Let me start by saying I am FAR from being an expert on the subject of building rpm’s… RPM’s are binary packages for use in red-hat based distributions. They are used (*in my case on Mandriva) with urpmi to install. Urpmi is a “wrapper” around the rpm utility that figures out what dependencies a program has and then installs those dependencies along with that program. One problem under linux is that binaries are not necessarily portable from one version of a distribution to another. For instance, some of the rpm’s for cooker may not be compatible with an old 10.0 system. But, there are src.rpm’s that can be rebuilt.
That’s what we’ll be looking at here, rebuilding rpm’s from source rpms. Let’s say I find the brand new version of flightgear in cooker (which I did a few days back). Now, I don’t know that the binary rpm will work so I find it’s src rpm (look in the SRPMS directory on the servers). Download that file (say to /home/username/downloads/srpms…)
Assuming you have a good build environment all you need to do at this point is ***AS YOUR USERNAME – NOT AS ROOT*** type the following
$rpm –rebuild /path/to/my/program.src.rpm
If all goes well, you will have lot’s of information stream across the screen (compile process.) NEAR the end (maybe 15 lines up?) You will see a message along the lines of
To install all you ought to need to do is urpmi /path/to/my/shinynew/program.rpm (su to install(or sudo urpmi))
If the process didn’t go so smoothly, be sure to READ the errors it gives. Usually the most likely problems are build-requires. In other words, in order to build the package you need to install the following -devel libraries. That’s easily solved (usually), become root and urpmi each of the missing packages. Assuming you’ve got a good list of urpmi sources (main and contrib mirrors from online) you should be in good shape for most of what you’d need to rebuild. The above -devel library was a build-requires for flightgear that wasn’t available to me and so, I had to get THAT src.rpm and build (and install) before rebuilding flightgear.
I’ve noticed too that when I was rebuilding Mandriva 2006 packages on 10.1 I had to make frequent changes to the spec files. A bit more on that will be covered in another post.
Related PostsRelated Posts
- Firefox 220.127.116.11 RPMS for Mandriva 2006 Just an update to let you know I've recompiled the src rpm's from Cooker for Mozilla 18.104.22.168 (For Mandriva 2006) and am uploading them to a subdirectory in http://www.averyjparker.com/wp-content/downloads/firefox/. (Look for the Mozilla-Firefox-22.214.171.124 subdirectory... thought it would be fairly obvious.) Anyway, I've put the src rpm in a subdirectory mysteriously......
- Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon coming The release date for the 7.10 Ubuntu release is coming soon. I've installed a beta into a virtual machine to see what's what and so far haven't had much time to play around. I seem to recall the localization question being new in the installer, but then it's been a......
- Flashplayer 9 on linux Macromedia Flash player 9 running on linux? Impossible? No... many things that seem impossible, well... aren't This morning there's a good writeup at how-to-forge about installing flash player 9 on linux. It involves wine and the how-to is specific to Ubuntu. However, the first two steps (sudo apt-get install wine......
- Green Home Improvement Tips The green home improvement movement is very strong these days. It seems that no matter which direction you look, you’ll find some new article being written about it. Some of the articles are written by people that are very gung-ho about ecologically friendly home improvement. There is nothing wrong with......
- Sensible and Cost Effective Green Building Green construction has to be neither cost prohibitive or complicated, according to experts at the Pacific Coast Builders Conference. According to these experts, building homes that are green and energy efficient does not have to be rocket science at all, but rather you can build a very efficient home at......
- Learn How to Build a Wall You may end up with a remodeling project that involves learning how to build a wall in the interior of your home or another similar building. Building a nonbearing interior wall is actually a relatively easy process. If you have basic carpentry skills and a good set of working tools,......
- Building RPM’s – building from tarballs
- Building RPM’s – building for several different releases on one machine
- Building RPM’s – making a build environment
- Mozilla Firefox 1.5 for Mandriva 2006
- Clamav 0.88.1 for Mandrake 10.0