There is a report that a virus shut down the computer systems at US Customs. This made for long slow manual check for travelers entering the U.S. Thursday night is when this took place at a number of airports across the country. They say all has been restored to full capacity.
They were light on details, but I’m guessing this is one of the Zotob’s given that they’re the most actively spreading right now.
Update – The security Fix is looking at this as well, Brian has called to verify if this was Zotob, but hasn’t heard back.
Am I the only one who’s nervous that the same system that is supposed to help stop terrorists from entering the country can be brought to its knees by a worm apparently created by a bunch of script-kiddies?
No, you’re not the only one. It REALLY worries me that Windows 2000 (and even XP for that matter) are used for SO many mission critical situations and that security is taken for granted in many of those cases.
I’m afraid the only thing that gave Zotob the coverage it had was it’s affect on CNN/ABCNEWS et al in the media. Unfortunately this event should be as big a story, but it will likely just be a footnote.
Related PostsRelated Posts
- More on the Zotob/Mytob identity theft ring The Security Fix has reported on the unraveling of a ring of identity theives after the arrests of the writers of the zotob and mytob worms. Apparently they have leads on about a dozen different people following the arrests last week of the suspected virus writers. The suspicion is that......
- Another sony lawsuit? (The DRM that stole Christmas for Sony?) Now it appears that the Illionois Attorney General is also investigating Sony in relation to the recent DRM software debacle related to their XCP Digital Rights Management software. her office has requested information from the company regarding anti-piracy software it included on music CDs that experts have shown exposes Microsoft......
- Zotob details Here are some details on the zotob worm (s) culled from several sources.... It copies itself to the Windows system folder as BOTZOR.EXE, it modifies the hosts file to frustrate attempts to access antivirus sites. The .b variant copies itself as csm.exe in the Windows System folder. Both variants create......
- New Travel Check For Foreigh Visitors to US There are new travel screening checks getting lined up for foreign visitors to the US. Europeans and others who travel visa-free to the United States can start registering in August for a new online security screening check that will become mandatory in January to enter the U.S., officials said this......
- Brisbane Marina, Brisbane, CA Phone: (650) 583-6975 Boat Launch? Yes, the marina offers this facility. Average Depth: 10 feet. Please be advised that this may change due to the season or to adverse weather conditions. It is always best to call ahead to check on current water levels before you arrive. Marine Standby......
- Success Key: S.M.A.R.T. Goal Achievement Method – Part 5 Whether or not your Goal is attainable is a direct function of variables that depend on YOU. Whether or not your Goal is realistic, on the other hand, does not necessarily depend on you, but rather, whether or not your Goal can be achieved in accordance with Universal Laws. Whether......
- Zotob worm bites big media outlets
- Zotob.b may be affecting some XP SP2/2003 installs
- Zotob Worm
- Esbot and Zotob updates….
- Microsoft Updates Malicious software removal tool for zotob