PCSecure is a recent rogue antivirus from the notorious and prolific wini family of rogue security software. It is typically promoted via trojan downloaders. Usually these will be on a website with a video that may be highly sought after. In order to see the video though you are told that you need to download a codec update or flash player update. This is where you get the infection that starts the nightmare of popups complaining of viruses on your system and multiple security problems on your pc. The real kicker is that they claim that the problems cannot be fixed unless you purchase their software. This is a scam and should be avoided. Read on for how to remove PCSecure.
This and other recent versions of the wini rogues may also bundle a rootkit that has been called the TDL3 rootkit. You may need further cleanup on this machine than the relatively simple rogue security software removal. Among the warnings you may see on your system will be the following:
Ihr Computer ist mit Spionprogramm infektioniert. Das kann Ihren Dateien und die im Internet zugänglich machen. Klicken bitte hier, um Ihre Kopie von PcsSecure zu registrieren und Ihr PC von Spyprogramm frei zu machen.
Your computer is infected with spyware. It could damage your critical files or expose your private data on the Internet. Click here to register your copy of PcsSecure and remove spyware threats from your PC.
Votre ordinateur est infecté de spyware. Il pourrait endommager vos fichiers critiques ou exposer vos données prives sur ‘Internet. Cliquez ici pour enregistrer votre copie de PcsSecure et enléver des menaces spyware de votre OP.
Il suo computer è infetto di spyware. Puo dannegiare i suoi files criticali rivelare i suoi dati personali nell’Internet. Clicca qui per registrare la sua coppia di PcsSecure e rimouvere le minacce di spyware dal suo computer.
The first and easiest way to attempt removal of pcsecure or other rogues may or may not work. This is going to the control panel and the add/remove programs area and then uninstall pcsecure. As I said, this may work, but it may not. Even if it does, you should follow this with a scan of your computer using a malware removal tool that is reputable such as superantispyware or malwarebytes antimalware. You also should scan the system with a reputable antivirus such as AVG/Avira/Trendmicros online housecall, etc.
If you were unable to remove this pest by using the control panel, I think the next easiest way should be the portable scanner from superantispyware. You can find a link to it on my virus removal toolkit page. Basically, it is rebuilt each day so you shouldn’t have to worry about updating it before scanning and it is given a random name each time it is downloaded so the rogues shouldn’t be able to kill it off thinking it is security software. That much said, if you have a hard time running your download of the portable scanner you may try the following: 1) rename the download to something like explorer.exe or iexplore.exe or firefox.exe – these are usually process names that the rogues will leave alone (especially explorer.exe). 2) reboot into safe mode and attempt torun the scanner there. Make sure to note the filename when you download since it is almost always a different filename.
If you would like to try to attempt a manual removal of pcsecure then you will need to know the filenames listed below.
%docs%All UsersStart MenuProgramsPcsSecure
%docs%All UsersStart MenuProgramsPcsSecure1 PcsSecure.lnk
%docs%All UsersStart MenuProgramsPcsSecure2 Homepage.lnk
%docs%All UsersStart MenuProgramsPcsSecure3 Uninstall.lnk
After the above files have been removed you should still scan your system with a reputable malware removal tool and reputable antivirus to make sure that your system is clean. I will typically run scans until the scans start coming up with nothing found to make certain that everything related to the rogues have been eliminated.
Related PostsRelated Posts
- How to Remove SecureKeeper | Secure Keeper Removal SecureKeeper is a rogue antivirus application in the Wini family (with their recent new look user interface.) The Wini family is a very long running line of rogue security applications that have been producing two to three different rogues each week. Of course, the primary changes are the names, but......
- How to Remove AntiKeep | AntiKeep Removal Guide AntiKeep is a rogue antivirus application from the same family as ReAnti and AntiAdd which we've written about in the last few days. Like many of these rogue application they will try to trick you into consenting to install it, or install without your permission. They will claim that there......
- How to Remove Windows Smart Security (Removal Guide) Windows Smart Security is a rogue spyware application that may fool people into installing and purchasing due to the use of the words Windows and Security in the title. It may fool people into thinking that it is related to Microsoft Windows and perhaps even a part of the operating......
- How to Remove Antivirus 2009, Spyware Guard 2008 and Other Malware My wife, kids, and I spent this past Christmas at my parents' house. It wasn't long after we arrived before I gravitated to their computer to check my email, read the news, check the stock market, etc. Much to my dismay, I found a barrage of malware, spyware, and......
- Most Popular and Useful Security Apps for a Smart Phone The following is a post from staff writer Crystal at Budgeting in the Fun Stuff, where she writes about finding the balance between paying your bills, saving for your future, and budgeting in the fun stuff along the way. Buying a smart phone is a major investment because you spend......
- World Wide Web Security Essentials Is Not A Real Spyware Remover. It Resembles The Functions And Looks World wide web Security Essentials is not a real spyware remover. It resembles the functions and looks of genuine spyware removal software but has no capacity to eliminate any virus, trojan or malware. Web Security Essentials is the newest addition to the growing list of rogue Antivirus programs. Internet Security......
- How to Remove APCSecure | APCSecure Removal Guide
- How to Remove APCDefender | How to Remove SysProtector | How to Remove InSysSecure | How to Remove SysDefenders
- How to Remove Desktop Security 2010 | Desktop Security 2010 Removal Guide
- How to Remove TRE Antivirus | TRE Antivirus Removal Guide
- How to Remove DefendAPC | DefendAPC Removal Guide