Ghost Antivirus is a rogue antivirus application that is the successor to Antivirus Pro. This rogue is pushed through trojan horse activity and aggressive advertising tactics. It makes things very challenging to remove this rogue because it disables task manager, as well as any security programs that it detects. It also installs other malware on your system and terminates explorer.exe which makes the desktop unusable. It is possible to remove this rogue and you need to reboot into safe mode (with networking) in order to do so. Read on for how to remove ghost antivirus.
First you should boot up in safe mode with networking. In order to access the menu to choose how to boot you will need to press F8 when your computer boots up (yet just before the Windows splash screen.) After you have made it into safe mode then you should be able to download and install malwarebytes antimalware. (From the virus removal toolkit page.)
After it is installed, update and perform a full scan. Make sure to remove anything that it finds. For your reference the following files and folders are associated with Ghost antivirus and should be deleted for a manual removal of ghost antivirus. However, due to the nature of the rogue manual removal is not suggested.
If you do delete the following files to remove ghost antivirus then you should follow that up with a scan of your computer by malwarebytes antimalware or superantispyware and then follow that up with a scan with a trusted antivirus application. The files associated with this rogue are:
%docs%All UsersDesktopGhost Antivirus.lnk
%docs%All UsersStart MenuProgramsGhost Antivirus
%docs%All UsersStart MenuProgramsGhost AntivirusGhost Antivirus Home Page.lnk
%docs%sAll UsersStart MenuProgramsGhost AntivirusGhost Antivirus.lnk
%docs%All UsersStart MenuProgramsGhost AntivirusPurchase License.lnk
%user%Application DataGhost Antivirus
%user%Application DataGhost Antivirussettings.ini
%user%Application DataGhost Antivirusuill.ini
%usere%Application DataGhost Antivirusunins000.exe
%user%Application DataGhost AntivirusUninstall Ghost Antivirus.lnk
%user%Application DataGhost Antiviruslib
%user%Application DataGhost Antivirusliblinks.txt
%user%Application DataGhost Antiviruslibproperties
%user%Application DataGhost Antiviruslibtimes.conf
%user%Application DataMicrosoftInternet ExplorerQuick LaunchGhost Antivirus.lnk
%user%Local SettingsApplication DataMicrosoftInternet ExploreriGSh.png
%user%Local SettingsApplication DataMicrosoftInternet ExploreriMSh.png
%user%Local SettingsApplication DataMicrosoftInternet ExploreriPSh.png
%user%Local SettingsApplication DataMicrosoftWindowspguard.ini
%user%Local SettingsApplication DataMicrosoftWindowsservices.exe
Remember to keep scanning with your malware removal tools and antivirus until the system comes up clean!
Related PostsRelated Posts
- How to Remove MaCatte Antivirus 2009 | Removal Guide MaCatte Antivirus 2009 is a rogue antivirus application that hopes you will mistake it for the popular McAfee antivirus. Their look and feel is very similar to that of McAfee, but as most rogue antivirus applications it is a program that will give you little more than falsified warnings about......
- How to Remove Eco Antivirus 2010 | Eco Antivirus 2010 Removal Guide Eco Antivirus 2010 is a slight twist (renaming) of the recent Eco Antivirus rogue that has made the rounds. These rogues pretend to be antivirus, or antispyware software, but in reality are not much more than a scam trying to squeeze money out of unsuspecting computer users. These rogue applications......
- How to Remove Antivirus 360 This should not be confused with Norton 360 which is a legitimate antivirus program (although if you need help removing Norton 360 to reinstall it or another antivirus program you may want to visit my antivirus removal tool list.) What we are talking about this time is a rogue security......
- 10 Free Online Budgeting Applications One of the great things about the Internet is that free stuff is everywhere. Sometimes you can even find good free stuff. It may surprise you that there are a lot of companies offering to help you budget your money for free. Before I go too much further with the......
- Setting Up Secure eCommerce for Your Small Business Setting up an online presence has many advantages for small businesses such as expanding your market and attracting new customers that can lead to increased sales. But, as the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) points out, doing business online comes with additional legal and financial considerations, especially in the areas......
- 5 Reasons to Start Corporate Blogging Now In today's fast paced world, where companies are built daily and there is a big scandal every week bringing a corporation crashing down. That is why it can be very beneficial to start a corporate blog. We will go into this and four other reasons for starting a corporate blog......
- Remove Personal Antivirus
- How to Remove Desktop Security 2010 | Desktop Security 2010 Removal Guide
- How to Remove MaCatte Antivirus 2009 | Removal Guide
- Remove Total Security 2009 | TotalSecurity 2009 Removal
- How to Remove TrustSoldier | Trust Soldier Removal Guide