It looks as though that Virus Doctor (or Virusdoctor) is an older rogue antivirus application, but since it seems related to the search I was seeing lot’s of last night about rootscan.info I thought I would devote an article to the removal instructions for virus doctor. Since it may be related to Windows PC Defender, you may see an article on that coming up this evening. But, first to the matter at hand: How to carry out a virus doctor removal.
First of VIrus Doctor is a rogue antivirus application that claims to find problems on your system and then it claims to be able to fix them if and only if you pay for the software. It usually finds its way on your system through a popup ad that claims your system is infected and then closing the popup redirects you to another web page with an animation of a scan of your pc claiming that it’s finding problems.
You may see messages such as this:
Malicious applications which can contain trojans found on your PC need to be immediately removed. Click here to remove these potentially harmful items immediately with Virus Doctor.
An unauthorized program has been prevented from accessing your PC.#Port:433 from 184.108.40.206
It should be possible to remove virus doctor by downloading malwarebytes antimalware, updating it to the latest version and running a full scan of the system. (You can find a link to malwarebytes antimalware on my virus removal toolkit page.
You may want to try running malwarebytes antimalware in safe mode if the first attempt is unsuccessful. I would try this before a manual removal.
If you need to do a manual removal you can use the following information to help:
The following sites should be blocked (using the hosts file):
You may make use of Task manager to kill of the following processes:
The following dll files will need to be unregistered:
And the following files and their folders should be removed:
%UserProf%Application DataMicrosoftInternet ExplorerQuick LaunchVirus Doctor.lnk
%UserProf%Application DataVirus Doctorsettings.ini
%UserProf%Application DataVirus Doctoruill.ini
%UserProf%Start MenuProgramsVirus Doctor.lnk
%UserProf%Start MenuVirus Doctor.lnk
%Docs%All UsersApplication Data[RANDOM]LanguagesVDDe.lng
%Docs%All UsersApplication Data[RANDOM]LanguagesVDFr.lng
%Docs%All UsersApplication Data[RANDOM]LanguagesVDIt.lng
%Docs%All UsersApplication Data[RANDOM]System Data ConfigurationDBInfo.ver
%Docs%All UsersApplication Data[RANDOM]System Data Configurationvd[RANDOM].bd
%Docs%All UsersApplication Data[RANDOM]unins000.dat
%Docs%All UsersApplication DataSystem Data Configurationconfig.cfg
%Docs%All UsersApplication DataSystem Data ConfigurationDB.ini
Some of the above may be created using random strings so be suspicious of files or folders that don’t seem to be naturally named.
Even after a manual removal, I suggest running a tool such as malwarebytes antimalware for a more thorough cleaning. Update and run it again after it cleans out the things it finds. (I like to run such utilities until it comes clean.)
Virus Doctor may be relate to the newer rogue Windows Additional Guard.
Related PostsRelated Posts
- How to Remove AntiSpyware Shield Pro | AntiSpyware Shield Pro Removal AntiSpyware Shield Pro is a rogue antivirus that typically is installed via trojans or other malware. Once it's invited itself onto the system it will do all sorts of things. It will popup warnings about the computers security. It will scan the computer for viruses and find many files that......
- How to Remove Antivir | Antivir Removal Guide Antivir is a rogue antivirus application that is pushed through web site popup ads on unsuspecting users. Basically in web browsing you may see a popup claiming that your computer is infected and you should run a malware scan. Clicking to proceed will probably show an animation of a scan......
- How to Remove PC Live Guard | PC Live Guard Removal Guide PC Live Guard is a Rogue antivirus application that typically installs on a system through aggressive advertising and fake scan sites. You will see things that pop up appearing to be a scan of your computer, but it's really just an ad pushing this product. Once the software is on......
- Remove Spyware: Make your Pc Clean and Safe To find out how effectively you can remove Spyware from your system read it. Spyware are some malicious programs that get installed in your computer through Internet with the help of free offered utility software. These Spyware or the Adware as usually known, install with or without users consent and......
- 10 Free Online Budgeting Applications One of the great things about the Internet is that free stuff is everywhere. Sometimes you can even find good free stuff. It may surprise you that there are a lot of companies offering to help you budget your money for free. Before I go too much further with the......
- How Can Marketplace Samurai Aid Your Organization Increase? On the web marketplace is often a extremely competitive marketplace currently where surviving for any online company just isn't quick. Today a number of web sites are launched each and every now and then either to promote items or services of companies. Right way of marketing is critical for your......
- How to Remove Windows System Defender | Removal Guide
- Remove Total Security 2009 | TotalSecurity 2009 Removal
- How to Remove Windows Smart Security (Removal Guide)
- How to Remove Windows PC Defender | Windows PC Defender Removal
- How to Remove Windows Enterprise Defender (Removal Guide)