I can’t recall trying Ubuntu (maybe a livecd), but I’ve heard quite a bit about various variations on it lately. I’ve seen articles on business desktop use, certification by IBM (?) for running one of their applications and other various positive articles. I’m going to have to give it a try soon. Anyway, with all that this article caught my attention.
OSDir has a screenshot review of kubuntu 5.10.
The aim of the Xubuntu community project is to provide a nice Ubuntu desktop experience (even on older hardware) by using Xfce4 as the desktop environment and GTK+ 2 applications wherever possible. Xfce4 has been supported in Ubuntu’s universe by the MOTUXfce team since Hoary and Breezy. For Dapper we want to go one step further and make Xubuntu a sibling of Ubuntu, Kubuntu, and Edubuntu by having install and live CD images generated for it. We haven’t decided on a release date, but it should be as close as possible to Dapper’s and should use the latest stable Xfce 4.X code (hopefully 4.4 will be release by then)
My initial impression of ubuntu from their site is that it’s an interesting idea to theme different releases towards different needs. In fact, I think it’s a great idea. There are, for instance, many variations of Knoppix livecd’s (or Mandriva livecd’s) for various purposes, dvr/mythtvbox/security analyzer/games/etc. The nice thing about ubuntu is branding it all under a “big umbrella” so that they’re easier to keep track of and find. (Kubuntu, edubuntu and xbuntu are the variatons seen on site.)
I did read something earlier to the effect that they assigned a random root password and then treated the first user as having administrative capabilities. I’d like to look a bit further into that and see if they’re using “wheel” or sudo or something similar. I’m not sure if I like that approach. I’d have to look firsthand.
It’s also nice that they’ll ship you a free cd if you can’t download. (No taxes/no strings…) I hope that service doesn’t get abused, but realistically it’s great for spreading it around.
Also, there’s a review up of xubuntu at distroreviews.com (in addition to the above screenshots.) Sounds like another positive review.
Related PostsRelated Posts
- Ubuntu 6.06 LTS release Probably the biggest news so far today, at least in linux circles is the official release of the Dapper Drake.... Ubuntu 6.06 LTS (Long Term Support) (and kubuntu and edubuntu all...). I've been playing with an install based on the Release Candidate (and now upgraded to even include KDE 3.5.3...........
- OpenSuSE 10 beta 1 screenshots Osdir.com is at it again with the screenshots...., this time there's a lizard on the desktop. Yes, screenshots from openSuSe 10 beta 1. Just several days ago Novell announced that they were "opening" the SuSE Linux project and the first beta was not far behind. Once again, very eye-candyish in......
- Display problems with livecds One of the things I've run into with various linux livecds, whether it's my own made with mklivecd, or others based on Knoppix, the Suse Livecd, or I could go on.... the problem I've seen is with the display drivers. Yes, MOST of the time the autodetection seems to work......
- You Can Populate Your Contents Using Article Submit. The advantages of publishing content articles are you are able to submit your articles to multiple directories. Much more directories you submit to, the more likely you can get publicity and make a good image. Post your article to as many Web sites as you have the time. Before you......
- How to Make Your WordPress Blog a Search Engine Success Story WordPress and search engine optimization were made for one another because the search engines generally like WordPress over other platforms for blogging. Owning a WordPress blog generally makes it easier for you to rank higher than your competitors. Quite naturally, your chances will be improved if you get some things......
- Types of Coin Collecting Software Collecting different coins is a truly pleasurable and profitable type of hobby or endeavor. Most people who are novices in collecting encounter problems relating to having too many coins, and therefore they do not have an adequate amount of information about the coins that they have or about the coins......
- Dapper Drake update
- Ubuntu 6.06 LTS release
- Ubuntu Center – web control for your ubuntu machine
- Windows 98 and ME in final days of support (6 by my count)
- Kubuntu Free CD’s