Antivir is a rogue antivirus application that is pushed through web site popup ads on unsuspecting users. Basically in web browsing you may see a popup claiming that your computer is infected and you should run a malware scan. Clicking to proceed will probably show an animation of a scan which is really nothing more than an animated lookalike scan. After this it will claim that you need to downlod antivir in order to clean the supposed viruses that it found off your computer. After that the program becomes even more troublesome launching popup warnings and complaints and running scans and then claiming that your system is full of viruses. Read on for how to remove Antivir.
When this rogue is on your pc you will see numerous bogus security popups. Some will read as follows:
Trojan:W32/Inject Activity Detected
Trojan:W32/Inject is a large family of malware that secretly makes changes to the Windows Registry. Variants in the family make also makes changes to other running processes.
Warning! Identity theft attempt detected
or when trying to browse the internet….
We strongly recommend to discontinue the use of this website. This website has been reported to Microsoft for containing threats that might steal personal or financial information from your computer.
Warning! Visiting this site may harm your computer!
This web site probably contains malicious software program, which can cause damage to your computer or perform actions without your permission. Your computer may be infected after visiting such web site.
All of these warnings are falsified with no other reason than the goal of having you pay for their scam.
To remove it, first vsit the control panel and add/remove programs and attempt to uninstall it this way. If it works count yourself lucky and then follow that uninstall up with a download and scan of your computer with malwarebytes antimalware and a trusted antivirus application such as avira/avg/ or maybe trend micros housecall online scan.
You can find a download link for malwarebytes antimalware on my virus removal toolkit page. While you are there you may also want to download process explorer. If you are just starting your removal of antivir you may find this tool useful later on.
If you are unable to install malwarebytes you may have to try the following tricks. 1) rename the malwarebytes installer mbam-setup.exe to something else. try iexplore.exe and then retry the install/update and scan. 2) reboot into safe mode with networking and retry the install/update and scan (using trick #1 if necessary.) 3) proceed with the next step which is to kill off running programs associated with antivir and then retry the install,update and scan with malwarebytes antimalware. Many rogues today prevent security applications from running and or installing if the possibly can because they have been written to protect their “occupation” of your pc.
The following processes should be killed off using the task manager to help make progress in your removal of antivir:
If you are unable to launch the task manager to kill off the process you may try the following: 1) copy taskmgr.exe to the desktop and then rename it to another filename and try to relaunch it. Try renaming it to firefox.exe for instance. 2) reboot into safe mode and see if the process is running (many will not launch in safe mode.) 3) use process explorer instead to kill off the running process above.
The following files and folders should be deleted for your removal of antivir:
%docs%All UsersStart MenuAV
%docs%All UsersStart MenuAVAntivir.lnk
%docs%All UsersStart MenuAVUninstall.lnk
After you have removed the above you should have completed your manual removal of antivir. After this I would install, update and run a malware removal tool like superantispyware or malwarebytes antimalware and after a scan with that follow it up with a reputable online antivirus scan like trend micros housecall or a standalone antivirus that is reputable such as AVG or Avira.
Related PostsRelated Posts
- How to Remove AntiTroy | AntiTroy Removal Guide AntiTroy is a rogue antivirus application that is usually installed through trojans that are masquerading as a video codec update or flash player update. It usually installs without the computer users permission and will complain about many security issues with your pc. It will claim that there are virus infected......
- How to Remove Internet Security 2010 | Internet Security 2010 Removal Guide Internet Security 2010 is the name of a rogue antivirus application that is one of the more recent to be making the rounds. It will typically install itself on your system through the use of other malware. These rogue antivirus applications typically will pop up warnings and alerts about the......
- How to Remove SecuritySoldier | Security Soldier Removal SecuritySoldier is the latest in the WiniGuard Family (SecurityFIghter, SaveArmor, SaveDefender are just the names that came out in the last week.) These busy bees have pretty much just renamed the program and files. It looks the same as each of the recent previous rogues. Just as those do it......
- Mind Mapping Huh? You thought I tried to stick to topics associated with finance, right? Well, mostly. In fact, today Jeff Rose published part two of my Estate Planning article at Good Financial Cents. Here, however, I thought I take a slight detour and show you the thought process that went into......
- Review of Windows Live Writer When you find a tool that makes life easier, there is nothing more exciting. The need for corporations to simplify and systematize their processes has to do with working smart and taking advantage of things that allow workers to reach their goals without having to work quite as hard. One......
- Save Time, Money and Space in Over 80 Ways If you're looking for handy gadgets, tools and various items that can save you time, money or space (or all three!) this list of more than 80 top products is just what you need. Everyone's got saving money on their minds these days- whether your at the grocery store, or......
- How to Remove AntiTroy | AntiTroy Removal Guide
- How to Remove Personal Protector | Personal Protector Removal Guide
- How to Remove AntiMalware | Antimalware Removal Guide
- How to Remove KeepCop | Keep Cop Removal Guide
- How to Remove Cyber Protection Center | Removal Guide