The computer security landscape today is such that pretty much ALL software, whether it’s Operating System, Office Suite, Web browser or device driver is at any given time “the weakest link”. One of my dreams as someone that does IT is “what IF there were an easy way to keep track of updates for software?” In fact, I would LOVE to see some sort of open source, rss based way of distributing news of updates. The way I see it working is as follows… The software writer has an rss feed reserved for product updates (one feed per product possibly?) This isn’t cluttered up with anything else, only things like…. Mozilla Firefox 184.108.40.206 – stability update – download link. Nice and simple, so that you could setup your feed reader to check the feeds of software that you use in your situation.
An “update manager” client could in theory be made to deal with a set of rss feeds, parse the download links and find an update, but there are a lot of technical questions to that. Feature updates vs. security updates is one question, but verifying the authenticity of the binary is another.
However, at the very least it would be nice if there was an rss feed that was JUST dedicated to announcing security updates for software and nothing else. I was hoping to do a post listing feeds for several vendors that did just that. SO far, I’ve come up fairly empty. Microsoft has a page at this link, unfortunately it doesn’t even appear to have information (nor does the feed) on the JULY updates and we’re now a few days from August updates. Additionally, there is extra information in other posts, so it’s NOT just about update notices.
I’ve done something close with the security updates category here at averyjparker.com….. but, I’ve also added extra information, commentary, details, etc. I’ve started a new category here with the hopes of doing part of what I describe above. It’s called “Software-update-notice” and my goal is to post there with a very simplified format. The subject of the post will detail the product name (and version if applicable.) The text will be fairly bland, perhaps even just a summary of the type of update (security update/stability update/major version change) and a download link. In the case of Windows updates, I’ll detail the number of updates (perhaps how many critical, and a link to the Microsoft update site.
My hope with this is that if I can give a consistent format it will make it easier for people to use that feed simply as a notification of updates, nothing more, nothing less.
Now, I AM putting this post in that topic as an introduction to the topic, but after that if you want further details on an update you’ll have to visit the main site here, or the security-updates feed.
Obviously I cannot keep track of updates for every software package on earth. I will do my best to give timely notice of updates of the areas that I’m able to. If this is something that’s useful to people I may try to expand coverage in the future by enlisting help from others.
I’ve now got things set so that this category should have it’s own feed (as all categories on the site should.) The directly link for this feed is http://www.averyjparker.com/categories/software_update_notice/feed/
Related PostsRelated Posts
- Spyware news and musings It's funny, in the last couple days 180solutions had a blog post that was somewhat... what's the term I'm looking for ? well they were quite defensive and concerned about "anti-spyware zealots" about "Scanning companies" and trying to work with them to explain their business model. Of course, legal action......
- Apple Quicktime and OS X updates to patch multiple security vulnerabilities Apple has released Quicktime v. 7.1 for both Windows and OS X to address about 12 vulnerabilities. It looks as though all of the vulnerabilities were related to either a specially crafted images or movies (a variety of formats...) Upgrade or use another viewer... Affected file formats are.... Jpegs, Flashpix,......
- Internet Explorer in standalone mode? Now, it can be useful to run several versions of the same program at the same time (especially if it's a web browser.) I've accomplished this under linux with internet explorer, but didn't realize there was a way to do so on Windows. Sunbelt blog found a good guide to......
- Finding the Right Financial Planner Market losses and chaotic market behavior increase the need for accurate and unbiased retirement and financial planning advice. Tax rates will have to sharply increase to pay for recent government rescues and bailouts. Baby boomers and others seeking to accumulate and preserve wealth will adjust their financial goals and reconsider present and future money strategies......
- Antivirus Software Vs. Internet Security Software Lots of individuals believe that antivirus software and internet security software are same. While they protect your PC and avoid it from being attacked and infected by threats, they have exact roles in terms of defense and safety for your PC. Antivirus software can be installed on your personal computer......
- Review of: Brute Force RSS (An RSS Blasting Service) Brute Force SEO has long been a popular solution for businesses and individuals looking to create a more efficient web presence online. Taking things one step further, Brute force RSS, an RSS blasting service, is creating this same type of improved web presence, but this time focusing on corporate blogs......
- WordPress Category RSS feed links
- GMail vulnerability on Atom feed?
- Google Reader cache-ing feed behavior
- Keeping up with news through RSS feeds.
- FeedForAll tweaking