sprout Builder, they have recently released a much more sophisticated version of their flash building services today. The new Software......
- Network Security guide for the home or small business network – Part 18 – What about Dialup Users?
- Broadband users watch less tv
- The end for Windows 98 may be a boost to linux?
- Dapper Drake update
- RSS feed to spread the word of software updates