Let me start by saying I am FAR from being an expert on the subject of building rpm’s… RPM’s are binary packages for use in red-hat based distributions. They are used (*in my case on Mandriva) with urpmi to install. Urpmi is a “wrapper” around the rpm utility that figures out what dependencies a program has and then installs those dependencies along with that program. One problem under linux is that binaries are not necessarily portable from one version of a distribution to another. For instance, some of the rpm’s for cooker may not be compatible with an old 10.0 system. But, there are src.rpm’s that can be rebuilt.
That’s what we’ll be looking at here, rebuilding rpm’s from source rpms. Let’s say I find the brand new version of flightgear in cooker (which I did a few days back). Now, I don’t know that the binary rpm will work so I find it’s src rpm (look in the SRPMS directory on the servers). Download that file (say to /home/username/downloads/srpms…)
Assuming you have a good build environment all you need to do at this point is ***AS YOUR USERNAME – NOT AS ROOT*** type the following
$rpm –rebuild /path/to/my/program.src.rpm
If all goes well, you will have lot’s of information stream across the screen (compile process.) NEAR the end (maybe 15 lines up?) You will see a message along the lines of
To install all you ought to need to do is urpmi /path/to/my/shinynew/program.rpm (su to install(or sudo urpmi))
If the process didn’t go so smoothly, be sure to READ the errors it gives. Usually the most likely problems are build-requires. In other words, in order to build the package you need to install the following -devel libraries. That’s easily solved (usually), become root and urpmi each of the missing packages. Assuming you’ve got a good list of urpmi sources (main and contrib mirrors from online) you should be in good shape for most of what you’d need to rebuild. The above -devel library was a build-requires for flightgear that wasn’t available to me and so, I had to get THAT src.rpm and build (and install) before rebuilding flightgear.
I’ve noticed too that when I was rebuilding Mandriva 2006 packages on 10.1 I had to make frequent changes to the spec files. A bit more on that will be covered in another post.
Related PostsRelated Posts
- Linux: Using Mandrake (Mandriva's) URPMI tool As background for this, I've used Mandrake Linux (now Mandriva) for my main desktop since around 8.2 I can't remember quite how long ago that's been, but around 3 to 4 years I think. The why is something best saved for another writeup. Early on I was frustrated by installing......
- A tun of trouble.... Sorry, VERY bad pun but I couldn't resist. I mentioned that I was having tun difficulties that kept me from playing around with anything fancy networking-wise with qemu. For starters let me see if I can explain what tun is. Tun is a method of creating a point-to-point "imaginary" network......
- Firefox 188.8.131.52 RPMS for Mandriva 2006 I'm in the process of uploading an update to the mozilla firefox 1.5 rpms for Mandriva 2006 that I have posted previously on the site. They should be browsable at http://www.averyjparker.com/wp-content/downloads/firefox/. In that directory you'll see the source rpm I built from, then a subdirectory for firefox-184.108.40.206 with the main......
- How to Build a Garage While many homes already have basic garages built into them, this isn't always the case, and some families find themselves seeking free plans, garage plans and the like. Some newer properties, and properties built by architects rather than home-building companies often do not come with the same garage space that......
- Big Ideas for Small Spaces (Nan's Note: Small homes are where it's at. I've felt this way for a long time, having grown up in a house half of which was rarely used. After the McMansion period in building history, homeowners are finally getting sensible - they want smaller homes. This is great for the......
- Learn How to Build a Wall You may end up with a remodeling project that involves learning how to build a wall in the interior of your home or another similar building. Building a nonbearing interior wall is actually a relatively easy process. If you have basic carpentry skills and a good set of working tools,......
- Building RPM’s – building from tarballs
- Building RPM’s – building for several different releases on one machine
- Building RPM’s – making a build environment
- Mozilla Firefox 1.5 for Mandriva 2006
- Clamav 0.88.1 for Mandrake 10.0