Blockdefense is yet another of these wolves in sheep clothing that make some computer users lives so miserable these days. It is from the same group of malware that includes Trustninja, save soldier, and savedefense. These are part of a group of rogue antivirus programs that are part of the WinGuard group of related malware.
Like so many of these it encourages users to buy based on trumped up fears about files that it claims are threats. (Which it created on the disk.) So, here is how you go about removal of blockdefense…
First off you will want to visit the virus removal toolkit and download malwarebytes antimalware. If possible you may be able to install and update this program without needing to visit safe mode or disable blockdefense outright. However, you may need to disable the blockdefense running processes first.
The processes that run as block defense are:
If you want to go for a manual removal, you may want to boot into safe mode first and or disable the running processes listed above. The files you need to delete in order to remove blockdefense are:
C:Documents and SettingsAll UsersStart MenuProgramsBlockDefense
%Documentsroot%All UsersStart MenuProgramsBlockDefense1 BlockDefense.lnk
%Documentsroot%All UsersStart MenuProgramsBlockDefense2 Homepage.lnk
%Documentsroot%All UsersStart MenuProgramsBlockDefense3 Uninstall.lnk
After this I still recommend running a good malware removal tool like malwarebytes antimalware (Mbam). It can help clean out blockdefense and any other traces it may leave on your system.
Update — additional running processes may include:
and additional files to remove may include the following:
Related PostsRelated Posts
- How to Remove ShieldSafeness | ShieldSafeness Removal Guide The Wini family of rogue antivirus software has given us yet another version in the last couple days... ShieldSafeness. This is quick on the heels of SoftStronghold (softstronghold removal guide) and succeeds the following variants in this prolific family.... Softveteran (see the softveteran removal guide) but.... SoftCop (see the SoftCop......
- How to Remove SystemCop | System Cop Removal Yes, it's another rogue antivirus package that causes all sorts of headaches, popups, false warnings and yes, you have to pay to solve the problems it claims to find. Essentially the software, when installed creates lot's of files that on scanning your system it "discovers" and claims they are a......
- How to Remove SecureKeeper | Secure Keeper Removal SecureKeeper is a rogue antivirus application in the Wini family (with their recent new look user interface.) The Wini family is a very long running line of rogue security applications that have been producing two to three different rogues each week. Of course, the primary changes are the names, but......
- Display Your iGoogle Gadget User Count Most of you probably won't use this ever, but if you are an iGoogle gadget developer then this is definitely for you! I put together a simple little tool that will display how many users my gadgets currently have, and I've set it up so that anyone can use it.......
- FAQ about computer security Q: The virus blocked the registry access and how to get rid of it?A: You can deal with like this: 1. Click on Start -> Run (or Start Search in Windows Vista). 2. Enter GPEdit.msc and then press Enter. 3. Navigate to the following location: User Configuration -> Administrative Templates......
- How to Remove Antivirus 2009, Spyware Guard 2008 and Other Malware My wife, kids, and I spent this past Christmas at my parents' house. It wasn't long after we arrived before I gravitated to their computer to check my email, read the news, check the stock market, etc. Much to my dismay, I found a barrage of malware, spyware, and......
- Remove SafetyKeeper | SafetyKeeper Removal
- How to Remove SystemCop | System Cop Removal
- How to Remove SecurityFighter | Security Fighter Removal
- Remove SaveDefender | SaveDefender Removal
- How to Remove SafeFighter | Safe Fighter Removal Guide