In ubuntu/debian linux software installs, there are such things as “metapackages” which is a package that just describes what OTHER packages it “needs”. For instance in ubuntu, the kubuntu-desktop package is just such a package – when choosing it, it installs everything necessary for the kubuntu desktop/customizations to install. So, I was hit with an idea while I was apt-getting 30-40 odd packages…. everytime I “provision” a new ubuntu system I have a list of packages that I want to make sure are installed, why don’t I just create a single metapackage and be done with it to make life simpler…. But how could I do this?
This article has the essentials…. make an empty directory structure….
mkdir -p package/DEBIAN
and create a control file….. *(single text file, named control in the DEBIAN folder)
example from above site…
Maintainer: Ian Defor
Depends: abiword, gnumeric, xchat-gnome
Description: Iandefor’s Metapackage
Iandefor’s preferred packages
Customized of course to your preference….
And then dpkg-deb -b package name.deb
It might be worthwhile to break your metapackages up into a couple of “thought” groups… internet / multimedia /etc… but if you’ve got several systems and want to make sure you quickly and easily install the same software on each this could be a good shortcut for you.
Related PostsRelated Posts
- List of Open Source software Packages The following is long, but likely not complete. This is a list of open-source software packages: Computer software licensed under an open-source license. Software that fits the Free software definition may be more appropriately called free software; the GNU project in particular objects to their works being referred to as......
- Linux Software Raid Notes - Replacing Drives This post is going to be somewhat of a "link dump" for me of some pages that I've been perusing lately. After playing with RT (request tracker) - I added a few ticket items for the home network. Now, if you've been a longtime reader and sorted through ALL of......
- Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Netbook Remix on an Acer Aspire One ZG5 trackpad issues Recently I had the opportunity to work on an Acer Aspire One netbook. It's rare that I get the chance to work on a linux desktop system for a client. Most of my desktop users that I support run Windows (although I primarily run linux on my machines.) I get......
- The Easiest Way to Create Professional Websites If you want to create your own Internet Web Site, there are many ways you can do this. Obviously you can outsource the work and pay for someone to do it for you, or you can build your own site using software such as Dreamweaver or Microsoft's Front Page (Expression......
- Creating a Blister Package for Your Product When you have decided that you are going to send your product out in blister packaging you want to make sure that you understand how you can do this well. Be sure that you have your product packaged efficiently and packaged securely. Take the time that you need to understand......
- Luxury Ski Holidays Taking your family on a winter vacation can be a difficult task if you are unsure about where to go. Many people decide to take their family someplace warm and tropical during the colder months of the year, but others choose luxury ski holidays for the ultimate in fun and......
- Building Deb packages from source….
- Opengroupware install on Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper Drake
- apt-get introduction
- Useful Linux Utilities
- Nero for Linux