To follow up the last post about watching google hot trends….
I noticed an unusual search in the trends for rootscan.info. It currently seems to redirect to a site talking about rogue antivirus removal so it might not be anything, but the related searches for virus doctor, virus doctor removal, windows pc defender removal make me wonder if we’ve got another wave of rogue applications. Everything I see referenced is older though with the possible exception of Windows PC Defender.
I found this listing of domains that should be blocked related to Windows PC Defender:
Now I’ve had a chance to take a look at the site further that rootscan.info is redirecting to. It’s cgidoctor.com
I see reports over at McAfee’s siteadvisor that some users are claiming there is spyware/adware being pushed from that site. I’m visiting it via firefox/linux and am not seeing anything overtly suspicious. It looks as though the download that is in each of the posts is for an installer for spyware doctor. (PCTools Spyware Doctor is a legitimate piece of software assuming that they are one and the same. (It’s Starter Edition is included in the Google Pack.) Mcafee’s scan of cgidoctor.com claims that it’s clear however many users have complaints about the site hosting dubious rogue downloads. There is also a site that has covered the rogue software groups does list cgidoctor.com as a blackhat SEO farm site for pushing software to remove the infections. By the way this site ddanchev.blogspot.com has some good info on the scareware groups and some of the domains that are being used to push the stuff.
Related PostsRelated Posts
- How to Remove Control Center | Control Center Removal Guide Control Center is a Rogue Security application that is designed to scare people into paying for it. It is a scam. All of it's claims about compromised system security are falsified and it really doesn't do anything outside of promote itself. It would be best if you were to avoid......
- How to Remove BlockProtector | Removal Guide So... the tail end of last week saw another new variant in the Wini family of rogue antivirus: blockprotector. It's the successor to..... Blockscanner (blockscanner removal guide) as well as the long list of prior variants that you can find on that page. (Sorry... it's just getting to be ridiculously......
- How to Remove Desktop Defender 2010 | Removal Guide Desktop Defender 2010 is a rogue antivirus program. It will prompt you with popups complaining about various problems that it claim your system has as well as scanning your computer and consistently finding some files to complain about. It also claims that it cannot fix the problems with your system......
- New Loan Funded — Finance for an ESTABLISHED Business — $25,000 at 24% — B Credit — DTI 1392557% A new loan funded (Finance for an ESTABLISHED BusinessÂ â $25,000 at 24%).Â I participated via aÂ manual bid the loan was Autofunding.Â The borrower hadÂ B credit and a 1392557% DTI (unverifiable income).Â As a reminder my standing orders (and manual bids)Â only find loans with 0 current delinquencies, 10 or less delinquencies......
- Day 1 of my fitness journey Day 1 so time for my weigh in and measure. The scientist in me wanted to record my baseline body measurements so if my weight loss plateaus I can hopefully stay motivated with some recordable inch losses. I chose 9 points to measure on my body which I've shown on......
- How to Remove Virus Doctor (or Remove VirusDoctor) | Virus Doctor Removal
- Antivirus Removal Tools
- Remove Proof Defender | Proof Defender Removal
- How to Remove Windows Enterprise Defender (Removal Guide)
- How to Remove Windows PC Defender | Windows PC Defender Removal