How-to forge has what they describe as a copy and paste how-to up on the Perfect setup for Mandriva 2006 to meet the needs of ISP’s and hosters. It’s copy-paste because they suggest copying the commands and pasting them into the putty/xterm/console window on the machine that you’re setting up. It’s welcome to see this kind of “handholding” so people can see that it really is quite straightforward to get up and running with a linux server.
The software to be installed is…
Web Server: Apache 2.0.x
Mail Server: Postfix (easier to configure than sendmail; has a shorter history of security holes than sendmail)
DNS Server: BIND9
FTP Server: proftpd
Webalizer for web site statistics
They say after this you should have a good base system to install the freely available ispconfig webhosting control panel
Obviously, especially with linux, there are more ways to skin this particular cat (it’s just a saying…), so there are many other ways to approach this, you should certainly evaluate your requirements, mileage may vary (some setups may be more complex), etc. That much said, it looks like a good 6 page walkthrough from installing the main system to getting the above services setup.
I was pleased to read about ISPConfig as a webhosting control panel too. I hadn’t heard about it before and am curious to look through their online demo.
Related PostsRelated Posts
- Multihead PC More than once I've wished for a second (or third) set of keyboard/mouse/video for my main desktop. Linux is a true multiuser operating system which means that it's capable of hosting multiple graphical logins at the same time. For MOST things, a single, modern CPU is more than adequate to......
- Thinclient PXES from 2x and thinstation I have spent about a week with the 2x page open in one of my browsers. I've been trying to get to know PXES' new incarnation. For background. PXES was hosted on sourceforge.net and was an attempt at making a multi-protocol thin-client boot distribution.... In other words, among the files......
- Exporting an active linux desktop with vnc, or vnc remote desktop under linux There are lots of ways to get a remote desktop under linux, remote X, nxserver, vnc. One of the problems though is the most common configuration doesn't let you connect to a running desktop session. There is a vnc component that let's you do this and I'm using it right......
- The Principles Of CPanel Net Internet Hosting I am positive that if you are visiting this page, you will be interested in ix webhosting. If you are a webmaster and you will need to choose between so several types of world wide web internet hosting, then you ought to possibly just settle with the cPanel world wide......
- What Is Virtual Private Server A virtual private server (VPS) is a simulated hardware of a host server that enables a remote operating system to run. In the terms of web developers, a web hosting company is able to host several 'virtual' servers through one "physical" (or host) server. A "private" server is a separate......
- BounceWeb Premium Green and FFmpeg Web Hosting document.write(''); Looking for FFMPEG Hosting? FFmpeg web hosting or FFmpeg Hosting is hosting made for media streaming and video sharing. FFmpeg converts different types of videos to the .flv video format to stream the video online on your FFmpeg hosted web site. BounceWeb's FFmpeg web hosting allows you to......
- Sendmail mail queue backed up
- Favorite Resources
- Blacklists and rejecting mail with Sendmail
- Common Networking Ports
- 64 bit chips will soon be required for Microsoft Software