To follow up the last post about watching google hot trends….
I noticed an unusual search in the trends for rootscan.info. It currently seems to redirect to a site talking about rogue antivirus removal so it might not be anything, but the related searches for virus doctor, virus doctor removal, windows pc defender removal make me wonder if we’ve got another wave of rogue applications. Everything I see referenced is older though with the possible exception of Windows PC Defender.
I found this listing of domains that should be blocked related to Windows PC Defender:
Now I’ve had a chance to take a look at the site further that rootscan.info is redirecting to. It’s cgidoctor.com
I see reports over at McAfee’s siteadvisor that some users are claiming there is spyware/adware being pushed from that site. I’m visiting it via firefox/linux and am not seeing anything overtly suspicious. It looks as though the download that is in each of the posts is for an installer for spyware doctor. (PCTools Spyware Doctor is a legitimate piece of software assuming that they are one and the same. (It’s Starter Edition is included in the Google Pack.) Mcafee’s scan of cgidoctor.com claims that it’s clear however many users have complaints about the site hosting dubious rogue downloads. There is also a site that has covered the rogue software groups does list cgidoctor.com as a blackhat SEO farm site for pushing software to remove the infections. By the way this site ddanchev.blogspot.com has some good info on the scareware groups and some of the domains that are being used to push the stuff.
Related PostsRelated Posts
- How to Remove BlockProtector | Removal Guide So... the tail end of last week saw another new variant in the Wini family of rogue antivirus: blockprotector. It's the successor to..... Blockscanner (blockscanner removal guide) as well as the long list of prior variants that you can find on that page. (Sorry... it's just getting to be ridiculously......
- Modern Computer Viruses are almost NEVER from whom they claim to be from This is one that I've probably talked about before, but it's worth rehashing because of a call I had this afternoon. A customer had been receiving phone calls and email messages from folks asking that he stop sending them a virus. Essentially all of the viruses were claiming to be......
- How to Remove Windows Enterprise Defender (Removal Guide) Windows Enterprise Defender is a rogue antivirus application that uses the name of Windows Defender and the similarities of their name to appear as an official product or add on to windows. Of course, the real Windows Defender is a legitimate application, but Windows Enterprise Defender is a rogue antivirus......
- The Rule of 72, 114, and 144 This is a guest post by Dax Desai. I write at a self-named blog about daytrading, financial planning, and small business issues, and whatever invades my mind at the moment. I was interested in doing a guest post at this blog and when I saw he was going on vacation......
- 2008 Income Source Statistics by Age and Total Income I saw 2 really cool tables from the Tax Foundationâ€™s Tax Policy Blog that to put it simply...inspired me.Â Both provide an statistical evidence of what I have intrinsically thought was correct, and where I should go. Statistics of Income Sources of 2008 Tax Returns The first Table provides an......
- Day 1 of my fitness journey Day 1 so time for my weigh in and measure. The scientist in me wanted to record my baseline body measurements so if my weight loss plateaus I can hopefully stay motivated with some recordable inch losses. I chose 9 points to measure on my body which I've shown on......
- How to Remove Virus Doctor (or Remove VirusDoctor) | Virus Doctor Removal
- Antivirus Removal Tools
- Remove Proof Defender | Proof Defender Removal
- How to Remove Windows Enterprise Defender (Removal Guide)
- How to Remove Windows PC Defender | Windows PC Defender Removal