Proof Defender is another rogue security application that acts and claims to be antispyware/antivirus, but in reality is nothing more than a scam to get your dollars for a program that raises red flags over imaginary viruses and claims to clean them. It’s related to the Perfect Defender 2009 family of rogue security software. This particular scanner is pushed through exploits via the web browser and popups that mimic the appearance that a scan is being performed. These popups then trick the user into believing a security issue exists on the PC and they should download and run the software to clean things up. (It claims it can only clean them up if you pay.) So, read on for instructions on how to remove proof defender.
This malware will put up popups claiming that the machine is infected all of which is false. It further claims to be able to fix them if you pay to register the software.
To remove proof defender I would start by downloading, running and updating malwarebytes antimalware (it can be found from my virus removal toolkit page.) If malwarebytes antimalware is not able to clean the infection out in a regular boot of Windows XP, you should try booting into Safe Mode and try again.
If you need to perform a manual removal, the following files are associated with Proof Defender and should be deleted to complete the Proof Defender Removal:
%Progfiles%Proof Defender 2009
%Progfiles%Proof Defender 2009dbbase.div
%Progfiles%Proof Defender 2009pd.dll
%Progfiles%Proof Defender 2009pdfndr.exe
%Progfiles%Proof Defender 2009UnInstall.exe
%DocRoot%All UsersStart MenuProgramsProof Defender 2009
%DocRoot%All UsersStart MenuProgramsProof Defender 2009Proof Defender 2009.lnk
%DocRoot%All UsersStart MenuProgramsProof Defender 2009Uninstall Proof Defender 2009.lnk
As above, if needed boot into Safe mode to remove the following files you may need to terminate some of them via the task manager. After the manual removal I would use malwarebytes antimalware to clean up the remainder of the infection. (Make sure to update it first.)
Related PostsRelated Posts
- So who is behind Windows Police Pro Virus / Rogue Security Software? As I've seen the continuing FLOOD of searches for some way to Remove Windows Police Pro, I've been starting to wonder at the who is behind this particular piece of junk software. These programs aren't written by your average ordinary virus writer, there is really too much spit and polish......
- How to Remove AntiAdd | AntiAdd Removal Guide AntiAdd is a rogue antivirus application. It is installed via trojans that claim to be video codec or flash player updates and then once installed on the system it will claim to be scanning your computer and discovering all sorts of viral infected files. In addition to this it may......
- How to Remove DefendAPC | DefendAPC Removal Guide DefendAPC is the latest variation on the Wini family of rogue antivirus. It is typically promoted via the use of trojans, malware and aggressive advertising. Once installed on the system it will run supposed scans of the system claiming that you have viruses on your system and that you have......
- World Wide Web Security Essentials Is Not A Real Spyware Remover. It Resembles The Functions And Looks World wide web Security Essentials is not a real spyware remover. It resembles the functions and looks of genuine spyware removal software but has no capacity to eliminate any virus, trojan or malware. Web Security Essentials is the newest addition to the growing list of rogue Antivirus programs. Internet Security......
- Stock Assault 2.0 AI Software - 60% Commission, 17% Conversion Rate Once your copy of Stock Assault 2.0 picks a stock, you can also research the stock using the built-in features such as charting if you wish.Real day traders and professional traders do just that, hence the name "day" traders.But we'll guarantee that you'll barely make any money after a year......
- Microsoft Warns of SQL Attack SQL stands for Structured Query Language. SQL Attack is kind of Hacking attack. Just days after patching a critical flaw in its Internet Explorer browser, Microsoft is now warning users of a serious bug in its SQL Server database software. Microsoft issued a security advisory late Monday, saying that the......
- Remove SafetyKeeper | SafetyKeeper Removal
- Remove SaveDefender | SaveDefender Removal
- How to Remove SystemCop | System Cop Removal
- How to Remove Windows PC Defender | Windows PC Defender Removal
- How to Remove System Defender | System Defender Removal Guide