Proof Defender is another rogue security application that acts and claims to be antispyware/antivirus, but in reality is nothing more than a scam to get your dollars for a program that raises red flags over imaginary viruses and claims to clean them. It’s related to the Perfect Defender 2009 family of rogue security software. This particular scanner is pushed through exploits via the web browser and popups that mimic the appearance that a scan is being performed. These popups then trick the user into believing a security issue exists on the PC and they should download and run the software to clean things up. (It claims it can only clean them up if you pay.) So, read on for instructions on how to remove proof defender.
This malware will put up popups claiming that the machine is infected all of which is false. It further claims to be able to fix them if you pay to register the software.
To remove proof defender I would start by downloading, running and updating malwarebytes antimalware (it can be found from my virus removal toolkit page.) If malwarebytes antimalware is not able to clean the infection out in a regular boot of Windows XP, you should try booting into Safe Mode and try again.
If you need to perform a manual removal, the following files are associated with Proof Defender and should be deleted to complete the Proof Defender Removal:
%Progfiles%Proof Defender 2009
%Progfiles%Proof Defender 2009dbbase.div
%Progfiles%Proof Defender 2009pd.dll
%Progfiles%Proof Defender 2009pdfndr.exe
%Progfiles%Proof Defender 2009UnInstall.exe
%DocRoot%All UsersStart MenuProgramsProof Defender 2009
%DocRoot%All UsersStart MenuProgramsProof Defender 2009Proof Defender 2009.lnk
%DocRoot%All UsersStart MenuProgramsProof Defender 2009Uninstall Proof Defender 2009.lnk
As above, if needed boot into Safe mode to remove the following files you may need to terminate some of them via the task manager. After the manual removal I would use malwarebytes antimalware to clean up the remainder of the infection. (Make sure to update it first.)
Related PostsRelated Posts
- How to Remove PCSecure | PCSecure Removal Guide PCSecure is a recent rogue antivirus from the notorious and prolific wini family of rogue security software. It is typically promoted via trojan downloaders. Usually these will be on a website with a video that may be highly sought after. In order to see the video though you are told......
- How to Remove AntiAdd | AntiAdd Removal Guide AntiAdd is a rogue antivirus application. It is installed via trojans that claim to be video codec or flash player updates and then once installed on the system it will claim to be scanning your computer and discovering all sorts of viral infected files. In addition to this it may......
- How to Remove SecureWarrior | Secure Warrior Removal Guide Proving once again that it takes little creativity to put out rogue antivirus applications, the same group that was behind secure fighter (securefighter removal guide) have renamed their software again and one of the more recent versions is called securewarrior. Read on for a guide to the removal of securewarrior.......
- World Wide Web Security Essentials Is Not A Real Spyware Remover. It Resembles The Functions And Looks World wide web Security Essentials is not a real spyware remover. It resembles the functions and looks of genuine spyware removal software but has no capacity to eliminate any virus, trojan or malware. Web Security Essentials is the newest addition to the growing list of rogue Antivirus programs. Internet Security......
- Taking Care of Rare Coins Rare coins can be an incredibly important part of any coin collection, as they provide interest, intrigue, and pride to the collection itself. Some people will only have a few of these coins in their collection, while others will have a wealth of these coins. Whether you have one rare......
- Stock Assault 2.0 AI Software - 60% Commission, 17% Conversion Rate Once your copy of Stock Assault 2.0 picks a stock, you can also research the stock using the built-in features such as charting if you wish.Real day traders and professional traders do just that, hence the name "day" traders.But we'll guarantee that you'll barely make any money after a year......
- Remove SafetyKeeper | SafetyKeeper Removal
- Remove SaveDefender | SaveDefender Removal
- How to Remove SystemCop | System Cop Removal
- How to Remove Windows PC Defender | Windows PC Defender Removal
- How to Remove System Defender | System Defender Removal Guide