How-to forge has what they describe as a copy and paste how-to up on the Perfect setup for Mandriva 2006 to meet the needs of ISP’s and hosters. It’s copy-paste because they suggest copying the commands and pasting them into the putty/xterm/console window on the machine that you’re setting up. It’s welcome to see this kind of “handholding” so people can see that it really is quite straightforward to get up and running with a linux server.
The software to be installed is…
Web Server: Apache 2.0.x
Mail Server: Postfix (easier to configure than sendmail; has a shorter history of security holes than sendmail)
DNS Server: BIND9
FTP Server: proftpd
Webalizer for web site statistics
They say after this you should have a good base system to install the freely available ispconfig webhosting control panel
Obviously, especially with linux, there are more ways to skin this particular cat (it’s just a saying…), so there are many other ways to approach this, you should certainly evaluate your requirements, mileage may vary (some setups may be more complex), etc. That much said, it looks like a good 6 page walkthrough from installing the main system to getting the above services setup.
I was pleased to read about ISPConfig as a webhosting control panel too. I hadn’t heard about it before and am curious to look through their online demo.
Related PostsRelated Posts
- Exporting an active linux desktop with vnc, or vnc remote desktop under linux There are lots of ways to get a remote desktop under linux, remote X, nxserver, vnc. One of the problems though is the most common configuration doesn't let you connect to a running desktop session. There is a vnc component that let's you do this and I'm using it right......
- Offline wikipedia revisited - fast offline wikipedia reader I've mentioned offline wikipedia access before mainly because for all it's flaws, wikipedia is probably the single largest, most comprehensive and best information resource out there. There may be other encyclopedias that are more accurate, but require subscription access... anyway for all the warts it's a great resource. To many......
- Multihead PC More than once I've wished for a second (or third) set of keyboard/mouse/video for my main desktop. Linux is a true multiuser operating system which means that it's capable of hosting multiple graphical logins at the same time. For MOST things, a single, modern CPU is more than adequate to......
- Is Saltwater Fishing Right For You? Saltwater fishing can be a lot of fun, but it isn’t right for everyone. Before you head out on the ocean and discover you are miserable, there are a few things you should think about before getting started. Here are some great tips to help you determine if saltwater fishing......
- How To Become The Best Web Hosting Provider Company This is a guest post! If you want to write for us, Contact using the Contact Me form. Every website needs a hosting service to host the site and also to stay visible to rest of the world. Literally they provide the information about hardware, bandwidth and software. Now-a-day’s web......
- Using Managed Dedicated Web Hosting Managed dedicated web hosting is for an individual or organization that wants storage and bandwidth with out the restrictions that you get by choosing a free of charge web hosting service. Should you have a website which you would like to have much more bells and whistles programmed into it,......
- Sendmail mail queue backed up
- Favorite Resources
- Blacklists and rejecting mail with Sendmail
- Common Networking Ports
- 64 bit chips will soon be required for Microsoft Software