SunbeltBlog is talking about a new sign that Google is stepping up to try to protect users against potentially malicious sites. They have a screenshot, which I was able to verify, that gives a warning before allowing a user to proceed to a page that “Warning – the site you are about to visit may harm your computer!”. Very good, I suspect they’re either tagging sites based on certain keywords or perhaps even binary blobs found?
They point to stopbadware.org for more information about malware. Essentially the text goes like this….
Warning – the site you are about to visit may harm your computer!
You can learn more about malware and how to protect yourself at StopBadware.org.
Return to the previous page and pick another result.
Try another search to find what you’re looking for.
Or you can continue to http://thisbadsite/.
advisory provided by Google
OK – after READING the page at stopbadware.org – these pages are given warnings if there has been a report filed at stopbadware.org….. currently the link on the warning page goes to the main stopbadware page, but at a future point will likely go to a “report” page related to the site in question.
Since this requires user participation to expand their list of reports on sites… I’m going to make it one of the useful sites in the link list on the main page.
The security fix is covering this news as well and has done a slight comparison to Site Advisor. It is good to see Google starting to tackle this. There were surveys within the year that pointed out how risky many of the search results are.
Related PostsRelated Posts
- Google Analytics update Well, I mentioned the release of Google Analytics yesterday which really looks promising. At this hour I can still say it looks promising. I had a funny thought after trying several times yesterday to get set up... it was a "good going, you just broke google" kind of thought. It......
- Page banned from Google? So for the past month and a half I've been puzzling over northcarolinagenealogy.net and it's mysterious sudden disappearance from google. I mean... let's see, there are a couple hundred posts there. It uses the same template as this and the South Carolina genealogy site do. Nothing really different than the......
- How to Remove AntiKeep | AntiKeep Removal Guide AntiKeep is a rogue antivirus application from the same family as ReAnti and AntiAdd which we've written about in the last few days. Like many of these rogue application they will try to trick you into consenting to install it, or install without your permission. They will claim that there......
- Get Paid Having Pay Per Click Are you intending to earn more income? Is it your goal to switch that computer you spent a lot money on right into a cash cow? Well it is possible. It won't happen overnight but with time and hard work you'll soon be functioning from their home if you choose.......
- Learn How You Too Can Get on the Front Page of Google You are likely to find that 80% of your organic traffic comes through Google, which is why it is considered one of the most important sources of traffic in the world. Getting to the top of Google is clearly important and the best way to do it is to focus......
- Best SEO Tips to Google Adwords Google had established its supremacy amongst the ranks of search engines being the most preferred and most popular search engine on the web. I remember the instance when the son of a friend of mine refused to accept the information we gave him about Christmas, until he was convinced......
- The junk that you will find in web access logs
- Google adds more languages
- Google Big daddy update….
- Time to start cleaning out sites – the internet’s getting too full….
- More google news sitemaps….