I can’t recall trying Ubuntu (maybe a livecd), but I’ve heard quite a bit about various variations on it lately. I’ve seen articles on business desktop use, certification by IBM (?) for running one of their applications and other various positive articles. I’m going to have to give it a try soon. Anyway, with all that this article caught my attention.
OSDir has a screenshot review of kubuntu 5.10.
The aim of the Xubuntu community project is to provide a nice Ubuntu desktop experience (even on older hardware) by using Xfce4 as the desktop environment and GTK+ 2 applications wherever possible. Xfce4 has been supported in Ubuntu’s universe by the MOTUXfce team since Hoary and Breezy. For Dapper we want to go one step further and make Xubuntu a sibling of Ubuntu, Kubuntu, and Edubuntu by having install and live CD images generated for it. We haven’t decided on a release date, but it should be as close as possible to Dapper’s and should use the latest stable Xfce 4.X code (hopefully 4.4 will be release by then)
My initial impression of ubuntu from their site is that it’s an interesting idea to theme different releases towards different needs. In fact, I think it’s a great idea. There are, for instance, many variations of Knoppix livecd’s (or Mandriva livecd’s) for various purposes, dvr/mythtvbox/security analyzer/games/etc. The nice thing about ubuntu is branding it all under a “big umbrella” so that they’re easier to keep track of and find. (Kubuntu, edubuntu and xbuntu are the variatons seen on site.)
I did read something earlier to the effect that they assigned a random root password and then treated the first user as having administrative capabilities. I’d like to look a bit further into that and see if they’re using “wheel” or sudo or something similar. I’m not sure if I like that approach. I’d have to look firsthand.
It’s also nice that they’ll ship you a free cd if you can’t download. (No taxes/no strings…) I hope that service doesn’t get abused, but realistically it’s great for spreading it around.
Also, there’s a review up of xubuntu at distroreviews.com (in addition to the above screenshots.) Sounds like another positive review.
Related PostsRelated Posts
- Windows 98 and ME in final days of support (6 by my count) July 11th will mark the end of Microsoft's support for Windows 98 and ME. Which means that there will be no further security updates for those systems after that date. In SOME ways, those systems may find comfort in the security through obscurity approach as much malware MAY not run......
- Kubuntu Review and Ubuntu Review There's a good review up of both Kubuntu and Ubuntu over at Desktoplinux.com. The writer doesn't seem to find either a perfect fit. Ubuntu is Gnome based, Kubuntu is KDE based. The versions reviewed are 5.10 Ultimately the writer suggests Suse Linux 10.0 or Xandros as a desktop workstation, Mepislite......
- Display problems with livecds One of the things I've run into with various linux livecds, whether it's my own made with mklivecd, or others based on Knoppix, the Suse Livecd, or I could go on.... the problem I've seen is with the display drivers. Yes, MOST of the time the autodetection seems to work......
- Great Insights On How To Submit An Article To An Article Directory Correctly Anyone who has a website should know how to submit an article to an article directory. If you are not taking advantage of article marketing you are likely missing out on great sales possibilities. First of all it's important to know why you should submit articles to directories even if......
- Types of Coin Collecting Software Collecting different coins is a truly pleasurable and profitable type of hobby or endeavor. Most people who are novices in collecting encounter problems relating to having too many coins, and therefore they do not have an adequate amount of information about the coins that they have or about the coins......
- Save Time, Money and Space in Over 80 Ways If you're looking for handy gadgets, tools and various items that can save you time, money or space (or all three!) this list of more than 80 top products is just what you need. Everyone's got saving money on their minds these days- whether your at the grocery store, or......
- Dapper Drake update
- Ubuntu 6.06 LTS release
- Ubuntu Center – web control for your ubuntu machine
- Windows 98 and ME in final days of support (6 by my count)
- Kubuntu Free CD’s