Antivir is a rogue antivirus application that is pushed through web site popup ads on unsuspecting users. Basically in web browsing you may see a popup claiming that your computer is infected and you should run a malware scan. Clicking to proceed will probably show an animation of a scan which is really nothing more than an animated lookalike scan. After this it will claim that you need to downlod antivir in order to clean the supposed viruses that it found off your computer. After that the program becomes even more troublesome launching popup warnings and complaints and running scans and then claiming that your system is full of viruses. Read on for how to remove Antivir.
When this rogue is on your pc you will see numerous bogus security popups. Some will read as follows:
Trojan:W32/Inject Activity Detected
Trojan:W32/Inject is a large family of malware that secretly makes changes to the Windows Registry. Variants in the family make also makes changes to other running processes.
Warning! Identity theft attempt detected
or when trying to browse the internet….
We strongly recommend to discontinue the use of this website. This website has been reported to Microsoft for containing threats that might steal personal or financial information from your computer.
Warning! Visiting this site may harm your computer!
This web site probably contains malicious software program, which can cause damage to your computer or perform actions without your permission. Your computer may be infected after visiting such web site.
All of these warnings are falsified with no other reason than the goal of having you pay for their scam.
To remove it, first vsit the control panel and add/remove programs and attempt to uninstall it this way. If it works count yourself lucky and then follow that uninstall up with a download and scan of your computer with malwarebytes antimalware and a trusted antivirus application such as avira/avg/ or maybe trend micros housecall online scan.
You can find a download link for malwarebytes antimalware on my virus removal toolkit page. While you are there you may also want to download process explorer. If you are just starting your removal of antivir you may find this tool useful later on.
If you are unable to install malwarebytes you may have to try the following tricks. 1) rename the malwarebytes installer mbam-setup.exe to something else. try iexplore.exe and then retry the install/update and scan. 2) reboot into safe mode with networking and retry the install/update and scan (using trick #1 if necessary.) 3) proceed with the next step which is to kill off running programs associated with antivir and then retry the install,update and scan with malwarebytes antimalware. Many rogues today prevent security applications from running and or installing if the possibly can because they have been written to protect their “occupation” of your pc.
The following processes should be killed off using the task manager to help make progress in your removal of antivir:
If you are unable to launch the task manager to kill off the process you may try the following: 1) copy taskmgr.exe to the desktop and then rename it to another filename and try to relaunch it. Try renaming it to firefox.exe for instance. 2) reboot into safe mode and see if the process is running (many will not launch in safe mode.) 3) use process explorer instead to kill off the running process above.
The following files and folders should be deleted for your removal of antivir:
%docs%All UsersStart MenuAV
%docs%All UsersStart MenuAVAntivir.lnk
%docs%All UsersStart MenuAVUninstall.lnk
After you have removed the above you should have completed your manual removal of antivir. After this I would install, update and run a malware removal tool like superantispyware or malwarebytes antimalware and after a scan with that follow it up with a reputable online antivirus scan like trend micros housecall or a standalone antivirus that is reputable such as AVG or Avira.
Related PostsRelated Posts
- How to Remove AntiTroy | AntiTroy Removal Guide AntiTroy is a rogue antivirus application that is usually installed through trojans that are masquerading as a video codec update or flash player update. It usually installs without the computer users permission and will complain about many security issues with your pc. It will claim that there are virus infected......
- How to Remove Personal Security | Personal Security Removal Guide Personal Security is a rogue antivirus application that comes from the same (dreaded) family as the Cyber Security rogue. It usually installs on the users computer without the permission of the computer user. Once installed on the system it will then perform supposed scans finding lots of virus infected files......
- Makers of fake security software settle lawsuit The security fix has some news today on some bogus security software makers (the wolves in sheeps clothing as I tend to think of them...) Anyway, they're settling deceptive trade practice chargers that were brought by the FTC. SpywareAssassin and Spykiller were facing a civil suit over their ads which......
- How To Start An Online Article Directory Article marketing is a great way for online businesses to market not only their business but themselves through the content they write. A key to article marketing though is placing the article somewhere where people will be able to see it, which is where article directories come in. This article......
- World Wide Web Security Essentials Is Not A Real Spyware Remover. It Resembles The Functions And Looks World wide web Security Essentials is not a real spyware remover. It resembles the functions and looks of genuine spyware removal software but has no capacity to eliminate any virus, trojan or malware. Web Security Essentials is the newest addition to the growing list of rogue Antivirus programs. Internet Security......
- Why I Don't Use Web or Mobile Personal Finance Software With the rise of web based and mobile financial tools, I've been something of a late adopter. Actually, I'm more of a "no" adopter. Sure, I trade a few stocks online or I'll purchase a few gifts using a one time use only credit card number, but other than that,......
- How to Remove AntiTroy | AntiTroy Removal Guide
- How to Remove Personal Protector | Personal Protector Removal Guide
- How to Remove AntiMalware | Antimalware Removal Guide
- How to Remove KeepCop | Keep Cop Removal Guide
- How to Remove Cyber Protection Center | Removal Guide