Ok – tv card – no name brand is now working… it was a bttv compatible card but it’s always been “strange” for lack of a better word. NOTHING under linux has seemed to correctly detect it. Sometimes I have seen it given the following settings… bttv card=72 tuner=2, but it’s “close” not working. With those settings I get the channels showing up “in the wrong places” black and white (as if it’s tuning the wrong frequencies – which it likely is.)
Anyway, I hadn’t found an entry for bttv in my modprobe.conf file when I first started looking, so I’d been trying changes in modprobe.preload. I really need to get clear in my head which does what. After trying (once again) mandrake’s (sorry, mandriva’s) tvcard wizard I noticed that indeed an entry was in modprobe.conf like this…
bttv radio=1 tuner=2
This left the bttv driver trying to guess which card to use, the log had some humerous results….
bttv0: using: *** UNKNOWN/GENERIC *** [card=0,autodetected]
Dec 16 01:09:16 localhost kernel: tveeprom(bttv internal): Huh, no eeprom present (err=-121)?
Dec 16 01:09:16 localhost kernel: bttv0: using tuner=-1
bttv0: Bt878 (rev 17) at 0000:00:0a.0, irq: 18, latency: 32, mmio: 0xee800000
Dec 15 23:24:08 localhost kernel: bttv0: using: *** UNKNOWN/GENERIC *** [card=0,autodetected]
Dec 15 23:24:08 localhost kernel: tveeprom(bttv internal): Huh, no eeprom present (err=-121)?
Dec 15 23:24:08 localhost kernel: bttv0: using tuner=-1
Anyway, now – modprobe.conf has bttv tuner=2 card=10 radio=1 gbuffers=4
which is a combination of what was there before (I don’t think I had gbuffers set). It does work though. (As does mythtv – same version as before – it seems that package didn’t get an upgrade.)
The “start new session” missing may be fixed as well. (I’ll have to wait until I log out and back in to make sure…) Under the previous version of Mandrake I was able to have something like this…
:1 local reserve /usr/X11R6/bin/X :1 vt8 -deferglyphs 16
:2 local reserve /usr/X11R6/bin/X :2 vt9 -deferglyphs 16
:3 local reserve /usr/X11R6/bin/X :3 vt10 -deferglyphs 16
:4 local reserve /usr/X11R6/bin/X :4 vt11 -deferglyphs 16
:5 local reserve /usr/X11R6/bin/X :5 vt12 -deferglyphs 16
In my /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers file and that was sourced by kdm when it started (which handles the “start new session” functionality. It seems that may not still be the case. I found a suggestion that /etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc (new location – good to see it in etc – it used to be in a terrible to remember spot on mandrake) would need…
ReserveServers=:1,:2,:3,:4,:5 added after
We’ll see if that did it after I finish the kubuntu install in this qemu image I’ve got up.
Related PostsRelated Posts
- Cutting Short, splitting or truncating mp3 files... from the command line in linux... or generating them from Wavs.... So, I've got this CD that I've made and is up for sale at lulu.com traditional hymns done as "chimes". I've spent quite a bit of time recording to hard drive, editing and getting the wav files as good......
- Linux Permissions Headache Yikes, what an evening..... it started innocently enough in the afternoon. I have an old Mandrake 10.0 server that I was upgrading clamav on (recent security update). While I was at it, I was reviewing the anti-spam setup to see if I could get any better success with filtering junk......
- Clamav 0.88.2 for Mandrake 10.0 rpms Since I have a few old Mandrake 10.0 servers out there churning along, I've rebuilt the Clamav package to reflect the recent security fix version 0.88.2 is up on the site at http://www.averyjparker.com/wp-content/downloads/clamav882/ As always, the rpms are here more for my convenience than anything else, rebuilt straight from the......
- Blog Copyright Blog Copyright is a simple wordpress plugin by the Blog Traffic Exchange. It injects a copyright notice into the blog footer. You can see it in action on this very site. The copyright notice automatically updates the year range as time goes on removing the need to ever revisit your......
- Weight Tracking (Last Attempt) Total Weight Lost: 58lbs Here is my weight tracking page... It will evolve as I get more accustomed to my new lifestyle, but for starters if you want to know about the Jumpstart Medicine weight loss program that I am following read this post WeightLadder Reset — 390lbs and Starting......
- Removing Clutter Before The Big Move Photo Credit: Steve Keys We've reach a bit more than the halfway mark on packing up the apartment for the move. I had no idea how much stuff we had until I was combing our place and discovering some things I forgot we had. I'd say I had about......
- The 2nd journey begins… Mandriva 2006 upgrade 2 – Part 10
- Linux Kernel ptrace local DoS vulnerability
- The 2nd journey begins… Mandriva 2006 upgrade 2 – Part 5
- Firewire/USB card and ethernet incompatibilities on Ubuntu 6.06
- The 2nd journey begins… Mandriva 2006 upgrade 2 – Part 9