TheDefend is a rogue antivirus program that is one of the latest incarnations of the wini family of rogues. It will introduce itself onto your system through aggressive advertising claiming to be a video codec update or flash player update that may be required to see a highly sought after video. Once the user tries to download the codec they have loaded a trojan which installs the software and then they are buried with popups and complaints of security problems on their computer and multiple viral infected files. The catch here is that they claim they cannot repair the problems unless you purchase their software. Read on for how to remove TheDefend.
First you may wish to visit he control panel and use add/remove programs to uninstall thedefend. If that works then you are lucky and you should proceed to install malwarebytes antimalware or superantispyware and then scan with that and install a REPUTABLE antivirus program like avg/avira or trendmicro (their online housecall scan should be fine. Then make sure to scan until your computer is clear.
You will find a download link for malwarebytes antimalware on my virus removal toolkit page. While you are there you may wish to also download process explorer as it may be useful later for killing off the programs associated with this rogue.
When you have downloaded malwarebytes (or superantispyware) and try to install you may be unable to install it. Here are a few tricks you can try to get the software installed 1) rename the installer from mbam-setup.exe to something like iexplore.exe and then retry the install, update and scan. 2) reboot into safe mode, try the install there (possibly using trick #1) then retry the install, update and scan or 3) continue to the next manual removal step which is killing off the running processes of thedefend and then retry your install, update and scan.
The following programs are associated with thedefend and should be killed off using the task manager to manually remove thedefend from your computer. If you are unable to launch the task manager you may try 1) copying the executable for task manager (taskmgr.exe) to the desktop and then rename it to something like firefox.exe. 2) reboot into safe mode and see if the programs listed are running. 3) use process explorer instead of task manager to kill off the following files:
Some of the files above (and below) are named randomly when this rogue installs itself on your system. You should use what you find on your computer along with the locations listed below to determine which files should be killed off or deleted.
The following files and folders should be deleted to remove thedefend from your computer:
%docs%All UsersStart MenuProgramsTheDefend
%docs%All UsersStart MenuProgramsTheDefend1 TheDefend.lnk
%docs%All UsersStart MenuProgramsTheDefend2 Homepage.lnk
%docs%All UsersStart MenuProgramsTheDefend3 Uninstall.lnk
At this point your manual removal of TheDefend is almost finished and you should follow up with a scan with malwarebytes antimalware or superantispyware as well as a scan with a reputable antivirus application such as AVG/avira/norton/mcafee/etc. (Online scans such as trendmicros housecall should be fine as well.)
Related PostsRelated Posts
- How to Remove DefendAPC | DefendAPC Removal Guide DefendAPC is the latest variation on the Wini family of rogue antivirus. It is typically promoted via the use of trojans, malware and aggressive advertising. Once installed on the system it will run supposed scans of the system claiming that you have viruses on your system and that you have......
- How to Remove AntiAid | AntiAid Removal Guide AntiAid is a rogue antivirus/security program that is from the Wini family of Rogues. This is a bit of a departure from much of the long recent history of these rogues due to a new user interface. This rogue (and it's family) is usually advertised (pushed would be a better......
- How to Remove APCProtect | APCProtect Removal Guide APCProtect is the latest rogue antivirus product in the wini family of rogue security sotware. It is generally pushed through sites that claim in order to view a video you need to install a video codec update or flash player update. This "update" is actually the loader for apcprotect. Once......
- Free Photo and Image Editing Software and Online Tools I think baby boomers are developing a greater interest in improving, preserving, and sharing photographs. I know that I am. These include older family photos that may be in print form as well as more contemporary digital photos. The photos we inherit from older family members often need enhancing. So......
- Most Popular and Useful Security Apps for a Smart Phone The following is a post from staff writer Crystal at Budgeting in the Fun Stuff, where she writes about finding the balance between paying your bills, saving for your future, and budgeting in the fun stuff along the way. Buying a smart phone is a major investment because you spend......
- Adware And Spyware Such A Pain Spywares and adwares are not only annoying but more often than not tend to damage your computer software and sometimes can even cause some damage to your hardware too. These annoying bugs have become a bane for internet browsers worldwide. They have become a normal occurrence that we sometimes tend......
- How to Remove TrustSoldier | Trust Soldier Removal Guide
- How to Remove SecurityFighter | Security Fighter Removal
- How to Remove SiteAdware | SiteAdware Removal Guide
- How to Remove TRE Antivirus | TRE Antivirus Removal Guide
- How to Remove PC Scout | PC Scout Removal Guide