The computer security landscape today is such that pretty much ALL software, whether it’s Operating System, Office Suite, Web browser or device driver is at any given time “the weakest link”. One of my dreams as someone that does IT is “what IF there were an easy way to keep track of updates for software?” In fact, I would LOVE to see some sort of open source, rss based way of distributing news of updates. The way I see it working is as follows… The software writer has an rss feed reserved for product updates (one feed per product possibly?) This isn’t cluttered up with anything else, only things like…. Mozilla Firefox 18.104.22.168 – stability update – download link. Nice and simple, so that you could setup your feed reader to check the feeds of software that you use in your situation.
An “update manager” client could in theory be made to deal with a set of rss feeds, parse the download links and find an update, but there are a lot of technical questions to that. Feature updates vs. security updates is one question, but verifying the authenticity of the binary is another.
However, at the very least it would be nice if there was an rss feed that was JUST dedicated to announcing security updates for software and nothing else. I was hoping to do a post listing feeds for several vendors that did just that. SO far, I’ve come up fairly empty. Microsoft has a page at this link, unfortunately it doesn’t even appear to have information (nor does the feed) on the JULY updates and we’re now a few days from August updates. Additionally, there is extra information in other posts, so it’s NOT just about update notices.
I’ve done something close with the security updates category here at averyjparker.com….. but, I’ve also added extra information, commentary, details, etc. I’ve started a new category here with the hopes of doing part of what I describe above. It’s called “Software-update-notice” and my goal is to post there with a very simplified format. The subject of the post will detail the product name (and version if applicable.) The text will be fairly bland, perhaps even just a summary of the type of update (security update/stability update/major version change) and a download link. In the case of Windows updates, I’ll detail the number of updates (perhaps how many critical, and a link to the Microsoft update site.
My hope with this is that if I can give a consistent format it will make it easier for people to use that feed simply as a notification of updates, nothing more, nothing less.
Now, I AM putting this post in that topic as an introduction to the topic, but after that if you want further details on an update you’ll have to visit the main site here, or the security-updates feed.
Obviously I cannot keep track of updates for every software package on earth. I will do my best to give timely notice of updates of the areas that I’m able to. If this is something that’s useful to people I may try to expand coverage in the future by enlisting help from others.
I’ve now got things set so that this category should have it’s own feed (as all categories on the site should.) The directly link for this feed is http://www.averyjparker.com/categories/software_update_notice/feed/
Related PostsRelated Posts
- How to Remove SoftStronghold | Soft Stronghold Removal Guide SoftStronghold is the latest rogue antivirus application in the LONG line of Wini rogues... Softveteran was the most recent (see the softveteran removal guide) but.... SoftCop (see the SoftCop removal guide.) But, the line goes much further back.... Softsoldier (How to remove SoftSoldier), ( TrustFighter TrustFighter Removal Guide, TrustSoldier removal......
- Another update on the 0day Explorer exploit Well, it looks like quite a bit took place while I was out on the "zero day exploit front". It looks as though there is another update at The Sans Institute. The first thing to notice is that they've raised their alert level to Yellow over the impending active exploitation......
- Microsoft Update day for September.... AND Flash... AND Apple Yesterday, of course, Microsoft released it's monthly patches. I found the Windows update site to be painfully slow (and in some cases unresponsive.) It wasn't quite a huge update day by recent standards, but here's the summary.... Incidents.org has a nice chart showing the two re-released patches (one is actually......
- SEO Link Building In 4 Easy Steps Link building is a very important tactic in SEO, and it helps to drive traffic to your website. Link building can help you to increase your amount of referral links to your site, and it also helps to increase your ranking on popular search engine like Google and Yahoo. There......
- 7 Ideas on Making Corporate Blogging More Efficient Sometimes increasing the efficiency of a corporate blog is as simple as implementing some small but powerful steps. Here are a few incredibly intelligent ideas for corporate blogging that will allow you to be more efficient and more effective as a result. 1 - When there is a lot of......
- The Link Juicer - 30 Days Free My Number One Link Building Tool SEO after Googles panda update has been hit or miss for many internet marketers, but out of this I have discovered many seo techniques from years gone by now have begun working with great results and The Link Juicer is one such site.......
- WordPress Category RSS feed links
- GMail vulnerability on Atom feed?
- Google Reader cache-ing feed behavior
- Keeping up with news through RSS feeds.
- FeedForAll tweaking