In ubuntu/debian linux software installs, there are such things as “metapackages” which is a package that just describes what OTHER packages it “needs”. For instance in ubuntu, the kubuntu-desktop package is just such a package – when choosing it, it installs everything necessary for the kubuntu desktop/customizations to install. So, I was hit with an idea while I was apt-getting 30-40 odd packages…. everytime I “provision” a new ubuntu system I have a list of packages that I want to make sure are installed, why don’t I just create a single metapackage and be done with it to make life simpler…. But how could I do this?
This article has the essentials…. make an empty directory structure….
mkdir -p package/DEBIAN
and create a control file….. *(single text file, named control in the DEBIAN folder)
example from above site…
Maintainer: Ian Defor
Depends: abiword, gnumeric, xchat-gnome
Description: Iandefor’s Metapackage
Iandefor’s preferred packages
Customized of course to your preference….
And then dpkg-deb -b package name.deb
It might be worthwhile to break your metapackages up into a couple of “thought” groups… internet / multimedia /etc… but if you’ve got several systems and want to make sure you quickly and easily install the same software on each this could be a good shortcut for you.
Related PostsRelated Posts
- List of Open Source software Packages The following is long, but likely not complete. This is a list of open-source software packages: Computer software licensed under an open-source license. Software that fits the Free software definition may be more appropriately called free software; the GNU project in particular objects to their works being referred to as......
- Open Source Clipart Library I'm putting this under software for Windows and Linux, because this is something I've been asked about several times. What kind of clipart comes with OpenOffice.org or with Koffice. There are some samples usually, but clipart is one of those areas that has traditionally been hard to come by for......
- Linux network worm... There is a linux network worm (virus) in the wild, which I've mentioned already in an earlier post. I did want to take a few moments to highlight this and dispell a few myths. (This is the first linux virus I recall seeing over at SARC in the last couple......
- Web Site Design Software Tips on how to choose the best software to use to develop your site. When you have decided that you need a website, for company or personal use, there is tons of software in the marketplace available to lend you a hand. Because there's a whole lot software available at......
- Ten Steps To Become a Linux/Unix Geek Until recently, Linux/Unix was considered OS of the geeks. However, with GUI and more desktop Linux distributions, things have simplified on both Linux and Unix. Still you can geek out with Unix/Linux using its terminal. Just follow the steps below to master the terminal. 1. Never used Linux! Get Ubuntu......
- Web Hosting Packages And How To Get More Value For Money From Them It is a real shame but a lot of us fail to get good value for money from our web hosting packages. And this is not something that we can blame on our web hosting providers because they have plenty of extra options available but we just don't make the......
- Building Deb packages from source….
- Opengroupware install on Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper Drake
- apt-get introduction
- Useful Linux Utilities
- Nero for Linux