Proof Defender is another rogue security application that acts and claims to be antispyware/antivirus, but in reality is nothing more than a scam to get your dollars for a program that raises red flags over imaginary viruses and claims to clean them. It’s related to the Perfect Defender 2009 family of rogue security software. This particular scanner is pushed through exploits via the web browser and popups that mimic the appearance that a scan is being performed. These popups then trick the user into believing a security issue exists on the PC and they should download and run the software to clean things up. (It claims it can only clean them up if you pay.) So, read on for instructions on how to remove proof defender.
This malware will put up popups claiming that the machine is infected all of which is false. It further claims to be able to fix them if you pay to register the software.
To remove proof defender I would start by downloading, running and updating malwarebytes antimalware (it can be found from my virus removal toolkit page.) If malwarebytes antimalware is not able to clean the infection out in a regular boot of Windows XP, you should try booting into Safe Mode and try again.
If you need to perform a manual removal, the following files are associated with Proof Defender and should be deleted to complete the Proof Defender Removal:
%Progfiles%Proof Defender 2009
%Progfiles%Proof Defender 2009dbbase.div
%Progfiles%Proof Defender 2009pd.dll
%Progfiles%Proof Defender 2009pdfndr.exe
%Progfiles%Proof Defender 2009UnInstall.exe
%DocRoot%All UsersStart MenuProgramsProof Defender 2009
%DocRoot%All UsersStart MenuProgramsProof Defender 2009Proof Defender 2009.lnk
%DocRoot%All UsersStart MenuProgramsProof Defender 2009Uninstall Proof Defender 2009.lnk
As above, if needed boot into Safe mode to remove the following files you may need to terminate some of them via the task manager. After the manual removal I would use malwarebytes antimalware to clean up the remainder of the infection. (Make sure to update it first.)
Related PostsRelated Posts
- How to Remove Data Doctor 2010 | Data Doctor 2010 Removal Guide Data Doctor 2010 is a rogue antivirus application. It will pop up warnings and claim that your system is infected with viruses or has other security problems. In reality the worst problem you have is that Data Doctor 2010 is on your system. It will further claim that it can......
- So who is behind Windows Police Pro Virus / Rogue Security Software? As I've seen the continuing FLOOD of searches for some way to Remove Windows Police Pro, I've been starting to wonder at the who is behind this particular piece of junk software. These programs aren't written by your average ordinary virus writer, there is really too much spit and polish......
- How to Remove Internet Security 2010 | Internet Security 2010 Removal Guide Internet Security 2010 is the name of a rogue antivirus application that is one of the more recent to be making the rounds. It will typically install itself on your system through the use of other malware. These rogue antivirus applications typically will pop up warnings and alerts about the......
- Microsoft Warns of SQL Attack SQL stands for Structured Query Language. SQL Attack is kind of Hacking attack. Just days after patching a critical flaw in its Internet Explorer browser, Microsoft is now warning users of a serious bug in its SQL Server database software. Microsoft issued a security advisory late Monday, saying that the......
- 3 Facts about Coin Proof Sets or Coin Mint Sets Anyone who is getting into the world of coin collecting needs to know some information about proof sets and coin mint sets. This is because these types of coin sets can be very valuable in some cases. By having a basic understanding of coin mint sets you will be better......
- Taking Care of Rare Coins Rare coins can be an incredibly important part of any coin collection, as they provide interest, intrigue, and pride to the collection itself. Some people will only have a few of these coins in their collection, while others will have a wealth of these coins. Whether you have one rare......
- Remove SafetyKeeper | SafetyKeeper Removal
- Remove SaveDefender | SaveDefender Removal
- How to Remove SystemCop | System Cop Removal
- How to Remove Windows PC Defender | Windows PC Defender Removal
- How to Remove System Defender | System Defender Removal Guide