For around 3-4 months now I’ve had a REALLY annoying problem with the wordpress install on this site. Trackbacks suddenly stopped working. Somewhere around my 800th post or so while the WMF vulnerability was circulating (between Christmas and New Years) and I was typing furiously – poof…. suddenly trackbacks stopped going out. (Incoming trackbacks seemed to work just fine…) What’s had me stumped for so long is that I host 2 (now three) other sites off the same domain and I haven’t had a problem with ANY of those sending pingbacks or trackbacks.
At one point I thought maybe a trackback in the “queue” was stuck and used one of the suggested fixes to zero out the mysql field that holds information on sites to_ping (in wp_post…) In fact, there is a specific phpmyadmin sql query I’ve tried several times…. Update wp_posts set to_ping=”
Which hasn’t made things work.
Of course, I just upgraded to WordPress 2.0.2 and I had hoped that somehow magically the upgrade would make things start working again. The upgrade did no such miracle, so… quite weary of doing manual trackbacks I decided I’d research this evening. Additionally, I had the new odd behaviour of a blank page showing up when I edit or add a post… the address bar would read http://mysite.com/wp-admin/post.php but the page would be blank. Refreshing would bring up the post page, but it was inconvenient and annoying.
So… to summarize….. I’ve got 4 wordpress installs on one site (in one VPS), one suddenly stopped trackbacking the others worked fine. The only difference I can think of is the site that stopped trackbacking has over 1000 posts, the next closest is maybe 300 posts. Along the way of my research, I discovered that you can go to http://yoursite.com/wp-admin/execute-pings.php which seems like a good workaround (although automatic pings that wordpress “figures out” with another wordpress install don’t seem to go this way….)
What really made the breakthrough for me though was the discussion thread for this post… A comment from Antiorario who was suffering from the same wordpress problem…. mentioned that in his .htaccess file he added….. “php_value memory_limit 16M” which didn’t make trackbacks automatically when publishing a post, but DID enable the execute-pings.php to work….
Now, this moment was the classic – AHA…. I looked in the vps at /etc/php.ini (which is where php is configured…) and found….. memory_limit = 8M
I changed it to 32MB (I guess I could have tried 16 first… but …. in the other persons example 16M wasn’t quite enough to solve the ENTIRE problem.)…. I restarted the VPS and voila voici…. pingbacks/trackbacks now work…. In fact, I now don’t get the blank page after publishing or modifying a post….
So, in sum….
If you have a problem with outgoing trackbacks, or any other problem where it appears that wordpress has done some work, but has unexpectedly quit at some point, check and see (if possible) what the php memory limit is…. If you have access to your php.ini you can change the limit there, as I did, or you can try including something like “php_value memory_limit 32M” (without the quotes) in your .htaccess if you can’t access php.ini. Frankly I wasn’t sure you could override the php memory limit from .htaccess…
After 4 months of tolerating that problem….
Related PostsRelated Posts
- Google search results catching up... Some time back I complained about the Google indexing of the site after the Big Daddy upgrade. For a good while before Big Daddy, there was usually about a week delay between me posting and there being a full crawl of the posted page which was fairly impressive. Post Big-Daddy......
- More details on php exploit from last week Ok. I have a bit of time that I can sit down and get a little more detailed on what specifically happened late last week that shut the site down for a couple days. At one point, I had updated the ezcontents script for the main site (averyjparker.com), but I......
- Wordpress 2.0.4 Update It has been a few days now, but I noticed that Wordpress 2.0.4 has now been released and is highly recommended due to the fixing of a few security issues. They also list a number of bugfixes as well. So, if you're running a site based on wordpress it's time......
- Fast and Simple SEO to Increase from PageRank 0 I was very surprised when I learned that I had quickly increased to a PageRank of 3 within less than 30 days of having created this blog. A few weeks later, I reflected upon some of the things that may have contributed to improving my PageRank. More recently, I came......
- Search Engine Optimization - SEO All You Need to Know SEO All You Need to Know In part one of this Online Marketing series I touched briefly on SEO. I actually touched briefly on a great many subjects, and most of them are directly related to Search Engine Optimization. In this article I am going to try and explain the......
- Things You Should Know To Help Write Your Persuasive Ad Copy Writing persuasive ad copy is more about injecting clarity and action oriented text into your content and trying to persuade the reader to buy your product, hire you or take the action you want them to take and not just putting a few random paragraphs together. It's important to work......
- Manual Trackbacks
- WordPress Fancy Permalinks not working Giving 404 error
- Trackback spam and countermeasures like Akismet and trackback validation
- Strange Outage
- WordPress update to 2.0.2