Guard Pro is a rogue antivirus application that is promoted through the use of malware and trojan horses. Once it is installed on a system it will run at startup and will scan the computer claiming to find files infected with viruses and finding security problems with your system. It will also claim that these problems cannot be solved unless you purchase this software. Please instead read for how to remove guard pro.
Your first stop in removing any application even the rogue security software such as guard pro is to visit the control panel and look for add/remove programs. Once there try to uninstall guard pro. It may not work, it may not even be listed. If it is listed try the uninstall. If it does work then you should follow up with a scan from a malware removal tool and then a trusted antivirus application. Read on for more details on a removal of Guard Pro.
Your next step should be to download a malware removal tool such as superantispyware or malwarebytes antimalware. You can find a link for the malwarebytes on my virus removal toolkit page. While you’re there you may wish to also download process explorer as it may be useful later on.
At this point try to install your malware removal tool. If it fails to install you may need to try a few tricks to make the install work. 1) rename the installer from something like mbam-setup.exe to something like iexplore.exe 2) reboot into safe mode with networking and retry the installer, 3) kill off the running processes associated with the rogue antivirus and then retry the install (see the next manual removal step for the names of the running processes.)
The running processes listed below are associated with Guard Pro and should be killed off using the task manager in order to continue with a manual removal of guard pro. If you are unable to launch the task manager you may try the following. 1) copy and paste the task manager program (taskmgr.exe) to the desktop and then rename it to something like explorer.exe 2) reboot into safe mode and see if the files listed are running. If not, install in safe mode. 3) use process explorer (mentioned above) instead of task manager to kill off the following:
The following files and folders should be deleted for a manual removal of guard pro:
%docs%All UsersApplication Data117fc
%docs%All UsersApplication Data117fcVH339.exe
%docs%All UsersApplication Data117fcVHOOK.ico
%docs%All UsersApplication DataVHMELHOOOK
%docs%All UsersApplication DataVHMELHOOOKVHJJOOK.cfg
%user%Application DataGuard Pro
%user%Application DataGuard Procookies.sqlite
%user%Application DataGuard Promozcrt19.dll
%user%Application DataGuard Prosqlite3.dll
%user%Application DataGuard ProBackUp
%user%Application DataGuard ProQuarantine Items
%user%Application DataGuard ProRootLib
%user%Application DataMicrosoftInternet ExplorerQuick LaunchGuard Pro.lnk
%user%Start MenuGuard Pro.lnk
%user%Start MenuProgramsGuard Pro.lnk
Even after a full manual removal of guard pro you will still need to follow up with a malware removal scan and a scan from a trusted antivirus application. By trusted antivirus I mean one that has a good reputation. Some examples are avg, avira, avast, trendmicro, norton, mcafee, etc. Free online scans are okay if it’s a trusted source (housecall from trendmicro for instance.) Free antivirus is fine if it’s reputable (AVG/avast/avira). These examples are not an exclusive list, but be careful and look for recommendations from good sources. Don’t fall for another rogue!
Related PostsRelated Posts
- How to Remove RESpyWare | RESpyWare Removal Guide ReSpyWare is a rogue antivirus/ antimalware application in the same family as Reanti,keepcop and secure keeper and unfortunately a very very long line of other predecessors. They are not much different except in their names. Probably the biggest shared trait is the annoying warnings about supposed viruses on your computer......
- How to Remove System Adware Scanner 2010 | System Adware Scanner 2010 Removal Guide System Adware Scanner 2010 is a new and aggressive rogue antivirus application. Once installed on a system it creates a program that acts as a guard of sorts for it's main process. This guard process is called noterminate and will pop up warnings and encourage users to purchase the rogue......
- How to Remove Windows Enterprise Defender (Removal Guide) Windows Enterprise Defender is a rogue antivirus application that uses the name of Windows Defender and the similarities of their name to appear as an official product or add on to windows. Of course, the real Windows Defender is a legitimate application, but Windows Enterprise Defender is a rogue antivirus......
- Most Popular and Useful Security Apps for a Smart Phone The following is a post from staff writer Crystal at Budgeting in the Fun Stuff, where she writes about finding the balance between paying your bills, saving for your future, and budgeting in the fun stuff along the way. Buying a smart phone is a major investment because you spend......
- Direct Mail - 7 Essential Elements Of An Pretty Beneficial Campaign More and more people are returning to Direct Mail to boost sales and profits. Now unlike huge corporations who may afford to throw marketing dollars in to a black hole the small and medium sized business needs to ensure each dollar has a great return on capital. If you keep......
- Outlining The Main Contrasts Between UK And US Web Hosting Website marketing is the current trend of modern business. It seeks to exploit online resources to reach out to the public. Websites are used to educate and relay specific information to internet surfers. The process of developing sites is a long one and requires a lot of planning and expertise.......
- How to Remove PC Live Guard | PC Live Guard Removal Guide
- How to Remove Additional Guard | Additional Guard Removal Guide
- How to Remove Malware Professional 2010 | Malware Professional 2010 Removal Guide
- How to Remove System Defender | System Defender Removal Guide
- How to Remove Total PC Defender | Total PC Defender Removal Guide