After I did my “Kiosk” upgrade to KDE 3.5.2 I was really interested to see if Konqueror would finally work with Google Maps, of course, the problem isn’t with Konqueror it’s with the browser detection. Konqueror uses something called khtml to render web pages. It’s really a fairly good/standards compliant ACID test passing engine. So much so that Apple thought they would base Safari on it. The problem is that some websites recognize “Safari” in the User agent and say, “sorry, we don’t support you” if the browser user agent claims Konqueror….
Some of Googles services are that way… so… this discussion on the dot at kde… and this slashdot discussion on the release of konqueror 3.5 essentially laid it out.
Change the user agent for the maps.google.com or local.google.com site to Safari.
How to do this?
In konqueror…. Tools menu… “Change browser identification”, click the button labeled “NEW”, “When Browsing the Following site:” I entered google.com (may as well go ahead and hit all their services as safari….) “Use the following identification”…. Scroll all the way down to “Safari 1.2.4 on Mac OS X”. Then Click OK and then click OK again. Google maps now works.
Additionally, you could email google and tell them to fix things, but… you’ll likely get a form letter back asking you to use a supported browser… blah blah blah…. Maybe at some point they’ll realize that Konqueror IS a supported browser for SOME of their services even though they didn’t realize it.
I still can’t seem to get the Google Notebook Fullpage to work correctly…. I may have to try another User Agent, or it may be another issue…..
Related PostsRelated Posts
- The security of remote tech support (ultravnc sc or x11vnc with wrapper script) Well, I've got a nice way of doing "easy" one click (or one cut and paste) light desktop support for windows or linux, one uses ultravnc sc, the other uses x11vnc with a special wrapper script. So, what security flaws are there in this process? Well, for starters, I see......
- Remote Tech Support with x11vnc and wrapper script So, the idea is that I wanted something "like" the Ultranvnc Single Click download, only for linux. The main idea being is that if someone is looking for a bit of desktop tech support on linux, we don't need to be giving instructions for 5 different package managers, or source......
- Big Ubuntu Linux news This is something that really looks interesting. Recently Linspire announced their intent to open source the CNR (Click N Run) concept for installing software, launching a wiki based web site that would allow supported linux distributions to install software (open source or commercial) with as easy a process as possible......
- Getting Ready for the Triathlon Season Seeing snow everywhere and feeling temperatures that would make a bear run inside, most people would not think to engage in swimming, running or biking. However, the Decatur Multisport Club, or the Tri-Gators as it is lovingly known as, are starting the year by preparing for the new Triathlon season......
- How To Discover Inexpensive Search Engine Optimization Companies Search Engine Optimization is a key tool to building a credible fame online. Here is a little statistical detail; over eighty p.c of the Web users in the United States make use of search engines like google and yahoo to find a services or products on the web. That amounts......
- What You Need From a WordPress Hosting Company Wordpress has taken over the world of websites and blogs, creating a simple and easy way for individuals get information out into the world of the Internet. The system gives users an incredibly easy platform to create the blogs, information, and news sites that they need to be successful. The......
- Google Maps upgrade
- One alternative to Google Book (formerly Google Print)
- User agent spoofing
- KDE 3.5 released
- Linux Market Share Growing Faster than Apple! | Linux adoption rate beats iPhone