Here are a few other notes on linux software raid. I created a directory called raidinfo to keep information in to make it easy to maintain the raid array. First… from the software raid howto, I’ve done the following….
sfdisk -d /dev/hda > /raidinfo/partitions.hda
sfdisk -d /dev/hde > /raidinfo/partitions.hde
So…. I’ve now got a good snapshot of the partitioning data. When I hooked up an external usb drive to add to the array, all I needed to do is this…
sfdisk /dev/sda < /raidinfo/partitions.hda
And…. I’ve got the drive partitioned.
Then I did a quick …. sudo mdadm –grow /dev/md0 -n 3 (previously 2)
and sudo mdadm –add /dev/md0 /dev/sda1
(for each partition and md0 device and things were happily syncing.) Actually, I’ve done a script to grow and add the partitions to the arrays and then to remove and “shrink” the array *(tip: – use the grow command with -n 2 to shrink.)
The master boot record is another issue (grub is used on this system.) I found a hint about grub’s batch mode and did a quick try of the following….
cat <<EOF | /sbin/grub --batch
device (hd0) /dev/sda
which seemed to do the trick, things are still syncing (/boot had already finished though.) I’ll test once the sync is finished.
The only other thing left seems to be to update the /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf file…
cp mdadm.conf mdadm.conf.`date +%y%m%d`
echo "DEVICE partitions" > mdadm.conf
mdadm --detail --scan >> mdadm.conf
Related PostsRelated Posts
- More linux software raid fun OK, I know there are probably quite a few looking at this thinking.... "Hello where has he been?" when I'm talking about playing around with software raid under ubuntu linux, but.... in spite of all I've done supporting desktop systems and even small business servers I've never had an opportunity......
- Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon coming The release date for the 7.10 Ubuntu release is coming soon. I've installed a beta into a virtual machine to see what's what and so far haven't had much time to play around. I seem to recall the localization question being new in the installer, but then it's been a......
- Open Source Java and Linux distros redistributing java For years, the call has been to open source Java.... it appears that day is, well... coming. Not at hand yet, but for startersJava can now be bundled with Linux distributions.... and is looking for advice on how to get from where they are to open source Java. So it......
- Wordpress 2.9 "Carmen" released Wordpress has released the latest version of its famous blogging software! The new version 2.9, code named "Carmen" is now available for download. The new version comes with over 500 bug fixes, changes and enhancements which makes it a recommended download and install. Some of the new features include: Trashbin:......
- How to Stop Annoying Computer Error Messages Error pop-ups are annoying. They can cause our computers to freeze and crash, and reduce our productivity. I'm going to give you a three step process to deal with computer errors messages of varying degrees. No one step will work for every error so try them in order to determine......
- How Home Improvement Software Can Help You Out If you are interested in home improvement these days, you also need to be interested in what the modern world can do for you as far as home improvement is concerned. There is no type of handyman in today’s world that does not use the conveniences of modern technology to......
- Ubuntu Linux Software Raid – Replacing a Failing Drive
- More linux software raid fun
- Software raid under linux (Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper Drake)
- Linux Software Raid Notes – Replacing Drives
- Firewire/USB card and ethernet incompatibilities on Ubuntu 6.06