SunbeltBlog is talking about a new sign that Google is stepping up to try to protect users against potentially malicious sites. They have a screenshot, which I was able to verify, that gives a warning before allowing a user to proceed to a page that “Warning – the site you are about to visit may harm your computer!”. Very good, I suspect they’re either tagging sites based on certain keywords or perhaps even binary blobs found?
They point to stopbadware.org for more information about malware. Essentially the text goes like this….
Warning – the site you are about to visit may harm your computer!
You can learn more about malware and how to protect yourself at StopBadware.org.
Return to the previous page and pick another result.
Try another search to find what you’re looking for.
Or you can continue to http://thisbadsite/.
advisory provided by Google
OK – after READING the page at stopbadware.org – these pages are given warnings if there has been a report filed at stopbadware.org….. currently the link on the warning page goes to the main stopbadware page, but at a future point will likely go to a “report” page related to the site in question.
Since this requires user participation to expand their list of reports on sites… I’m going to make it one of the useful sites in the link list on the main page.
The security fix is covering this news as well and has done a slight comparison to Site Advisor. It is good to see Google starting to tackle this. There were surveys within the year that pointed out how risky many of the search results are.
Related PostsRelated Posts
- Being cautious on the web... Incidents.org is reporting on the defacement of a security related web site (winsnort.com). They say they usually decline to comment on those because the attention is what the defacers thrive on. However, it does pay to keep your browser updated and antivirus current. What's more.... Several days ago there was......
- Google Analytics update Well, I mentioned the release of Google Analytics yesterday which really looks promising. At this hour I can still say it looks promising. I had a funny thought after trying several times yesterday to get set up... it was a "good going, you just broke google" kind of thought. It......
- How to Remove AntiKeep | AntiKeep Removal Guide AntiKeep is a rogue antivirus application from the same family as ReAnti and AntiAdd which we've written about in the last few days. Like many of these rogue application they will try to trick you into consenting to install it, or install without your permission. They will claim that there......
- Corporate Blogging Link Building Strategies An important part of promoting your corporate blog is making sure that you have plenty of good inbound links coming into your site. This can help increase your overall popularity, as well as how search engines rank your site. While there are some methods of building links that promise the......
- Search Engine Secrets - Get Top Listings On Google & Yahoo! Let me show you How to Get Top Listings for every page of your site and Rank #1 for all of your Keywords in the Search Engines - Guaranteed. Did you believe this? If your like me you've probably seen a million pages and emails like this that claim they......
- The Value Of On-Page Optimization To Your Business There is no debating the fact that effective on-page search engine optimization principles need to be followed if you ever hope to rank in Google. Keep reading to discover how to get your site on board with effective on-page optimization. What have just talked about is crucial for your knowledge......
- The junk that you will find in web access logs
- Google adds more languages
- Google Big daddy update….
- Time to start cleaning out sites – the internet’s getting too full….
- More google news sitemaps….