How-to forge has what they describe as a copy and paste how-to up on the Perfect setup for Mandriva 2006 to meet the needs of ISP’s and hosters. It’s copy-paste because they suggest copying the commands and pasting them into the putty/xterm/console window on the machine that you’re setting up. It’s welcome to see this kind of “handholding” so people can see that it really is quite straightforward to get up and running with a linux server.
The software to be installed is…
Web Server: Apache 2.0.x
Mail Server: Postfix (easier to configure than sendmail; has a shorter history of security holes than sendmail)
DNS Server: BIND9
FTP Server: proftpd
Webalizer for web site statistics
They say after this you should have a good base system to install the freely available ispconfig webhosting control panel
Obviously, especially with linux, there are more ways to skin this particular cat (it’s just a saying…), so there are many other ways to approach this, you should certainly evaluate your requirements, mileage may vary (some setups may be more complex), etc. That much said, it looks like a good 6 page walkthrough from installing the main system to getting the above services setup.
I was pleased to read about ISPConfig as a webhosting control panel too. I hadn’t heard about it before and am curious to look through their online demo.
Related PostsRelated Posts
- Network Security guide for the home or small business network - Part 6 - Secure your services This one is going to be tougher. Of what we've looked at so far this will probably take more work and learning than any of the others. The good news is, depending on your situation you may need to do less here. IF you have decided that your pc (or......
- Backing up and restoring MySQL databases In the past few days I've been working on an automated backup system for both my site databases and a few others. I thought I'd take a bit to go through what I've done. It's really simple, but I suspect there are some that either don't realise it's this simple,......
- Exporting an active linux desktop with vnc, or vnc remote desktop under linux There are lots of ways to get a remote desktop under linux, remote X, nxserver, vnc. One of the problems though is the most common configuration doesn't let you connect to a running desktop session. There is a vnc component that let's you do this and I'm using it right......
- The Principles Of CPanel Net Internet Hosting I am positive that if you are visiting this page, you will be interested in ix webhosting. If you are a webmaster and you will need to choose between so several types of world wide web internet hosting, then you ought to possibly just settle with the cPanel world wide......
- Recession Not Through With Us Yet While it may seem that the nation's economy is taking a turn for the better and strides toward the positive are being made, the recession times we have been experiencing are not exactly over. With so many people starting to regain confidence in their personal finances again with just the......
- What Is Virtual Private Server A virtual private server (VPS) is a simulated hardware of a host server that enables a remote operating system to run. In the terms of web developers, a web hosting company is able to host several 'virtual' servers through one "physical" (or host) server. A "private" server is a separate......
- Sendmail mail queue backed up
- Favorite Resources
- Blacklists and rejecting mail with Sendmail
- Common Networking Ports
- 64 bit chips will soon be required for Microsoft Software