I’m going to do a few articles on building RPM’s as much for my own reference as anyone elses. I’m not an expert on the subject by any means… I do this from time to time, rebuild an rpm for an older system (or even a newer system that doesn’t have an official rpm for.) I have a tendency to forget things that I don’t do frequently. The first part of being able to rebuild rpm’s is to have what’s called a build environment. For starters, I’m using Mandriva 2006 (older versions I used Mandrake 10.1 or 10.0, etc.) In your home directory you need a folder called rpm.
In that folder you need subdirectories called:
the RPMS folder needs to have subfolders as well:
At this point you just need to have 2 configuration files in your home directory:
.rpmrc which should have the following:
buildarchtranslate: i386: i586
buildarchtranslate: i486: i586
buildarchtranslate: i586: i586
buildarchtranslate: i686: i586
and .rpmmacros which should contain this:
%distribution Mandriva Linux
Make sure to adjust the path correctly. A Mandriva user even has a quite script to do all the above for you… it’s here setup4rpm.sh Once this is done you’ve got all the folders you need.
The only other bit of advice I can give on the environment for rpm building. IF the packages are intended for others, try to keep the system as close to an “official” mandriva system as possible, try not to have requirements that would have users hunting for obscure non-mandriva packages. Ideally packages for public consumption with Mandriva should just have Main/contrib/updates requirements (maybe plf depending on what it is I suppose….) For your own use though, it’s up to you how “clean” your build system is.
Related PostsRelated Posts
- Mozilla Firefox 1.5 for Mandriva 2006 Mandriva 2006 released without Mozilla Firefox 1.5, it came with 1.0.6 (which included security fixes and other patches from 1.0.7).... anyway, source rpm's for Firefox 1.5 became available in cooker, so I've built rpm's for Mandriva 2006 for easy management on my systems. I'll post links here as they may......
- Vmware server install on Ubuntu Dapper I thought I had already posted this, but I looked the other day and didn't find the article, so I'm posting it now... if it's a duplicate, sorry... I'm still using Ubuntu's Dapper Drake 6.06(.1) as a base install for many things... the Long term support idea fo rthe server......
- Firefox 184.108.40.206 RPMS for Mandriva 2006 Just an update to let you know I've recompiled the src rpm's from Cooker for Mozilla 220.127.116.11 (For Mandriva 2006) and am uploading them to a subdirectory in http://www.averyjparker.com/wp-content/downloads/firefox/. (Look for the Mozilla-Firefox-18.104.22.168 subdirectory... thought it would be fairly obvious.) Anyway, I've put the src rpm in a subdirectory mysteriously......
- An Introduction To Wind Power We all know how important it is to preserve our environment and conserve natural resources. This has led to an unprecedented level of interest in using wind power and other types of alternative energy. However, a lot of people really aren't sure how wind power actually works. In fact,......
- Building Duck Blinds Hunting in duck blinds is vastly different than duck hunting in a boat. You'll also have to take a boat to your blind, but the first step is finding a blind where you can hunt. Some people have a blind set up ahead and allow people to use it or......
- Listing Building 101 - How To Build A Huge List To understand the art of list building you first have to know the audience you are marketing too.Â This is the key to getting people to opt in to your autoresponder. A huge mistake that many people do is they lead with a business opportunity on the front end of......
- Building RPM’s from Source RPMs
- Building RPM’s – building from tarballs
- Mozilla Firefox 1.5 for Mandriva 2006
- Building RPM’s – building for several different releases on one machine
- Firefox 22.214.171.124 RPMS for Mandriva 2006