SafetyKeeper is a rogue security application that installs via malware (trojans) and via trojan horse applications also displays security warning popups claiming that the system is infected with malware. (Files that it creates are cited as evidence of the malware infection.) It will also cite “infiltration alerts” or “security center alerts”. It spoofs the look and feel of the Windows Security Center (legitimate), except it is pushing the purchase of SafetyKeeper. Read on for instructions on how to Remove SafetyKeeper.
Numerous files are created by this application in the %WinDir% (Windows Directory) and %WinDir%System32 all of these files created are harmless, but if you inadvertently delete the wrong files in these folders you will cause serious problems with your install of Windows.
The files that this rogue ( safetykeeper ) installs in the %WinDir% and %WinDir%System32 are given random names and you may use the names below as a sample of what to look for.
Malwarebytes Antimalware is recommended to run and remove safetykeeper. You can download it from the link on my virus removal toolkit page. When you download and run malwarebytes make sure to update it so that you will have the latest definition files. If it proves more difficult to remove, boot into safe mode and attempt the removal again.
The files to remove if you need a manual removal are as follows:
%DocRoot%All UsersStart MenuProgramsSafetyKeeper
%DocRoot%All UsersStart MenuProgramsSafetyKeeper1 SafetyKeeper.lnk
%DocRoot%All UsersStart MenuProgramsSafetyKeeper2 Homepage.lnk
%DocRoot%All UsersStart MenuProgramsSafetyKeeper3 Uninstall.lnk
Some of the processes from this program may need to be killed off from task manager before you are able to perform a successful safetykeeper removal. Even after a manual removal you should (update and) run malwarebytes to clean up any leftovers or other nasties that helped safetykeeper install on your system or that it may have brought since.
Related PostsRelated Posts
- How to Remove SecuritySoldier | Security Soldier Removal SecuritySoldier is the latest in the WiniGuard Family (SecurityFIghter, SaveArmor, SaveDefender are just the names that came out in the last week.) These busy bees have pretty much just renamed the program and files. It looks the same as each of the recent previous rogues. Just as those do it......
- How to Remove SecureWarrior | Secure Warrior Removal Guide Proving once again that it takes little creativity to put out rogue antivirus applications, the same group that was behind secure fighter (securefighter removal guide) have renamed their software again and one of the more recent versions is called securewarrior. Read on for a guide to the removal of securewarrior.......
- How to Remove TrustCop | TrustCop Removal Guide TrustCop is another rogue antivirus application in the long line of the family that gave us SecureSoldier (SecureSoldier removal guide), SecureWarrior (SecureWarrior Removal Guide) and countless other renamings before that. They essentially all have the same look, feel and theming. The only thing that's different is the name. They also......
- World Wide Web Security Essentials Is Not A Real Spyware Remover. It Resembles The Functions And Looks World wide web Security Essentials is not a real spyware remover. It resembles the functions and looks of genuine spyware removal software but has no capacity to eliminate any virus, trojan or malware. Web Security Essentials is the newest addition to the growing list of rogue Antivirus programs. Internet Security......
- How Home Improvement Software Can Help You Out If you are interested in home improvement these days, you also need to be interested in what the modern world can do for you as far as home improvement is concerned. There is no type of handyman in today’s world that does not use the conveniences of modern technology to......
- The Best Free Registry Cleaner Software Exposed! The Windows registry is a directory on Microsoft operating systems such as Windows XP, Windows Vista and even Windows mobile. It stores information on the settings of all the hardware, software, and other information about your computer. It creates a log of registry entries. Registry entries can be created by......
- Remove SaveDefender | SaveDefender Removal
- How to Remove SystemCop | System Cop Removal
- How to Remove SecurityFighter | Security Fighter Removal
- Remove Proof Defender | Proof Defender Removal
- How to Remove BlockDefense | Block Defense Removal