SunbeltBlog is talking about a new sign that Google is stepping up to try to protect users against potentially malicious sites. They have a screenshot, which I was able to verify, that gives a warning before allowing a user to proceed to a page that “Warning – the site you are about to visit may harm your computer!”. Very good, I suspect they’re either tagging sites based on certain keywords or perhaps even binary blobs found?
They point to stopbadware.org for more information about malware. Essentially the text goes like this….
Warning – the site you are about to visit may harm your computer!
You can learn more about malware and how to protect yourself at StopBadware.org.
Return to the previous page and pick another result.
Try another search to find what you’re looking for.
Or you can continue to http://thisbadsite/.
advisory provided by Google
OK – after READING the page at stopbadware.org – these pages are given warnings if there has been a report filed at stopbadware.org….. currently the link on the warning page goes to the main stopbadware page, but at a future point will likely go to a “report” page related to the site in question.
Since this requires user participation to expand their list of reports on sites… I’m going to make it one of the useful sites in the link list on the main page.
The security fix is covering this news as well and has done a slight comparison to Site Advisor. It is good to see Google starting to tackle this. There were surveys within the year that pointed out how risky many of the search results are.
Related PostsRelated Posts
- How to Remove SoftStronghold | Soft Stronghold Removal Guide SoftStronghold is the latest rogue antivirus application in the LONG line of Wini rogues... Softveteran was the most recent (see the softveteran removal guide) but.... SoftCop (see the SoftCop removal guide.) But, the line goes much further back.... Softsoldier (How to remove SoftSoldier), ( TrustFighter TrustFighter Removal Guide, TrustSoldier removal......
- Being cautious on the web... Incidents.org is reporting on the defacement of a security related web site (winsnort.com). They say they usually decline to comment on those because the attention is what the defacers thrive on. However, it does pay to keep your browser updated and antivirus current. What's more.... Several days ago there was......
- Phishing - Bank of the West Notice part three... (deeper sigh) You'll notice I haven't mentioned the URL of the phishing site thus far. That is, in part, because I feel as though it would be irresponsible. That someone might come across this and take advantage of the fact that the site is still up and running to harvest account information.......
- Get Paid Having Pay Per Click Are you intending to earn more income? Is it your goal to switch that computer you spent a lot money on right into a cash cow? Well it is possible. It won't happen overnight but with time and hard work you'll soon be functioning from their home if you choose.......
- Increasing Your Page Rank Through Link Building Along with Search Engine Optimization (SEO) to increase your website’s page ranking, link building is another way to raise the position of your site in the eyes of prospects and search engine results. Link Building is most effective as one part of a fully developed SEO strategy for your......
- Search Engine Secrets - Get Top Listings On Google & Yahoo! Let me show you How to Get Top Listings for every page of your site and Rank #1 for all of your Keywords in the Search Engines - Guaranteed. Did you believe this? If your like me you've probably seen a million pages and emails like this that claim they......
- The junk that you will find in web access logs
- Google adds more languages
- Google Big daddy update….
- Time to start cleaning out sites – the internet’s getting too full….
- More google news sitemaps….