AntiTroy is a rogue antivirus application that is usually installed through trojans that are masquerading as a video codec update or flash player update. It usually installs without the computer users permission and will complain about many security issues with your pc. It will claim that there are virus infected files that should be removed and of course, it couldn’t possibly fix the problems until you pay for their software. This is essentially a scam to separate you from your money and you should read on for how to remove antitroy.
First you may wish to visit the control panel and use the add/remove programs dialog to see if you can uninstall antitroy. If that works, GREAT! Now, download a tool such as malwarebytes antimalware or superantispyware and do an update and scan with one of those as well as a follow up scan with AVG/Avira or another trusted antivirus application such as housecall from trendmicro or McAfee or Norton.
You can download malwarebytes antimalware from my virus removal toolkit page. While you’re there you may also wish to download process explorer as you may need it further in the removal process.
If you are unable to install malwarebytes antimalware you may try the following tricks to help get it installed. 1) rename the installer from mbam-setup.exe to something like firefox.exe and retry the install, update and scan. 2) reboot into safe mode (with networking) and retry the install/update and scan. 3) Go to the next step which will be killing off the running processes associated with AntiTroy and then retry your install of malwarebytes (without rebooting.)
The following processes should be killed off using the task manager. If the task manager does not launch you may try the following: 1) copy the executable file for the task manager (taskmgr.exe) and paste it to the desktop. Once there rename it to something like iexplore.exe and launch this renamed program to kill off the processes. 2) reboot into safe mode and see if the processes are running. 3) Use process explorer instead to kill off the following programs:
The above files have a randomization component to them – it may be mostly numbers – use the file locations you see listed below as well as the information you find on your system to determine which processes to terminate.
The following files and folders should be deleted for a full manual removal of antitroy:
%docs%All UsersStart MenuProgramsAntiTroy
%docs%All UsersStart MenuProgramsAntiTroy1 AntiTroy.lnk
%docs%All UsersStart MenuProgramsAntiTroy2 Homepage.lnk
%docs%All UsersStart MenuProgramsAntiTroy3 Uninstall.lnk
After this you should have completed your removal of antitroy. Follow up with a full scan of your system with superantispyware or malwarebytes antimalware. Then follow THAT up with a scan with a trusted antivirus product….. f-prot – antivir/avg/mcafee/norton/trendmicro/etc.
Related PostsRelated Posts
- How to Remove GuardPCs | GuardPCs Removal Guide GuardPCs looks like the latest entry from the wini family of rogues. (They just keep churning out new ones every other day it seems.) They're using the same template these days of course, just the names change. This one, as the others, is pushed through bogus video codec or flash......
- How to Remove Malware Professional 2010 | Malware Professional 2010 Removal Guide Malware Professional 2010 is a rogue security application. It is not a trusted malware removal utility and I hope users won't be fooled by their claims of problem on their system that it claims only can be removed if you pay for their software. Unfortunately many users may be tricked......
- How to Remove Total PC Defender | Total PC Defender Removal Guide Total PC Defender is a rogue antivirus application that installs via malware and trojans. The software then runs each time the system boots and will run a fake scan that is designed to scare the user. This scan will find security problems, numerous viruses and they will further claim that......
- What Is A Cloud Virtual Server Solution And How Will It Work? In recent years, cloud computing has seen more and more use. It offers new options for storing files and using the web and serves the base for many a social networking site. Internet use and communication have become much easier with the use of a cloud virtual server. The name......
- Must Have Blogging Tools Blogging has developed a serious place for itself in the internet community for many different purposes including personal use and business uses. As a result, it has evolved into becoming a truly essential tool for people who want to build communications, deliver up to date news and information and otherwise......
- Spyware: The New Annoying Threat A friend called me one day, frustrated out of his mind that his computer was acting very strange. When he opened his Internet Explorer, it sent him to a strange site and pop-up windows kept covering his screen. He even complained about the performance of his Intel Pentium 4 computer......
- How to Remove TrustSoldier | Trust Soldier Removal Guide
- How to Remove Cyber Protection Center | Removal Guide
- How to Remove AntiMalware | Antimalware Removal Guide
- How to Remove ReAnti | ReAnti Removal Guide
- How to Remove LinkSafeness | LinkSafeness Removal Guide