The computer security landscape today is such that pretty much ALL software, whether it’s Operating System, Office Suite, Web browser or device driver is at any given time “the weakest link”. One of my dreams as someone that does IT is “what IF there were an easy way to keep track of updates for software?” In fact, I would LOVE to see some sort of open source, rss based way of distributing news of updates. The way I see it working is as follows… The software writer has an rss feed reserved for product updates (one feed per product possibly?) This isn’t cluttered up with anything else, only things like…. Mozilla Firefox 22.214.171.124 – stability update – download link. Nice and simple, so that you could setup your feed reader to check the feeds of software that you use in your situation.
An “update manager” client could in theory be made to deal with a set of rss feeds, parse the download links and find an update, but there are a lot of technical questions to that. Feature updates vs. security updates is one question, but verifying the authenticity of the binary is another.
However, at the very least it would be nice if there was an rss feed that was JUST dedicated to announcing security updates for software and nothing else. I was hoping to do a post listing feeds for several vendors that did just that. SO far, I’ve come up fairly empty. Microsoft has a page at this link, unfortunately it doesn’t even appear to have information (nor does the feed) on the JULY updates and we’re now a few days from August updates. Additionally, there is extra information in other posts, so it’s NOT just about update notices.
I’ve done something close with the security updates category here at averyjparker.com….. but, I’ve also added extra information, commentary, details, etc. I’ve started a new category here with the hopes of doing part of what I describe above. It’s called “Software-update-notice” and my goal is to post there with a very simplified format. The subject of the post will detail the product name (and version if applicable.) The text will be fairly bland, perhaps even just a summary of the type of update (security update/stability update/major version change) and a download link. In the case of Windows updates, I’ll detail the number of updates (perhaps how many critical, and a link to the Microsoft update site.
My hope with this is that if I can give a consistent format it will make it easier for people to use that feed simply as a notification of updates, nothing more, nothing less.
Now, I AM putting this post in that topic as an introduction to the topic, but after that if you want further details on an update you’ll have to visit the main site here, or the security-updates feed.
Obviously I cannot keep track of updates for every software package on earth. I will do my best to give timely notice of updates of the areas that I’m able to. If this is something that’s useful to people I may try to expand coverage in the future by enlisting help from others.
I’ve now got things set so that this category should have it’s own feed (as all categories on the site should.) The directly link for this feed is http://www.averyjparker.com/categories/software_update_notice/feed/
Related PostsRelated Posts
- Apple Quicktime and OS X updates to patch multiple security vulnerabilities Apple has released Quicktime v. 7.1 for both Windows and OS X to address about 12 vulnerabilities. It looks as though all of the vulnerabilities were related to either a specially crafted images or movies (a variety of formats...) Upgrade or use another viewer... Affected file formats are.... Jpegs, Flashpix,......
- How to Remove SoftStronghold | Soft Stronghold Removal Guide SoftStronghold is the latest rogue antivirus application in the LONG line of Wini rogues... Softveteran was the most recent (see the softveteran removal guide) but.... SoftCop (see the SoftCop removal guide.) But, the line goes much further back.... Softsoldier (How to remove SoftSoldier), ( TrustFighter TrustFighter Removal Guide, TrustSoldier removal......
- Internet Explorer in standalone mode? Now, it can be useful to run several versions of the same program at the same time (especially if it's a web browser.) I've accomplished this under linux with internet explorer, but didn't realize there was a way to do so on Windows. Sunbelt blog found a good guide to......
- 3 Traffic Generation Techniques For Your Website Blogs have become quite commonplace these days and are a very known way to reach targeted readers. However, beginning a blog is just the first step because then you must be dedicated to getting targeted traffic. If no one is can see your blog then why should it be createdIn......
- Tweets & Twitterings finally got something done today while listening to Andy Edmond speak .. http://tinyurl.com/69d5xf # Web Page Optimization Components 1: How To Rise In The SERPs and add z.. http://tinyurl.com/6nzx2v # testing twitter tools Tags: tweets Related posts No related posts. http://tinyurl.com/3ryp2m # must have coffee # Congrats John, Goood......
- Finding the Right Financial Planner Market losses and chaotic market behavior increase the need for accurate and unbiased retirement and financial planning advice. Tax rates will have to sharply increase to pay for recent government rescues and bailouts. Baby boomers and others seeking to accumulate and preserve wealth will adjust their financial goals and reconsider present and future money strategies......
- WordPress Category RSS feed links
- GMail vulnerability on Atom feed?
- Google Reader cache-ing feed behavior
- Keeping up with news through RSS feeds.
- FeedForAll tweaking