Here are a few other notes on linux software raid. I created a directory called raidinfo to keep information in to make it easy to maintain the raid array. First… from the software raid howto, I’ve done the following….
sfdisk -d /dev/hda > /raidinfo/partitions.hda
sfdisk -d /dev/hde > /raidinfo/partitions.hde
So…. I’ve now got a good snapshot of the partitioning data. When I hooked up an external usb drive to add to the array, all I needed to do is this…
sfdisk /dev/sda < /raidinfo/partitions.hda
And…. I’ve got the drive partitioned.
Then I did a quick …. sudo mdadm –grow /dev/md0 -n 3 (previously 2)
and sudo mdadm –add /dev/md0 /dev/sda1
(for each partition and md0 device and things were happily syncing.) Actually, I’ve done a script to grow and add the partitions to the arrays and then to remove and “shrink” the array *(tip: – use the grow command with -n 2 to shrink.)
The master boot record is another issue (grub is used on this system.) I found a hint about grub’s batch mode and did a quick try of the following….
cat <<EOF | /sbin/grub --batch
device (hd0) /dev/sda
which seemed to do the trick, things are still syncing (/boot had already finished though.) I’ll test once the sync is finished.
The only other thing left seems to be to update the /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf file…
cp mdadm.conf mdadm.conf.`date +%y%m%d`
echo "DEVICE partitions" > mdadm.conf
mdadm --detail --scan >> mdadm.conf
Related PostsRelated Posts
- 16,000 new viruses this year This is for all those people that say to me. "There haven't been any new viruses lately have there?" It's really amazing to me that people think if it's not on the national news it doesn't happen.... According to Pc Pro, Sophos has reported that 16000 new viruses have been......
- Open Source Java and Linux distros redistributing java For years, the call has been to open source Java.... it appears that day is, well... coming. Not at hand yet, but for startersJava can now be bundled with Linux distributions.... and is looking for advice on how to get from where they are to open source Java. So it......
- More linux software raid fun OK, I know there are probably quite a few looking at this thinking.... "Hello where has he been?" when I'm talking about playing around with software raid under ubuntu linux, but.... in spite of all I've done supporting desktop systems and even small business servers I've never had an opportunity......
- How to Stop Annoying Computer Error Messages Error pop-ups are annoying. They can cause our computers to freeze and crash, and reduce our productivity. I'm going to give you a three step process to deal with computer errors messages of varying degrees. No one step will work for every error so try them in order to determine......
- How Home Improvement Software Can Help You Out If you are interested in home improvement these days, you also need to be interested in what the modern world can do for you as far as home improvement is concerned. There is no type of handyman in today’s world that does not use the conveniences of modern technology to......
- What to Look for in Your Blogging Software There are so many choices for blogging software on the market, that it can be very difficult to choose the right one. Every software choice has its advantages and disadvantages which means that you will have to make some decisions on your needs. This will help you to determine which......
- Ubuntu Linux Software Raid – Replacing a Failing Drive
- More linux software raid fun
- Software raid under linux (Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper Drake)
- Linux Software Raid Notes – Replacing Drives
- Firewire/USB card and ethernet incompatibilities on Ubuntu 6.06