Total Security Antivirus is another rogue security application that poses as legitimate antivirus software to dupe people into installing and then paying for it. It is related to Antivirus 360 and is perhaps the followup software from the same group. This particular pest is possibly installing itself onto systems by way of a trojan or via browser exploits. Total Security also tries to imitate the Windows Security Center. (Not exactly what you would expect from a reputable antivirus package.) Another variant of Total Security Antivirus is Total Security 2009. So, how do you proceed with Total security removal?
This pest (total security antivirus) will typically run when the system boots and discover all sorts of infections that it claims (non are legit.) It uses these infections as proof that you need to purchase the program to fix the problems.
For manual removal you will likely need to use the task manager ( ctrl-alt-del ) to kill off any running processes that are related to total security. To kill of the following processes is essential to total security removal
Probably uninstall.exe and tsc.exe
If you are unable to delete them after killing the running processes, you may be able to delete the following files by booting into safe mode:
%User%Application DataMicrosoftInternet ExplorerQuick LaunchTSC.lnk
%Progfiles%Common FilesSystemUninstallUninstall TSC.lnk
The above files are related to Total Security Antivirus.
After cleaning out these I suggest you download malwarebytes antimwalware. You can find a link to download it by visiting my virus and malware removal toolkit.
Removing pests like this is not as straightforward as typical antivirus removal.
Because this program is intent on staying on your system, sites like mine and other sites giving instructions and help on removal are redirected to a site that claims that these sites may harm your computer. Also, the running process will prevent removal tools such as malwarebytes antimwalware from running. For this reason it’s important to kill of the running processes first.
If you are unable to access the task manager, you may be able to download and run process explorer and terminate tsc.exe that way. For a link to the process explorer download please visit the virus removal toolkit link above.
Total Security 2009 seems to add the following file:
I have also seen reference to Total security renaming one of it’s files to a string of numbers such as 65489463.exe (those may vary from system to system.) So, you will need to kill off any suspicious processes like this.
If you are unable to access the task manager or process explorer you may be able to rename taskmgr and then run it under it’s new name. (You would be safer copying it and creating a newly named file.) This should bypass the countermeasures total security antivirus has to prevent the removal of total security antivirus.
Related PostsRelated Posts
- Remove Total Security 2009 | TotalSecurity 2009 Removal Total Security 2009 is also known as TotalSecurity 2009 or TotalSecurity2009. It is a newer version of the Total Security Antivirus which we highlighted just a week or so ago. It is a more troublesome variant of this rogue security software. In addition to the false warnings about problems on......
- How to Remove TRE Antivirus | TRE Antivirus Removal Guide TRE Antivirus is a new entry in the Wini Family of rogue antivirus software. This family includes SoftCop (SoftCop Removal), Softsoldier (How to remove SoftSoldier), ( TrustFighter TrustFighter Removal Guide, TrustSoldier removal guide and the following others... SafeFighter (Safefighter Removal), TrustCop (TrustCop Removal Guide), SecureWarrior (SecureWarrior Removal), SecurityFighter (SecurityFighter Removal),......
- How to Remove ShieldSafeness | ShieldSafeness Removal Guide The Wini family of rogue antivirus software has given us yet another version in the last couple days... ShieldSafeness. This is quick on the heels of SoftStronghold (softstronghold removal guide) and succeeds the following variants in this prolific family.... Softveteran (see the softveteran removal guide) but.... SoftCop (see the SoftCop......
- The Best Method of Spyware Removal Spyware removal is a tedious but necessary chore. At best, spyware slows down your computer and brings up those annoying popup windows. At worst, spyware can monitor your activities on your computer without your knowing, steal vital information from your computer such as passwords and bank account numbers, and even......
- World Wide Web Security Essentials Is Not A Real Spyware Remover. It Resembles The Functions And Looks World wide web Security Essentials is not a real spyware remover. It resembles the functions and looks of genuine spyware removal software but has no capacity to eliminate any virus, trojan or malware. Web Security Essentials is the newest addition to the growing list of rogue Antivirus programs. Internet Security......
- Stringing a Violin Violin strings will age as well as wear out regardless if they are made of metal or gut. The doctor's orders? - Preventative medicine. Transplant them before they can give out on you mid performance. Here is a guide to how you can string or restring a violin instrument. Steps:......
- Remove Total Security 2009 | TotalSecurity 2009 Removal
- How to Remove Total PC Defender | Total PC Defender Removal Guide
- How to Remove Cyber Protection Center | Removal Guide
- How to Remove TRE Antivirus | TRE Antivirus Removal Guide
- How to Remove APCProtect | APCProtect Removal Guide