There are acouple situations where my systems memory needs have exceeded the supply. The most likely cases are running virtual machines and building cd/dvd images. Those things realistically take LOT’s of memory. I have a swap partition – I don’t recall the size right off. I have about 512 MB on the desktop and probably for what I do could use to double that. Swap space, of course, is what the operating system uses when all the physical memory (RAM) is used.
The situations I’ve seen needing more memory are this. Building a cd or dvd image… the process starts off quite well, fairly quickly. But as it progresses, let’s say to 70% or so in the cd image building the desktop responsiveness slows, the hard drive is thrashing and if you manage to look at “top” or free, you find a VERY minimal amount of memory is actually free swap or RAM. So, what to do? If you’re lucky enough to be able to get to a console you can actually add swap on the fly and return to some responsiveness. If it’s swapping too hard, you may just wind up waiting it out (or rebooting, to many people it looks like a hard system freeze.)
Linux can deal with a swap partition, or a file designated as a swapfile (or multiple files…) Here’s how to add swap space.
Create a 1GB swap file with the following
dd if=/dev/zero of=swapfile bs=1024 count=1M
Next Use the following to “format” the new swap file. Similarly for a new swap partition.
/sbin/mkswap -c swapfile
Now Set swap file ownership and permissions
chown root.root swapfile; chmod 0600 swapfile
Optionally add the new swap space entry to /etc/fstab. (if swap is to be activated at each boot.)
Eg. swapfile swap swap defaults 0 0
Finally Enable the new swapspace(s) with
/sbin/swapon -a (if entry is in fstab)
/sbin/swapon /path/to/newswap (if this is to be temporary.)
Related PostsRelated Posts
- How to Remove TrustFighter | Trust Fighter Removal Guide TrustFighter sports a very familiar face, but a different name. Trustfighter is a rogue security application that is in the long line of similar applications such as TrustSoldier (TrustSoldier removal guide) and the following others... SafeFighter (Safefighter Removal), TrustCop (TrustCop Removal Guide), SecureWarrior (SecureWarrior Removal), SecurityFighter (SecurityFighter Removal), SecuritySoldier (SecuritySoldier......
- Remote Tech Support with x11vnc and wrapper script So, the idea is that I wanted something "like" the Ultranvnc Single Click download, only for linux. The main idea being is that if someone is looking for a bit of desktop tech support on linux, we don't need to be giving instructions for 5 different package managers, or source......
- Crossroads At this point, I doubt anyone is seeing this as the wordpress test install is not live to the public yet, but... I'm opening this one up for comments. On the old site, I had accumulated a bit of content along the lines of windows/linux tips, software recommendations and tech......
- Create Autorun for your CD's and DVD's The compact disk drive auto play feature, common to most operating systems, is a good way to simplify user experience. Auto play is controlled by a simple text-only file called autorun.inf. While there are dozens of software utilities available that will help you create the file, all you really need......
- Tech Support - Funny Video Series While surfing through Youtube, I stumbled across this fun-filled tech support video series. All of the videos are sure to give you good amount of chuckle. I liked all of them, but first one is my favorite. Surely a stress buster after a bad day in office :) Enjoy! Tech......
- FireFox 3 FireFox 3 Launches Download Day Arrives Today June 17th at 10AM PST marks the long promised FireFox 3.0 Download Day Release. Up to 5 million downloads are expected to occur which if reached, would set a Guinness World Record for the most single piece of software downloads in a single......
- Sleuthkit – windows and linux file recovery
- Drive images – filling free space with zeros
- Free Ext2 Ext3 driver for Windows
- More linux software raid fun
- Useful Linux Utilities