Incidents.org is reporting on the defacement of a security related web site (winsnort.com). They say they usually decline to comment on those because the attention is what the defacers thrive on. However, it does pay to keep your browser updated and antivirus current. What’s more…. Several days ago there was the news that the President of Iran now has a blog (which is ironic in many ways given the restrictions they place on internet use….) But… anyway, I figured he is getting his propaganda tool our and ready in advance of the UN showdown over the nuclear program. Well, it turns out that some have noticed an interesting gift from the visit to Mr. Ahmadinejad’s site….
According to the post, if visiting the site from Israel and attempting to click on a link she received a Norton Antivirus warning about an IE exploit attempt. From the screenshots the ip was 184.108.40.206 and the exploit was tagged as “HTTP MS IE File DragDrop Embed Code” attack. It did check out to be an Iranian IP address according to her research and the link she describes as being from the www.ahmadinejad.ir to www.khamenei.ir
I can’t seem to confirm any exploit here in the US, however I just may not be lucky. Can anyone outside of Israel corroborate this? Or is this just targetted at Israeli IP’s? Or, is there another explanation? Be cautious out there.
Edit— BTW, the IP address above seems to be the www.khamenei.ir site which is “Grand Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei official website – I.R.R.C.I”. This is one of the links from the site of Ahmadinejad.
Patches for this vulnerability have been out for some time…. MS045-038 is supposed to address the problem.
Some are suggesting that the activity seen was a false positive. Some information on that here. Also there is news that Israeli hackers shut down the site for a time (DoS I suppose).
Related PostsRelated Posts
- OTHER Sony DRM software has security flaws too. You almost want to bury your head in the sand at this point if you're Sony.... Freedom-to-tinker has some details. The last couple weeks the XCP copy protection that Sony uses has been the center of a Firestorm for rootkit capabilities and massive security problems. Well, it seems the OTHER......
- How to Remove TRE Antivirus | TRE Antivirus Removal Guide TRE Antivirus is a new entry in the Wini Family of rogue antivirus software. This family includes SoftCop (SoftCop Removal), Softsoldier (How to remove SoftSoldier), ( TrustFighter TrustFighter Removal Guide, TrustSoldier removal guide and the following others... SafeFighter (Safefighter Removal), TrustCop (TrustCop Removal Guide), SecureWarrior (SecureWarrior Removal), SecurityFighter (SecurityFighter Removal),......
- Virus Warning - Email Subjects - IRS Notice - Important Information from the IRS I've seen a couple of these emails today and wanted to give a post just to warn people that these are bogus and you should NOT follow the link suggested in the email. I HOPE no one reading this falls for it, but the "tax software update" that they are......
- Getting Backlinks To Your Site No doubt one of the most important things you can do for yourself if you are buildingÂ network marketing blogs is getting links back to your site. To be honest with you Network Marketing is a very hard keyword phrase to get ranked for.Â If you are just getting started......
- Reciprocal Link Building - Double The Web Traffic To Your Site Reciprocal Link Building - Double The Web Traffic To Your Site Reciprocal reciprocal link building is one of the best ways to attract a substantial amount of web traffic to your site. In this process, you have to exchange link with another high traffic website. You start the process by......
- Brief Analysis About Link Building Services The fact that it's not straightforward to acquire related links directed to your web, but that does not indicate you cannot do it. Overall, the link building is dominant due to it is one of plenty smart ways to expand your business website position in essential search engines such as......
- WMF exploit testing on Windows 98
- Windows 98 and WMF exploit posts
- Virus Warning – Email Subjects – IRS Notice – Important Information from the IRS
- Hexblog (WMF unofficial patch) back up
- More testing on the second WMF exploit