I spent a bit of time lately drooling/browsing through the many different android based tablets/pads there are. Why not the ipad? I don’t know – I just don’t particularly like the idea of being tied to Apple…. having to acitvate with itunes – being restricted to the apple app store. I like that android is more open (in many different ways.) So… I saw a lot of cheap entries from China. None of which really impressed me much. It looks as though the real ipad killers are on their way later in the year 2010. One is the viliv x10 tablet with a 1366×768 screen, 3d graphics. SD card, usb, capacitive touch screen. (Some of the cheaper competitors are resistive touch screen which is not seen as sensitive. The cheaper alternatives also seem a bit underpowered processor wise. (Or may lack gps or the accelerometer – both of which really seem (to me) essential parts of a tablet system for all of the neat “killer app” possibilities.
Another option coming up is the Notion Ink device – the Adam Tablet. It’s rumored to be coming in the third quarter of 2010. It is supposed to include the nvidia tegra 2 processor (which should support 1080p video output.)
The Adam will have the Pixel Qi Transflective liquid crystal display – which gives some really interesting possibilities:
* A full color LCD transmissive mode and a low-power, sunlight-readable, reflective e-paper mode
* A transflective mode, that will make the LCD display visible in sunlight and automatic brightness control
(Given that I would like to work outside more….. that sounds fantastic.)
Finally there is the Malata SMB a1011 android tablet. It also features the Nvidia Tegra 2 processor and will probably be produced under different names from various companies. So… right now there are a bunch of cheaper/underpowered tablets running android currently available as an ipad alternative but by the end of the year there should be some VERY good, capable competitors on the table. Bottom line – I think this Christmas is going to be the tablet pc/pad year when it comes to gift giving. While the Apple ipad is up in the $499 range, I wouldn’t be surprised to see some of these excellent alternatives down as low as $200 – $250.
Related PostsRelated Posts
- High powered laser from a dvd burner I really don't know if I want to do this or not... but I found several sites talking about how to salvage the laser from a dvd burner and use it as a VERY high powered handheld laser. (i.e. "light that candle" kind of power....) Don't get me wrong, I......
- Frustrations with Verizon Landline As you may know we had a good size snow storm here in the mountains of western North Carolina. It's not unusual, but we will many times go a few years between these big storms. This one brought a tree down on the phone line just before it branches to......
- Book Publishing in small quantities or on demand lulu.com This may be the first in a series of several profiles looking at different ways to get published online. The internet has been a disruptive technology for so many industries. Book publishing is one of those. Used to you would submit a manuscript to publishers shopping around for someone to......
- Herotab Tablet PC Review Yet another low cost Tablet PC is here, Herotab. With so many brands coming into the Tablet PC market, it is really tough to make a buying decision. However, you could either go directly by the brand names like iPad, Samsung, Blackberry, Toshiba etc. On the other side, if you......
- Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 VS Motorola Xoom - Which one is better? Though the Motorola Xoom is the first Honeycomb tablet flagship device, the Samsung Galaxy 8.9 looks like a good bet to give it a run for its money. The Galaxy is designed as a smaller alternative to the bulkier iPad 2 and Xoom slates. At 8.9 inches it’s larger than......
- Want a Loan? Do Your Homework First! Understanding the differences between loan types is difficult enough, so researching them for comparison purposes is not always at the top of everyone's list. Before you walk into your current bank to fill out a loan application, consider all of your options. When the loan you are seeking is a......
- Why I chose the Kindle over the iPad, Nook, Sony ereader or any Tablet
- $100 notebooks for schoolkids around the world likely will run linux
- Nvidia video cards
- Microsoft moving display drivers outside the kernel