TheDefend is a rogue antivirus program that is one of the latest incarnations of the wini family of rogues. It will introduce itself onto your system through aggressive advertising claiming to be a video codec update or flash player update that may be required to see a highly sought after video. Once the user tries to download the codec they have loaded a trojan which installs the software and then they are buried with popups and complaints of security problems on their computer and multiple viral infected files. The catch here is that they claim they cannot repair the problems unless you purchase their software. Read on for how to remove TheDefend.
First you may wish to visit he control panel and use add/remove programs to uninstall thedefend. If that works then you are lucky and you should proceed to install malwarebytes antimalware or superantispyware and then scan with that and install a REPUTABLE antivirus program like avg/avira or trendmicro (their online housecall scan should be fine. Then make sure to scan until your computer is clear.
You will find a download link for malwarebytes antimalware on my virus removal toolkit page. While you are there you may wish to also download process explorer as it may be useful later for killing off the programs associated with this rogue.
When you have downloaded malwarebytes (or superantispyware) and try to install you may be unable to install it. Here are a few tricks you can try to get the software installed 1) rename the installer from mbam-setup.exe to something like iexplore.exe and then retry the install, update and scan. 2) reboot into safe mode, try the install there (possibly using trick #1) then retry the install, update and scan or 3) continue to the next manual removal step which is killing off the running processes of thedefend and then retry your install, update and scan.
The following programs are associated with thedefend and should be killed off using the task manager to manually remove thedefend from your computer. If you are unable to launch the task manager you may try 1) copying the executable for task manager (taskmgr.exe) to the desktop and then rename it to something like firefox.exe. 2) reboot into safe mode and see if the programs listed are running. 3) use process explorer instead of task manager to kill off the following files:
Some of the files above (and below) are named randomly when this rogue installs itself on your system. You should use what you find on your computer along with the locations listed below to determine which files should be killed off or deleted.
The following files and folders should be deleted to remove thedefend from your computer:
%docs%All UsersStart MenuProgramsTheDefend
%docs%All UsersStart MenuProgramsTheDefend1 TheDefend.lnk
%docs%All UsersStart MenuProgramsTheDefend2 Homepage.lnk
%docs%All UsersStart MenuProgramsTheDefend3 Uninstall.lnk
At this point your manual removal of TheDefend is almost finished and you should follow up with a scan with malwarebytes antimalware or superantispyware as well as a scan with a reputable antivirus application such as AVG/avira/norton/mcafee/etc. (Online scans such as trendmicros housecall should be fine as well.)
Related PostsRelated Posts
- How to Remove SecurityFighter | Security Fighter Removal SecurityFighter is making the rounds as yet another rogue security application. It installs itself via trojans and web popups and creates files that it then claims are viral and need to be cleaned out for your computer to be safe. Of course, they never can do that without you first......
- How to Remove RESpyWare | RESpyWare Removal Guide ReSpyWare is a rogue antivirus/ antimalware application in the same family as Reanti,keepcop and secure keeper and unfortunately a very very long line of other predecessors. They are not much different except in their names. Probably the biggest shared trait is the annoying warnings about supposed viruses on your computer......
- How to Remove KeepCop | Keep Cop Removal Guide KeepCop is yet another of those rogue antivirus applications that seem to be such a plague on computer users today. These rogue security applications usually installed without permission, or by means of trickery claiming to be a video codec or flash player update. Further they will start out on your......
- Discover Best DVD/CD Softwares: AVS Video Tools Get Recommended DVD/CD Softwares: AVS Video Tool Several people are looking for high standard of dvd burner application, but some of them aren't. an expert video editor merely requirements to buy a professional dvd/cd burner. There're a number of dvd burner programs that you are able to discover for your......
- Progressive Online Marketing Notions Associate Programs Although internet programs have been established forever, they ve recently to be a popular way for small business owners, even small business owners, to market their businesses online. That's the reason online programs are often still considered innovative Online marketing. For a business owner, particularly the one that runs an......
- Adware And Spyware Such A Pain Spywares and adwares are not only annoying but more often than not tend to damage your computer software and sometimes can even cause some damage to your hardware too. These annoying bugs have become a bane for internet browsers worldwide. They have become a normal occurrence that we sometimes tend......
- How to Remove TrustSoldier | Trust Soldier Removal Guide
- How to Remove SecurityFighter | Security Fighter Removal
- How to Remove SiteAdware | SiteAdware Removal Guide
- How to Remove TRE Antivirus | TRE Antivirus Removal Guide
- How to Remove PC Scout | PC Scout Removal Guide