Ouch, Dell is recalling 35,000 notebook batteries that were shipped between October 5rd and 13th of this year. They were made in China or Japan and “pose a risk of fire.” There is a web-site setup by Dell on the issue… here.
They also suggest
“Batteries subject to recall should not be used while awaiting a replacement battery pack from Dell, it says.”
So, take those batteries out of the laptop and treat it as a power-cable only device.
That makes the concept of a laptop a bit more dangerous….
Anyway when you think about the power density in modern laptop batteries it is a relatively scary amount of power stored in a small object.
You might be looking for a MORE RECENT recall of over 4 million Dell laptop batteries.
Related PostsRelated Posts
- Protecting your computer hardware from Lightning I think it was last night on the local news, they led with a story about a local family that, during a recent thunderstorm heard/saw a very close lightning hit. They had some nice film footage of a tree that had its bark completely blown away and a nice rip......
- Windows Vista Beta notes... What follows are some notes that I've taken on the Vista beta that I installed into a VM. I've got a lot of toying around yet to do with it (and at least one Internet Explorer bug I want to mention.) But... I'll go ahead and post this. [warning -......
- Dell 17" laptop advisory... (9400/e1705/m1710/m90 even Inspiron 6400) Shocking bit of news here.... (sorry, I couldn't help it.) This is a serious piece though. Apparently the Dell models listed above (Inspiron) and their other 17" cousins may be affected by a rather peculiar, but serious problem. The screws on the bottom may be putting out 19-65 volts AC......
- HP Pavilion dm1z Laptop: Powerful Portable Computing on a Budget I have a friend of mine who is planning a trip around the Middle East and Europe. Keeping with my long standing tradition of giving people fake names from Buffy the Vampire Slayer, we'll call him Xander. Xander reached out to me to ask what sort of technology he......
- Your Used Laptop Batteries in Future Cars Due to increased awareness about global warming and the mysterious rising of oil prices, there has been an increased demand for green hybrid electric vehicles. A green hybrid electric vehicle is a vehicle that is a combination of gas and an electric motor, which uses far less than the average......
- HP Pavilion dv6 First Impression Review If you're like many college students, you're getting ready for the new semester. New semester means organizing and buying your supplies. Perhaps you're looking for a computer to handle your classwork and is easy enough to carry. If so, you may be interested in HP's companion bundle of a powerful......
- Massive Dell Laptop Battery recall
- Power breakthrough for mobile devices?
- Tools of the trade – USB2.0 to IDE & SATA Cable
- Dell 17″ laptop advisory… (9400/e1705/m1710/m90 even Inspiron 6400)
- Dell Mini Notebooks – Very Nice