What a long journey it’s been and there is progress in the Sony DRM story. The main issue in the Sony controversy was the XCP DRM software (Digital Rights Management) which was made by first4internet. However, as the first rootkit was discovered, questions began about the MediaMax software (made by SunnComm) which was the OTHER DRM method that Sony made use of. As the story developed it was found that there were security flaws in the ActiveX control which was necessary to uninstall both of the DRM packages…. anyway..
The SecurityFix is reporting that SunnComm has released this uninstaller for the MediaMax DRM software that shipped with some Sony-BMG discs. Hopefully this uninstaller doesn’t introduce any other problems. I’m sure it will get a good deal of scrutiny.
We’re still waiting on fixes for the XCP software now that started this whole journey. That much said, it’s progress….
It looks like this fix does NOT address issues that freedom-to-tinker uncovered with the ActiveX uninstaller. It addresses previously undisclosed vulnerabilities with the SunnComm DRM that ISEC partners discovered while working with the EFF (Electronic Frontier Foundation). Details here (pdf).
–update 1:02 PM EST 12/7/05 –
Please read Sunncomm/Mediamax software fix FLAWED for an update on the situation.
Related PostsRelated Posts
- Sony's DRM song sounding worse by the day Well, let's see.... I didn't cover the original story since I was covered up with other work, but let me take a stab at starting from the beginning before I tell you how it's gotten worse. It seems that SONY is concerned about piracy and computers being the tools of......
- The best way to get rid of the Sony DRM rootkit The SecurityFix has a great how to article for the general public on the best way to remove the Sony DRM rootkit that's been big news the last two weeks in tech circles. First, DON'T use Sony's removal software as that introduces more security problems. Hopefully Sony will get together......
- Sony releases XCP remover Sony has had a busy day... they've released software to remove the XCP DRM program that was the start of all the recent SONY DRM rootkit controversy. Of course, the original DRM software had multiple problems in it's concept AND implementation, the uninstallers and patches since have also had problems.......
- What to Look for in Your Blogging Software There are so many choices for blogging software on the market, that it can be very difficult to choose the right one. Every software choice has its advantages and disadvantages which means that you will have to make some decisions on your needs. This will help you to determine which......
- Repairing the Tiles in Your Bathroom In this day and age, people seem to spend an ample amount of money and time working on the decoration of their bathrooms and bathroom tiles and fixtures. They spend a lot of time searching the internet so that they can find the appropriate tiles, enhancing the beauty of their......
- Sony Open at the Waialae Country Club in Honolulu, Hawaii This week in Golf featured the Sony Open in Hawaii, held at the Waialae Country Club in Honolulu, Hawaii. The Purse for the tournament was $5.5 million, with the winner taking home nearly $1 million. The field featured some well known players, including Matt Kuchar, Davis Love III, Steve......
- Sony’s OTHER DRM software uninstaller will be pulled
- OTHER Sony DRM software has security flaws too.
- SONY DRM rootkit – the gift that keeps on giving
- Sunncomm/Mediamax software fix FLAWED
- Today’s Sony DRM rootkit stories….