Time Travel has been one of those science fiction themes that has been the MOST captivating. Not just for me, but for millions of people. I think the “what if”s are probably the most intriguing. What if I could get a message to someone… what if I could find out what happened …. Would those things even be possible, ethical? Up until now, it’s been more of an intellectual exercise, but I’ve been doing some reading on the subject and there is a very real possibility that time travel would be physically possible. Of course, physics classes for years have talked about how travel into the future should be possible. Simply travel away from the earth at near light speed and then back at near light speed. You will have only aged slightly while much time will have passed on earth. But, realistically traveling into the future isn’t as enticing as traveling into the past. We’re ALL traveling into the future one day at a time on the slow path. Here’s how one could travel into the past….
I guess I started out reading about the Large Hadron Collider breakdown and speculation that particles from the future had broken it. Much of that speculation is in jest because really the LHC wasn’t doing the things it was designed to do when this happened. But… there was reference to a Professor at the University of Connecticut who has theorized that time travel into the past is possible and is looking to raise approximately 11 million dollars to test his Space-Time Twisting by Light Project.
I read at his site and this article at ThePhoenix.com and it seems as though he has a sound idea. There are limitations to this, the main one being that you wouldn’t be able to travel into the past before this machine were activated.
Here’s the general idea. Concentrated light is forced into a loop. This loop bends space-time and allows particles from the future to enter the loop of light and exit at any point going back to when the loop began.
That’s the thumbnail sketch.
It’s a fairly mindblowing concept though. It makes me start wondering if there could be places in the Universe where there might be naturally occurring phenomenon like this (even horizon of a black hole perhaps with light forced to orbit the black hole?) Could it be that there is a “time lens” as I’ve been thinking of it that’s a naturally occurring phenomenon?
If there were a naturally occurring phenomenon like this, then you would be able to travel back in time until the beginning of THAT loop of light. Of course, if such a thing were to exist in nature the real challenge would be GETTING there and back (especially if it’s at the rim of a black hole…. if light can’t escape how do you expect to?)
Fun stuff to think about…. I believe I read that it’s been theorized that a light loop (I REALLY want to call this a “time lens”) could be used as an early warning system to monitor for particles from the future that might indicate problems in our future…. Almost wants me to dig out my own time travel short stories and start editing them to be a bit more scientifically plausible.
Related PostsRelated Posts
- Why I chose the Kindle over the iPad, Nook, Sony ereader or any Tablet In the last several months (since the Kindle 3 came out) I've been seriously looking at ereaders. Of course, the iPad came out early this year and was all the buzz. It looks great of course and Apple really should be proud of making the tablet relevant. How many tablets......
- The sunbeltblog id theft saga continues... It looks as though CoolWebSearch has issued a release about the massive identity theft ring that their product name has featured so prominently in. They are 1) denying that it is related to their tool and asking for evidence that it does so they may pursue the issue (fire employees/contact......
- Microsoft files for patent on creating smiley face Microsoft frowned at for smiley patent You've got to be kidding. Apparently Microsoft has applied for a paten that translates a sequence of characters into a smiley face :-) I've typed that in with colon, dash, right parenthesis. The patent number is 20050156873 and was filed January 2004. You realize......
- Why Offering Knowledge Programs Are Generally An Excellent Corporation Guru Masterclass Offering your individual information merchandise on-line can establish to get the very best small business model at any time. Some web marketers rarely offer their own personal information solutions considering that they think that you'll find it also complex. Offering data services, obviously, does possess a particular grasping......
- Future Of E-commerce In fact, with the possibilities of Internet, the future development of e-commerce sales as well as online business seems to be extremely promising. However, if you are the owner of own online marketing company, then the most burning question concerning this problem whether it is promising for you as well.......
- Travel Computer Project: I Need Your Advice I'm finding myself doing quite a bit more traveling that I have in the past. Since I spend a good deal of my time on the Internet, as a software engineer as well as writing this blog, I developed a bit of a dependency on it. It's probably not a......
- Great space picture of the Crab nebula
- 10 Million Candlepower Spotlight
- Google Video Player?
- Do it yourself Macro Photo studio
- MSN Virtual Earth erases Apple?