MaCatte Antivirus 2009 is a rogue antivirus application that hopes you will mistake it for the popular McAfee antivirus. Their look and feel is very similar to that of McAfee, but as most rogue antivirus applications it is a program that will give you little more than falsified warnings about non existent threats to your computer and then claim to not be able to fix any of the problems unless you purchase. Of course, it really doesn’t do anything because all of the things that it has warned about are made up phantoms. Read on for how to remove MaCatte Antivirus 2009.
Among the falsified warnings you may see from MaCatte Antivirus are the following:
Spyware activity alert!
Spyware.IEMonster activity detected. It is spyware that attempts to steal passwords from Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Outlook and other other programs, including logins and passwords from online baking sessions, eBay, PayPal.
To remove this you may try through the control panel (add/remove programs) but even if that is successful I suggest using a tool such as malwarebytes antimalware and a trusted antivirus (trend micro/avg/avira/etc..) to review the system again and make sure it is clean. You may download malwarebytes antimalware from a link on my virus removal toolkit page. While you’re there you may want to also download process explorer as well.
If you are unable to install and run malwarebytes antimalware you may 1) reboot into safe mode and re-attempt the installation, updating (safe mode with networking needed for this) and scanning or 2) rename the installer file from mbam-setup.exe to something else like ernie.exe and then retry the install or 3) follow along with the manual removal step below which will have you kill off running processes associated with MaCatte Antivirus 2009 and then retry the installation after that step.
The running processes associated with MaCatte Antivirus 2009 are listed below. You should use the task manager to kill off these running processes. If you are unable to launch task manager then you may try copying and pasting the executable file for the task manager (taskmgr.exe) to a new file and then renaming it (bert.exe) then try to launch this new file or optionally use process explorer (mentioned above) to kill off the following files:
The following files and folders should be removed for a manual removal of MaCatte antivirus 2009:
%docs%All UsersApplication Datamsca
%docs%All UsersApplication Datamscamsca.ico
%docs%All UsersApplication Datamscamcull.exe
%docs%All UsersApplication Datamscamsc.exe
%docs%All UsersApplication DatamscaViruses.dat
%docs%All UsersApplication DataMicrosoftMediaWPtect.dll
%docs%All UsersStart MenuProgramsmsca
%docs%All UsersStart MenuProgramsmscamsca.lnk
After you have removed all of the above files it would be best to install and run a tool such as malwarebytes antimalware and a trusted antivirus and scan the machine to make sure that you have cleaned up all of the leftovers of this rogue. At this point you should have successfully completed your MaCatte Antivirus 2009 removal.
Related PostsRelated Posts
- So who is behind Windows Police Pro Virus / Rogue Security Software? As I've seen the continuing FLOOD of searches for some way to Remove Windows Police Pro, I've been starting to wonder at the who is behind this particular piece of junk software. These programs aren't written by your average ordinary virus writer, there is really too much spit and polish......
- How to Remove Guard Pro | Guard Pro Removal Guide Guard Pro is a rogue antivirus application that is promoted through the use of malware and trojan horses. Once it is installed on a system it will run at startup and will scan the computer claiming to find files infected with viruses and finding security problems with your system. It......
- How to Remove APCDefender | How to Remove SysProtector | How to Remove InSysSecure | How to Remove SysDefenders It looks like we've been awash in variants of the wini family lately so I'm combining three of the latest rogue antivirus applications in that family into one post. This post will talk about removing APCDefender, removing Sysprotector and Removing InSysSecure and removing SysDefenders. Some of the same steps would......
- Deep Thoughts: Social Security While reading Your Money Ratios, a book I intend to review later this week, I was particularly struck by the chapter on Social Security.Â Discussions of what will happen with this popular, yet tricky, retirement program continue to animate the national stage here in the US, and even as we......
- Trojan Horse Protection - Antivirus Trojan Software In today’s online environment it’s important to know what risks lie ahead at each click. This paper will describe so of the malicious kinds of attacks your Home/Office PC may encounter online. Now I’m sure we have all heard of Viruses online and some of you have heard of Trojans.......
- 5 Free Security Softwares - Must Use Here are 5 Free Security Softwares that you can use to combat your fear against Adwares, Viruses, Trojans, etc. 1.Avast Home Edition: Best Free Antivirus Avast is one of the best antiviruses I recommend to my friends. It is free and has many features which many of the Antiviruses lack.......
- How to Remove AntiMalware | Antimalware Removal Guide
- Remove Total Security 2009 | TotalSecurity 2009 Removal
- How to Remove SystemCleanerPro | SystemCleanerPro Removal Guide
- How to Remove AntiTroy | AntiTroy Removal Guide
- How to Remove ReAnti | ReAnti Removal Guide