There is a report that a virus shut down the computer systems at US Customs. This made for long slow manual check for travelers entering the U.S. Thursday night is when this took place at a number of airports across the country. They say all has been restored to full capacity.
They were light on details, but I’m guessing this is one of the Zotob’s given that they’re the most actively spreading right now.
Update – The security Fix is looking at this as well, Brian has called to verify if this was Zotob, but hasn’t heard back.
Am I the only one who’s nervous that the same system that is supposed to help stop terrorists from entering the country can be brought to its knees by a worm apparently created by a bunch of script-kiddies?
No, you’re not the only one. It REALLY worries me that Windows 2000 (and even XP for that matter) are used for SO many mission critical situations and that security is taken for granted in many of those cases.
I’m afraid the only thing that gave Zotob the coverage it had was it’s affect on CNN/ABCNEWS et al in the media. Unfortunately this event should be as big a story, but it will likely just be a footnote.
Related PostsRelated Posts
- Web 2.0 could lead to virus 2.0... The last couple days, there's been a virus spreading making use of yahoo mail's interface. Usually web mail is considered a fairly safe way to get email, but in this case all that was done was the user clicking on a malicious email and the virus ran. It appears that......
- More on the Zotob/Mytob identity theft ring The Security Fix has reported on the unraveling of a ring of identity theives after the arrests of the writers of the zotob and mytob worms. Apparently they have leads on about a dozen different people following the arrests last week of the suspected virus writers. The suspicion is that......
- Computer security software nets $2.6 Billion over last two years. SecurityFix is talking about the computer security industry. Further, computer users spend $9 billion a year on computers repairs from spyware and antivirus. This reminds me of a recent story of a man that threw out a perfectly good machine because it was infested with spyware. For starters, I do......
- 5 Enhanced Security Measures Your Online Store Must Have This is a guest post! If you want to write for us, check out the Guest Post section. There are two reasons you need to have the best possible security you can have for your online store: customer confidence and your own peace of mind. By creating a truly secure......
- New Travel Check For Foreigh Visitors to US There are new travel screening checks getting lined up for foreign visitors to the US. Europeans and others who travel visa-free to the United States can start registering in August for a new online security screening check that will become mandatory in January to enter the U.S., officials said this......
- Invincea™ Browser Protection enables users to knock out sophisticated Web-borne threats–in real time Invincea™ Browser Protection shields PC users against all types of Web-borne threats by seamlessly moving desktop Web browsers into a controlled virtual environment. Exceptional Protection: Invincea provides a fully isolated browser environment to maximize PC protection. It automatically detects and terminates a threat in real time, disposes of the......
- Zotob worm bites big media outlets
- Zotob.b may be affecting some XP SP2/2003 installs
- Zotob Worm
- Esbot and Zotob updates….
- Microsoft Updates Malicious software removal tool for zotob