TRE Antivirus is a new entry in the Wini Family of rogue antivirus software. This family includes SoftCop (SoftCop Removal), Softsoldier (How to remove SoftSoldier), ( TrustFighter TrustFighter Removal Guide, TrustSoldier removal guide and the following others… SafeFighter (Safefighter Removal), TrustCop (TrustCop Removal Guide), SecureWarrior (SecureWarrior Removal), SecurityFighter (SecurityFighter Removal), SecuritySoldier (SecuritySoldier Removal) and it also has gone under other names. This version however has a different user interface than the long list above. It still installs via sites that claim to be scanning your system for viruses (really just an animation), OR posing as a media codec update. All of it’s claims as to problems on your computer are still bogus and falsified and they still just want your money and not much else. Read on for how to remove TRE Antivirus (removal guide).
As with all of these I suggest downloading and installing malwarebytes antimalware. (You can find a link on my virus removal toolkit page.) After it’s installed, update and run a full scan removing any traces of the rogue. However, many rogues (this included) can make it difficult to install malwarebytes on a system. There are several workarounds that can be tried. 1) boot into safe mode, then try installing, updating and running a scan. 2) rename the malwarebytes installer (mbam.exe or mbam-setup.exe) to something else…. (myprogram.exe) and reattempt the install/update/scan. 3) Follow the next steps of manual removal and then follow up with the install and scan with malwarebytes.
The following running processes should be killed off using the task manager. If task manager is unavailable you may use process explorer (download link on the virus removal toolkit page.) or you may try copying and pasting taskmgr.exe (the executable for task manager) renaming it to something else. (harmless.exe) then run the renamed executable and use that to kill off the following processes:
After this you may be able to successfully get malwarebytes installed, updated an scanning since the running processes should be what are “policing” which software runs.
The following files and folders should be deleted for the manual removal of TRE antivirus:
%docs%All UsersDesktopTRE AntiVirus.lnk
%docs%All UsersStart MenuProgramsTRE AntiVirus
%docs%All UsersStart MenuProgramsTRE AntiVirus1 TRE AntiVirus.lnk
%docs%All UsersStart MenuProgramsTRE AntiVirus2 Homepage.lnk
%docs%All UsersStart MenuProgramsTRE AntiVirus3 Uninstall.lnk
%progfiles%TRE AntiVirus Software
%progfiles%TRE AntiVirus SoftwareTRE AntiVirus
%progfiles%TRE AntiVirus SoftwareTRE AntiVirusalways_delete.xml
%progfiles%TRE AntiVirus SoftwareTRE AntiVirusalways_skip.xml
%progfiles%TRE AntiVirus SoftwareTRE AntiVirusmain_config.xml
%progfiles%TRE AntiVirus SoftwareTRE AntiVirustreav.exe
%progfiles%TRE AntiVirus SoftwareTRE AntiVirusuninstall.exe
%progfiles%TRE AntiVirus SoftwareTRE AntiVirusquarantine
%progfiles%TRE AntiVirus SoftwareTRE AntiVirusquarantinequarantine.xml
After the above files are deleted you have completed a manual removal of TRE antivirus. However, I highly suggest that you continue with your “housecleaning” and install malwarebytes antimalware and a reputable antivirus program, update and run a full scan with each to make certain that you have completed your TRE antivirus removal.
Related PostsRelated Posts
- How to Remove BlockWatcher | Removal Guide BlockWatcher is another iteration in the LONG line from the Wini family.... Softbarrier (softbarrier removal) and many others have looked the same... Shieldsafeness (see the shieldsafeness removal guide) as well as... SoftStronghold (softstronghold removal guide) and succeeds the following variants in this prolific family.... Softveteran (see the softveteran removal guide)......
- How to Remove SecurityFighter | Security Fighter Removal SecurityFighter is making the rounds as yet another rogue security application. It installs itself via trojans and web popups and creates files that it then claims are viral and need to be cleaned out for your computer to be safe. Of course, they never can do that without you first......
- How to Remove Personal Security | Personal Security Removal Guide Personal Security is a rogue antivirus application that comes from the same (dreaded) family as the Cyber Security rogue. It usually installs on the users computer without the permission of the computer user. Once installed on the system it will then perform supposed scans finding lots of virus infected files......
- World Wide Web Security Essentials Is Not A Real Spyware Remover. It Resembles The Functions And Looks World wide web Security Essentials is not a real spyware remover. It resembles the functions and looks of genuine spyware removal software but has no capacity to eliminate any virus, trojan or malware. Web Security Essentials is the newest addition to the growing list of rogue Antivirus programs. Internet Security......
- How to Remove Antivirus 2009, Spyware Guard 2008 and Other Malware My wife, kids, and I spent this past Christmas at my parents' house. It wasn't long after we arrived before I gravitated to their computer to check my email, read the news, check the stock market, etc. Much to my dismay, I found a barrage of malware, spyware, and......
- Kashflow Software Review KashFlow software is accounting software designed for small businesses. I have been using it now for a couple of years and I have to say, I love it! Its simple, quick and easy to use. I run a small business and it saves me a lot of time. I can email......
- How to Remove TrustSoldier | Trust Soldier Removal Guide
- How to Remove SoftStronghold | Soft Stronghold Removal Guide
- How to Remove SoftVeteran | Soft Veteran Removal Guide
- How to Remove SecureWarrior | Secure Warrior Removal Guide
- How to Remove SiteAdware | SiteAdware Removal Guide