Ok – tv card – no name brand is now working… it was a bttv compatible card but it’s always been “strange” for lack of a better word. NOTHING under linux has seemed to correctly detect it. Sometimes I have seen it given the following settings… bttv card=72 tuner=2, but it’s “close” not working. With those settings I get the channels showing up “in the wrong places” black and white (as if it’s tuning the wrong frequencies – which it likely is.)
Anyway, I hadn’t found an entry for bttv in my modprobe.conf file when I first started looking, so I’d been trying changes in modprobe.preload. I really need to get clear in my head which does what. After trying (once again) mandrake’s (sorry, mandriva’s) tvcard wizard I noticed that indeed an entry was in modprobe.conf like this…
bttv radio=1 tuner=2
This left the bttv driver trying to guess which card to use, the log had some humerous results….
bttv0: using: *** UNKNOWN/GENERIC *** [card=0,autodetected]
Dec 16 01:09:16 localhost kernel: tveeprom(bttv internal): Huh, no eeprom present (err=-121)?
Dec 16 01:09:16 localhost kernel: bttv0: using tuner=-1
bttv0: Bt878 (rev 17) at 0000:00:0a.0, irq: 18, latency: 32, mmio: 0xee800000
Dec 15 23:24:08 localhost kernel: bttv0: using: *** UNKNOWN/GENERIC *** [card=0,autodetected]
Dec 15 23:24:08 localhost kernel: tveeprom(bttv internal): Huh, no eeprom present (err=-121)?
Dec 15 23:24:08 localhost kernel: bttv0: using tuner=-1
Anyway, now – modprobe.conf has bttv tuner=2 card=10 radio=1 gbuffers=4
which is a combination of what was there before (I don’t think I had gbuffers set). It does work though. (As does mythtv – same version as before – it seems that package didn’t get an upgrade.)
The “start new session” missing may be fixed as well. (I’ll have to wait until I log out and back in to make sure…) Under the previous version of Mandrake I was able to have something like this…
:1 local reserve /usr/X11R6/bin/X :1 vt8 -deferglyphs 16
:2 local reserve /usr/X11R6/bin/X :2 vt9 -deferglyphs 16
:3 local reserve /usr/X11R6/bin/X :3 vt10 -deferglyphs 16
:4 local reserve /usr/X11R6/bin/X :4 vt11 -deferglyphs 16
:5 local reserve /usr/X11R6/bin/X :5 vt12 -deferglyphs 16
In my /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers file and that was sourced by kdm when it started (which handles the “start new session” functionality. It seems that may not still be the case. I found a suggestion that /etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc (new location – good to see it in etc – it used to be in a terrible to remember spot on mandrake) would need…
ReserveServers=:1,:2,:3,:4,:5 added after
We’ll see if that did it after I finish the kubuntu install in this qemu image I’ve got up.
Related PostsRelated Posts
- New Beagle/Bagle variant? So, I submitted the suspicious attachment I received to virustotal (firstname.lastname@example.org with SCAN in the subject and suspicious file as attachment.) What follows below is the report I received. It looks like some of the big names (Symantec, McAfee are not finding anything wrong with it at this point, with......
- More details on php exploit from last week Ok. I have a bit of time that I can sit down and get a little more detailed on what specifically happened late last week that shut the site down for a couple days. At one point, I had updated the ezcontents script for the main site (averyjparker.com), but I......
- All old scams are new again.... Last week I got a notice of this warning.... it seems that scammers are sending out emails claiming to be from the FDIC (Federal Deposit Insurance Corp.) and the email claims that the government will no longer insure your bank deposits unless you validate certain information... Apparently this first surfaced......
- Weight Tracking (Last Attempt) Total Weight Lost: 58lbs Here is my weight tracking page... It will evolve as I get more accustomed to my new lifestyle, but for starters if you want to know about the Jumpstart Medicine weight loss program that I am following read this post WeightLadder Reset — 390lbs and Starting......
- Earning a Passive Revenue With Network marketing If Ñου qυÐµÑtÑοnÐµÔ Ð°nÑ productive connect professional whÐ°t thÐµ ÆÐ°rÉ¡ÐµÑt benefit οf creating a company wÐ°Ñ, chances Ð°rÐµ thÐµÑ wουÆÔ tÐµÆÆ Ñου passive earnings(Residual Income). ThÑÑ simply suggests É¡Ðµt purchased over Ð°nÔ at the time of over once again fοr anything Ñου ÔÑÔ once. It’s extremely powerful Ð°nÔ genuinely in......
- Ebay on the Razor's Edge I recently switched from Gillette's Mach 3 Power Turbo to their new Fusion Power line. Yes it's the disposable razor with 5 blades and a battery. I recommend it, but it's fairly pricey. At the local Rite Aid and it was $28 for an 8 pack of blades. And that's......
- The 2nd journey begins… Mandriva 2006 upgrade 2 – Part 10
- Linux Kernel ptrace local DoS vulnerability
- The 2nd journey begins… Mandriva 2006 upgrade 2 – Part 5
- Firewire/USB card and ethernet incompatibilities on Ubuntu 6.06
- The 2nd journey begins… Mandriva 2006 upgrade 2 – Part 9