SafetyKeeper is a rogue security application that installs via malware (trojans) and via trojan horse applications also displays security warning popups claiming that the system is infected with malware. (Files that it creates are cited as evidence of the malware infection.) It will also cite “infiltration alerts” or “security center alerts”. It spoofs the look and feel of the Windows Security Center (legitimate), except it is pushing the purchase of SafetyKeeper. Read on for instructions on how to Remove SafetyKeeper.
Numerous files are created by this application in the %WinDir% (Windows Directory) and %WinDir%System32 all of these files created are harmless, but if you inadvertently delete the wrong files in these folders you will cause serious problems with your install of Windows.
The files that this rogue ( safetykeeper ) installs in the %WinDir% and %WinDir%System32 are given random names and you may use the names below as a sample of what to look for.
Malwarebytes Antimalware is recommended to run and remove safetykeeper. You can download it from the link on my virus removal toolkit page. When you download and run malwarebytes make sure to update it so that you will have the latest definition files. If it proves more difficult to remove, boot into safe mode and attempt the removal again.
The files to remove if you need a manual removal are as follows:
%DocRoot%All UsersStart MenuProgramsSafetyKeeper
%DocRoot%All UsersStart MenuProgramsSafetyKeeper1 SafetyKeeper.lnk
%DocRoot%All UsersStart MenuProgramsSafetyKeeper2 Homepage.lnk
%DocRoot%All UsersStart MenuProgramsSafetyKeeper3 Uninstall.lnk
Some of the processes from this program may need to be killed off from task manager before you are able to perform a successful safetykeeper removal. Even after a manual removal you should (update and) run malwarebytes to clean up any leftovers or other nasties that helped safetykeeper install on your system or that it may have brought since.
Related PostsRelated Posts
- How to Remove Internet Security 2010 | Internet Security 2010 Removal Guide Internet Security 2010 is the name of a rogue antivirus application that is one of the more recent to be making the rounds. It will typically install itself on your system through the use of other malware. These rogue antivirus applications typically will pop up warnings and alerts about the......
- How to Remove SiteAdware | SiteAdware Removal Guide SiteAdware is a rogue antivirus application that is typically installed without the computer users express permission. It is promoted through trojans and fake video codec or flash player updates. Once established on the sysem it will tend to do a falsified scan of your pc and claim that you have......
- How to Remove TrustCop | TrustCop Removal Guide TrustCop is another rogue antivirus application in the long line of the family that gave us SecureSoldier (SecureSoldier removal guide), SecureWarrior (SecureWarrior Removal Guide) and countless other renamings before that. They essentially all have the same look, feel and theming. The only thing that's different is the name. They also......
- Computer Malware and Preventive Recommendations: Botnets It’s often what we don’t know can hurt us the most… That is the case when it comes to the effects of malware such as computer viruses, worms and Trojans. Botnets are one of the fastest growing and the most dangerous threat on the Internet today. “Bot” stands for robot,......
- Save Time, Money and Space in Over 80 Ways If you're looking for handy gadgets, tools and various items that can save you time, money or space (or all three!) this list of more than 80 top products is just what you need. Everyone's got saving money on their minds these days- whether your at the grocery store, or......
- What’s Wrong With Blogging – Blogger’s Perspective Yesterday, I looked at reader's take on What's wrong with blogging - a question asked by Darren Rowse on his blog. Today I want to write about the aspects of blogging which I feel are still undeveloped. Few years ago, blogging was unheard of and there were only few hobbyists......
- Remove SaveDefender | SaveDefender Removal
- How to Remove SystemCop | System Cop Removal
- How to Remove SecurityFighter | Security Fighter Removal
- Remove Proof Defender | Proof Defender Removal
- How to Remove BlockDefense | Block Defense Removal