Time Travel has been one of those science fiction themes that has been the MOST captivating. Not just for me, but for millions of people. I think the “what if”s are probably the most intriguing. What if I could get a message to someone… what if I could find out what happened …. Would those things even be possible, ethical? Up until now, it’s been more of an intellectual exercise, but I’ve been doing some reading on the subject and there is a very real possibility that time travel would be physically possible. Of course, physics classes for years have talked about how travel into the future should be possible. Simply travel away from the earth at near light speed and then back at near light speed. You will have only aged slightly while much time will have passed on earth. But, realistically traveling into the future isn’t as enticing as traveling into the past. We’re ALL traveling into the future one day at a time on the slow path. Here’s how one could travel into the past….
I guess I started out reading about the Large Hadron Collider breakdown and speculation that particles from the future had broken it. Much of that speculation is in jest because really the LHC wasn’t doing the things it was designed to do when this happened. But… there was reference to a Professor at the University of Connecticut who has theorized that time travel into the past is possible and is looking to raise approximately 11 million dollars to test his Space-Time Twisting by Light Project.
I read at his site and this article at ThePhoenix.com and it seems as though he has a sound idea. There are limitations to this, the main one being that you wouldn’t be able to travel into the past before this machine were activated.
Here’s the general idea. Concentrated light is forced into a loop. This loop bends space-time and allows particles from the future to enter the loop of light and exit at any point going back to when the loop began.
That’s the thumbnail sketch.
It’s a fairly mindblowing concept though. It makes me start wondering if there could be places in the Universe where there might be naturally occurring phenomenon like this (even horizon of a black hole perhaps with light forced to orbit the black hole?) Could it be that there is a “time lens” as I’ve been thinking of it that’s a naturally occurring phenomenon?
If there were a naturally occurring phenomenon like this, then you would be able to travel back in time until the beginning of THAT loop of light. Of course, if such a thing were to exist in nature the real challenge would be GETTING there and back (especially if it’s at the rim of a black hole…. if light can’t escape how do you expect to?)
Fun stuff to think about…. I believe I read that it’s been theorized that a light loop (I REALLY want to call this a “time lens”) could be used as an early warning system to monitor for particles from the future that might indicate problems in our future…. Almost wants me to dig out my own time travel short stories and start editing them to be a bit more scientifically plausible.
Related PostsRelated Posts
- Google Hack honeypot I've found The Google Hack honeypot thanks to an entry at sans.org in the handlers diary. I've looked at it and it's an interesting idea. The honeypot installs on your website and is invisibly linked to from another page. This way it gets spidered as if it was a real......
- Google Maps hybrid map seems more complete A short while back, I compared MSN Virtual Earth and Google Maps, one of the things I noted was that the hybrid feature of MSN's map was somewhat more complete, however I found a few errors. (The hybrid feature has a satellite image with road names and outlines superimposed over......
- Microsoft files for patent on creating smiley face Microsoft frowned at for smiley patent You've got to be kidding. Apparently Microsoft has applied for a paten that translates a sequence of characters into a smiley face :-) I've typed that in with colon, dash, right parenthesis. The patent number is 20050156873 and was filed January 2004. You realize......
- How to Make Money Online by Blogging Generating cash from home with the aid of world wide web may possibly sound like a new aspiration career back. Doing work at the simple your home and also making some extra money is often rather advantageous in our routine world. It's particular that you can make money on the......
- 2 Ways to Learn Acoustic Guitar When people are first learning to play the guitar, the acoustic type is generally recommended over the electric type. The main reason for this is that the strings of an acoustic guitar are tougher, so they build calluses better, and help build finger strength. As for the methods by which......
- Handling Your Baggage - I Don't Mean The Kind That You Take While Traveling! My friend Susan, a lovely, wise and successful professional single, recently announced that her tumultuous six month relationship was over. "He's got an excessive amount of baggage and I don't know how to handle it", she explained over a small decaf latte at our weekly hangout session. So just how......
- Great space picture of the Crab nebula
- 10 Million Candlepower Spotlight
- Google Video Player?
- Do it yourself Macro Photo studio
- MSN Virtual Earth erases Apple?