Ouch, Dell is recalling 35,000 notebook batteries that were shipped between October 5rd and 13th of this year. They were made in China or Japan and “pose a risk of fire.” There is a web-site setup by Dell on the issue… here.
They also suggest
“Batteries subject to recall should not be used while awaiting a replacement battery pack from Dell, it says.”
So, take those batteries out of the laptop and treat it as a power-cable only device.
That makes the concept of a laptop a bit more dangerous….
Anyway when you think about the power density in modern laptop batteries it is a relatively scary amount of power stored in a small object.
You might be looking for a MORE RECENT recall of over 4 million Dell laptop batteries.
Related PostsRelated Posts
- Dell 17" laptop advisory... (9400/e1705/m1710/m90 even Inspiron 6400) Shocking bit of news here.... (sorry, I couldn't help it.) This is a serious piece though. Apparently the Dell models listed above (Inspiron) and their other 17" cousins may be affected by a rather peculiar, but serious problem. The screws on the bottom may be putting out 19-65 volts AC......
- Windows Vista Beta notes... What follows are some notes that I've taken on the Vista beta that I installed into a VM. I've got a lot of toying around yet to do with it (and at least one Internet Explorer bug I want to mention.) But... I'll go ahead and post this. [warning -......
- How to use wireless networking on a laptop This is one that I run into from time to time. Most laptops the last year or two (actually maybe a bit longer), have built in wireless networking. This is great and makes for easy access to wireless access points just about anywhere. In fact, most current operating systems (Windows......
- Dell Launches Its First Rugged Touch-screen Laptop Dell on Tuesday is expected to launch the tough Latitude E6400 XFR laptop with a touch screen, which the company claims can withstand drops, dust and high-pressure water sprays. The rugged laptop was designed according to U.S. military specifications and is being targeted at users such as military personnel and......
- Your Guideline To A Computer A notebook or laptop are few things but a small portable computer that weighs 2.2 to 18 pounds (1 to 8 kg), that depends on its brand, style, size, material it really is made of, and many other factors. Notebooks generally work on a single main battery or via......
- Green Hybrid Electric Vehicles and Toyota Prius Hybrid vehicles are being converted by their owners into vehicles that run purely on electricity. People who drive hybrid vehicles that are easy on gas to begin with are becoming increasingly interested in the idea of converting their vehicles from completely gasoline powered to completely electricity based like many of......
- Massive Dell Laptop Battery recall
- Power breakthrough for mobile devices?
- Tools of the trade – USB2.0 to IDE & SATA Cable
- Dell 17″ laptop advisory… (9400/e1705/m1710/m90 even Inspiron 6400)
- Dell Mini Notebooks – Very Nice