Guard Pro is a rogue antivirus application that is promoted through the use of malware and trojan horses. Once it is installed on a system it will run at startup and will scan the computer claiming to find files infected with viruses and finding security problems with your system. It will also claim that these problems cannot be solved unless you purchase this software. Please instead read for how to remove guard pro.
Your first stop in removing any application even the rogue security software such as guard pro is to visit the control panel and look for add/remove programs. Once there try to uninstall guard pro. It may not work, it may not even be listed. If it is listed try the uninstall. If it does work then you should follow up with a scan from a malware removal tool and then a trusted antivirus application. Read on for more details on a removal of Guard Pro.
Your next step should be to download a malware removal tool such as superantispyware or malwarebytes antimalware. You can find a link for the malwarebytes on my virus removal toolkit page. While you’re there you may wish to also download process explorer as it may be useful later on.
At this point try to install your malware removal tool. If it fails to install you may need to try a few tricks to make the install work. 1) rename the installer from something like mbam-setup.exe to something like iexplore.exe 2) reboot into safe mode with networking and retry the installer, 3) kill off the running processes associated with the rogue antivirus and then retry the install (see the next manual removal step for the names of the running processes.)
The running processes listed below are associated with Guard Pro and should be killed off using the task manager in order to continue with a manual removal of guard pro. If you are unable to launch the task manager you may try the following. 1) copy and paste the task manager program (taskmgr.exe) to the desktop and then rename it to something like explorer.exe 2) reboot into safe mode and see if the files listed are running. If not, install in safe mode. 3) use process explorer (mentioned above) instead of task manager to kill off the following:
The following files and folders should be deleted for a manual removal of guard pro:
%docs%All UsersApplication Data117fc
%docs%All UsersApplication Data117fcVH339.exe
%docs%All UsersApplication Data117fcVHOOK.ico
%docs%All UsersApplication DataVHMELHOOOK
%docs%All UsersApplication DataVHMELHOOOKVHJJOOK.cfg
%user%Application DataGuard Pro
%user%Application DataGuard Procookies.sqlite
%user%Application DataGuard Promozcrt19.dll
%user%Application DataGuard Prosqlite3.dll
%user%Application DataGuard ProBackUp
%user%Application DataGuard ProQuarantine Items
%user%Application DataGuard ProRootLib
%user%Application DataMicrosoftInternet ExplorerQuick LaunchGuard Pro.lnk
%user%Start MenuGuard Pro.lnk
%user%Start MenuProgramsGuard Pro.lnk
Even after a full manual removal of guard pro you will still need to follow up with a malware removal scan and a scan from a trusted antivirus application. By trusted antivirus I mean one that has a good reputation. Some examples are avg, avira, avast, trendmicro, norton, mcafee, etc. Free online scans are okay if it’s a trusted source (housecall from trendmicro for instance.) Free antivirus is fine if it’s reputable (AVG/avast/avira). These examples are not an exclusive list, but be careful and look for recommendations from good sources. Don’t fall for another rogue!
Related PostsRelated Posts
- How to Remove Safety AntiSpyware | Safety AntiSpyware Removal Guide Safety Antispyware is a rogue antivirus application that will scan your computer and claim that many files are infected with viruses and need to be deleted. The main problem is that these claims are falsified. Not only do you likely not have a virus (other than this monstrosity), but the......
- Green AV Remove | Remove Green Antivirus 2009 I'm seeing a lot of searches for how to remove the rogue antivirus green AV. It looks like it's the latest flavor of the minute in the rogue security application crowd. My usual path for removing a rogue antivirus or antispyware application is the same as any other malware, try......
- How to Remove Antivirus System Pro | Antivirus System Pro Removal Guide Last week I had the opportunity to remove Antivirus System Pro from not one, but two machines. Given that I was seeing it a bit more frequently I thought it might be a new rogue antivirus application, but I quickly found out that it's been out at least since June......
- Most Popular and Useful Security Apps for a Smart Phone The following is a post from staff writer Crystal at Budgeting in the Fun Stuff, where she writes about finding the balance between paying your bills, saving for your future, and budgeting in the fun stuff along the way. Buying a smart phone is a major investment because you spend......
- How to Remove Antivirus 2009, Spyware Guard 2008 and Other Malware My wife, kids, and I spent this past Christmas at my parents' house. It wasn't long after we arrived before I gravitated to their computer to check my email, read the news, check the stock market, etc. Much to my dismay, I found a barrage of malware, spyware, and......
- Microsoft Security Bulletin Summary for September 2010 - Issued: September 14, 2010 ******************************************************************** Microsoft Security Bulletin Summary for September 2010 Issued: September 14, 2010 ******************************************************************** This bulletin summary lists security bulletins released for September 2010. The full version of the Microsoft Security Bulletin Summary for September 2010 can be found at http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms10-sep.mspx. With the release of the bulletins for September 2010, this......
- How to Remove PC Live Guard | PC Live Guard Removal Guide
- How to Remove Additional Guard | Additional Guard Removal Guide
- How to Remove Malware Professional 2010 | Malware Professional 2010 Removal Guide
- How to Remove System Defender | System Defender Removal Guide
- How to Remove Total PC Defender | Total PC Defender Removal Guide