Windows System Defender is a new rogue antivirus software along the lines of Windows PC Defender (See the Windows PC Defender Removal guide) (I believe it’s the same family of malware.) It claims to be a powerful and effective antivirus and antispyware suite, but will overwhelm you with warnings and alerts and popups of security problems with your computer and more or less hold you hostage with the fear that your data is at risk unless you purchase their software. All of their scans are falsified and most likely the biggest thing wrong with your computer is having this rogue software installed. Read on for how to remove windows system defender.
The following website should be blocked to protect against future activity from Windows System Defender:
Next you may try to uninstall Windows System Defender using the control panel (add/remove programs applet). You never know it may work, but for many of these rogues it doesn’t. So, visit the virus removal toolkit page and download malwarebytes antimalware (and possibly process explorer – see below for why you may need it.) Next try to install, update and run a full scan with malwarebytes antimalware. If you are unable to do so, try the following things. 1 ) reboot into safe mode and rerun the install. 2) rename the installer file for malwarebytes from mbam-setup.exe to something else (henry.exe for instance). 3) continue with the next steps of manual removal and retry the install after you have killed off the running processes associated with Windows System Defender.
The following process should be killed off using the task manager to continue with a manual removal of Windows System Defender. If you are unable to run task manager you may try either copying and pasting the executable to a new file name. (Taskmgr.exe renamed to myfile.exe or something.) If that doesn’t work for you try out process explorer to kill off the running processes. You can find a link to process explorer on the virus removal toolkit page.
To continue with a manual removal of Windows System Defender then continue to delete the following files and folders:
%docs%All UsersApplication Data61a60WSDDSys
%docs%All UsersApplication Data61a60
%docs%All UsersApplication Data61a60WS83b.exe
%docs%All UsersApplication Data61a608727.mof
%docs%All UsersApplication Data61a60mozcrt19.dll
%docs%All UsersApplication Data61a60sqlite3.dll
%docs%All UsersApplication Data61a60WSD.ico
%docs%All UsersApplication Data61a60WSDDSysvd952342.bd
%docs%All UsersApplication DataWSDDSys
%docs%All UsersApplication DataWSDDSyswsd.cfg
%userprof%Application DataWindows System Defender
%userprof%Application DataMicrosoftInternet ExplorerQuick LaunchWindows System Defender.lnk
%userprof%Application DataWindows System Defendercookies.sqlite
%userprof%DesktopWindows System Defender.lnk
%userprof%Start MenuWindows System Defender.lnk
%userprof%Start MenuProgramsWindows System Defender.lnk
There may be a randomized component to some of the file names above so use this as a starting point for your search to remove Windows System Defender from your computer. Even after a successful manual removal of Windows System Defender I would continue to install, update and run a scan with malwarebytes antimalware as well as a followup scan with a trusted antivirus program such as avira, or avg.
Related PostsRelated Posts
- How to Remove System Defender | System Defender Removal Guide System Defender is a rogue antivirus application that pushes itself to users through the use of scary popups and attack sites. The software, once it is installed will create numerous files and then claim that they are infected with viruses and they need to be cleaned. Of course, they cannot......
- Remove Total Security 2009 | TotalSecurity 2009 Removal Total Security 2009 is also known as TotalSecurity 2009 or TotalSecurity2009. It is a newer version of the Total Security Antivirus which we highlighted just a week or so ago. It is a more troublesome variant of this rogue security software. In addition to the false warnings about problems on......
- How to Remove Windows PC Defender | Windows PC Defender Removal Windows PC Defender is a rogue antivirus application that resembles the legitimate antispyware known as Windows Defender from Microsoft. Their intent apparently is to mimic the look an theming of that application to trick potential customers into trusting and downloading (and paying for) their product. It is a clone of......
- Stained Glass Windows Antiques -> Architectural and Garden -> Stained Glass Windows-> Pre-1900 Stained glass windows are more than just functional windows, they are works of art that can express exalted meanings or simply beautify a room. When you are shopping for antique stained glass, it’s important to understand the amount of time......
- Firewall Internet Security Firewall seems to be very popular these days. Firewall is the program that helps you to protect your digital world. There are many companies, which produce the firewall because of its tremendous demand. If you are using windows xp, there is default firewall software that you can use to furnish......
- What Kind Of Software Runs Successfully On A VPS Host? Nowadays, the VPS or the virtual server provider is being provided by various webhosting companies. This kind of hosting is being offered as a more preferred choice than the typical shared server innovations. Moreover, this is more economical than the dedicated server. The UK VPS host includes special mail sending......
- How to Remove System Defender | System Defender Removal Guide
- How to Remove Windows PC Defender | Windows PC Defender Removal
- How to Remove Windows Enterprise Defender (Removal Guide)
- How to Remove Control Center | Control Center Removal Guide
- How to Remove Total PC Defender | Total PC Defender Removal Guide