A good how to has been posted at howtoforge.com, giving some instructions for setting up Mandrake (now Mandriva) 10.2 into a web/email serving platform. (As well as MySQL and FTP, DNS, and a few others.)
It’s a nice how to in general. I would rather have seen them show how to do it with URPMI instead of apt-get. I’ve used both and find URPMI to be a bit more easy to use. It is easy to setup with easyurpmi and does a great job of handling dependencies and updates. Plus it’s native to Mandrake. I’ll agree that apt-get is better than RPM by itself, but URPMI on an RPM based system would seem to be even better. Like I say I’ve used both and I still prefer URPMI. Anyway, minor point aside, it’s a fairly good rundown of setting up Mandriva as a server OS.
Related PostsRelated Posts
- Skype and linux audio issues One of the things I didn't mention in my first skype post was the "getting skype to work with linux" bit... The version available via urpmi in Mandrake was 1.2, so I installed it (before I had the usb audio phone) and gave a try. It gave consistent errors trying......
- Infocon Green and apple updates The Sans institute (incidents.org) has returned to infocon green. Explaining that there are no fundamentally new variations on the exploits that were circulating and the situation is fairly static. (No big moves in infected machines/port scanning activity.) Also, they note that Apple has released several updates. They effect 10.3.9 and......
- Easy linux installs a "klik away" Now, I am not one of those that finds linux software installation an arcane and difficult path. However, I use mandrake (mandriva) whose urpmi tool (if setup with the correct source repositories) is usually enough for the software I'm looking for. Anything else is usually easy to either recompile from......
- Linux: Using Mandrake (Mandriva’s) URPMI tool
- The 2nd journey begins… Mandriva 2006 upgrade 2 – Part 2
- The 2nd journey begins… Mandriva 2006 upgrade 2 – Part 3
- Part 2 of the Mandrake or Mandriva 2006 review
- Make your own linux livecd