The Register had an interesting article on the analysis of what may get classified as the worlds oldest computer (2000 years old – Greek.) Apparently it’s been known for a while (discovered in an old shipwreck around 1900). It’s been called the “Antikythera Mechanism” and has more than 30 dials and wheels. Anyway, it’s currently been undergoing detailed imaging analysis which has uncovered some new clues which may reinforce a theory that it was designed to track/predict planetary locations (Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn were known to the ancient Greeks.)
From the article it sounds as though they think it verifies the suspicion as to why it was built, but there’s still quite a bit to be done to understand the inscription….
If the Antikythera Mechanism is indeed what the investigators believe it is, then there are further suggestions that it may be based on a heliocentric view of the solar system – highly unusual at a time when most Greeks accepted Aristotle’s view that the universe revolved around the Earth.
It also would speak to the technological capabilities of the ancient greeks.
So – anyone ready for the Antikythera Mechanism challange – to boot linux on it? I think one could safely offer $1,000,000,000,000,000 to the first person to successfully boot linux on it and get a shell prompt.
(Of course, it’s not my problem that there’s no video plug….)
(Hey – they did it with the XBox and the ipaq and even some network hardware….)
Related PostsRelated Posts
- How to Remove Live PC Care | Live PC Care Removal Guide Live PC Care is a rogue antivirus application that is advertised and promoted through misleading ads and aggressive tactics. In many cases the ad may be an animation of a scan of a computer that claims to find viruses and you must click a link to fix the problem. This......
- Google rumors galore.... There are all sorts of rumors circulating about Google's product announcements tomorrow at CES. There are still stories floating around about a Google PC running linux and there are stories about pay-download videos and a software bundle. No official word on these from Google. (They had denials about PC talks......
- Wireless ethernet security Flexbeta has an article giving a good primer on the different approaches to wireless security that are currently available and what seems to be on track for the next generation of wireless networking. One thing that is worth noting, if it's transmitted through the air it can be intercepted. Breaking......
- French Antiques Antiquess -> Antiquities -> Neolithic, Paleolithic Although the first thing that springs to mind in many people when the term French antiques is mentioned is Louis XVI furniture, there are numerous antiquities from this region that are incredibly valuable. France was the site of some of the first Paleolithic peoples......
- Poplar Creek Golf Course Poplar Creek Golf Course is located in: San Mateo, CA Phone: 650-522-7510 Website: http://www.poplarcreekgolf.com/ Course History: This is an incredibly fun course to play and is challenging enough for pros while still being enjoyable for novices. The greens average around 5,000 sq feet, so get your putting practice in now.......
- U.K. Debt Management Plans The best advice when it comes to debt management is to avoid getting debt into the first place, but most people donât learn the dangers of having a large amount of consumer debt until theyâre in debt up to their eye balls. A recent survey showed that the average adult......
- Google Earth for linux?
- Google Earth for Linux
- Kdirstat to track space hogs
- Linux won’t boot – corrupt MBR (Master Boot Record) repair tip
- Linux code drastically improved