ActiveSecurity is a rogue antivirus application that uses graphics to indicate a similarity with Microsoft Security Center. It installs via malware including trojans and brings several files along with it when it installs that it then claims are viral and that in order to clean up the mess the user should purchase the software. Just as with all of these this is a scam and you should run towards a removal of this piece of software whether it’s done personally or by a computer technician. Instructions for how to remove activesecurity below the fold.
It should be noted that this rogue will attempt to uninstall the following security programs that it sees as a threat to it’s “survival” on the computer: (Thanks to bleepingcomputer for this info).
* Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware
* Avira AntiVir
First off…. same as usual, go ahead and download a copy of malwarebytes antimalware ( you can find the link on the virus removal toolkit page.) You may wish to attempt uninstalling from the control panel, add/remove programs, but it’s likely that will not completely remove all of the files associated with activesecurity. Run the installer for malwarebytes, update and run a full scan. If you are unable to get malwarebytes installed you have a few options. 1) rename the installer (mbam.exe) to a different file name (henry.exe) and try again. 2) restart in safe mode and re-attempt the install. 3) follow the next step below with regards to killing off the running processes associated with ActiveSecurity and then reattempt the install and scan. (Don’t forget to update.) If you like you may proceed through the complete manual removal of activesecurity before running malwarebytes.
Open task manager and kill of the following running process:
If you are unable to open task manager you can either copy and paste the taskmgr.exe executable and then rename it george.exe, or you may wish to use process explorer as an alternative. ( you can find the link on the virus removal toolkit page.)
Next you will need to delete the following files and their folders to remove ActiveSecurity:
%docs%All UsersStart MenuProgramsActive Security
%docs%All UsersApplication DataActive Security
If it’s unclear where the files are located you may make use of windows search features to track down the files. Even after a manual removal I would still go back and run malwarebytes antimalware and a reputable antivirus scan to make sure you have completely removed ActiveSecurity.
Related PostsRelated Posts
- How to Remove Cyber Security | Cyber Security Removal Guide Cyber Security is a rogue antivirus application. It is in the same family as totalsecurity (total security Removal Guide) and SystemSecurity. This software installs through web popups and trojan horse activity makes false claims about your system being compromised by viruses and other security problems, hijacks we browser activity claiming......
- How to Remove Malware Defense | Malware Defense Removal Guide Malware Defense (or malware defence) is a rogue antivirus application that will install itself on your system and then claim that there are many security problems and even viruses on your system. It will claim that it can fix these problems (for a price) and may prevent you from downloading......
- Facebook Fan Check Application Virus Just as last week, the facebook fan check application virus rumor is making the rounds again. And also just as last week people searching for information on the facebook fan check virus are running into some of the top search results hosting malware. There were several attack sites up last......
- Removing Caulk Guide If you are planning on putting down caulk, you probably have caulk that needs to be removed. Unless you are installing something brand new, there is likely caulk left behind that has to be taken care of. The following is a brief tutorial that will give you some useful tips......
- Mastering the Art of Stair Repair Broken or loose stairs are not only unsightly, but they can also be incredibly dangerous. Repairing stairs doesn’t have to be difficult and unless they need a total replacement, you should be able to take care of it with just some basic tools. To get started, you’ll need to have......
- Save Time, Money and Space in Over 80 Ways If you're looking for handy gadgets, tools and various items that can save you time, money or space (or all three!) this list of more than 80 top products is just what you need. Everyone's got saving money on their minds these days- whether your at the grocery store, or......
- How to Remove PC Scout | PC Scout Removal Guide
- How to Remove AntiMalware | Antimalware Removal Guide
- How to Remove SiteAdware | SiteAdware Removal Guide
- How to Remove Cyber Protection Center | Removal Guide
- How to Remove Windows Enterprise Suite | Removal Guide