The wolf in sheeps clothing, software that claims to be anti-spyware, but installs more spyware on your pc
The bad news is that the spyware situation for home pc users can be murkier every day. I remember a particular user who once installed an antivirus program because a popup appeared claiming to have found viruses on his drive, next thing he knew he was having all sorts of spyware problems, viruses found all the time (to “prove” the antivirus component was running.), etc. etc.
Spyware Confidential has the story on the latest wolf in sheeps clothing, something called spyaxe. This link shows a screenshot of one fake warning. One problem is how to describe to people how to identify legitimate versus illegit popups and warnings.
Among the bogus anti-spyware programs out there are Spytrooper, RazeSpyware, WorldAntispy, PSguard, Spy Sherrif, now spyaxe seems to be one of these bogus anti-spyware products. Now in the report at Spyware Confidential, spyaxe claimed that it was an “affiliate’s illegal advertising” of their product…. yeah….
In the past I’ve seen software of questionable legitimacy threaten lawsuits against spyware scanners and others who name them as what they are. I’ve seen others that try to “go clean” and take a legitimate approach to business. One of the halmarks of many of these is that it constantly detects problems, detects problems for free and offers to fix them for $$$, or in the case of many of these, never solves the problem it was installed to fix.
It sounds like spyaxe, may be detected as smitfraud (virus) by some antivirus vendors.
If you’ve got an infestation, this link has a good link of legit software that may assist.
If you curious about a piece of software and want to see if it’s a questionable product, one place to search is the rogue anti-spyware software list at spywarewarrior.com. I will likely add that to the handy links momentarily as well.
Another note is to beware of the “sponsored links” for products that show up in search results for spyware or spyware removal. Many of these may not be the reputable solutions you would find in the “authentic” search results.
Update — 11/14 –
The Sunbeltblog is getting some submissions on this, along the lines of “your software is not detecting __fill in bogus file___” The submissions are coming from windows security center replicas like warningmessage.com syserrors.com, security2k.net (These sites are bogus, visiting them could get you spywared… be cautious…)
Along the same lines, sunbeltblog has spotted another misleading page that is pushing something called spytrooper (mentioned above). http://www.notfound404.com/ is the site and when I visited I was presented with what appeared to be a page not found error, and at the top of it an authentic looking windows notification (like when an activex control tries to load), that said “the page you are looking for is blocked by the adware on your pc. Remove it with spytrooper software, click here.”) Now, of course, to Joe User it looks as though Windows is telling him how to fix the spyware problem that it claims he has (how userfriendly!!). Unfortunately spytrooper is one of the wolves in sheeps clothing among the “anti-spyware” software listed above.
Pretty devious little page….
Related PostsRelated Posts
- Westernsky.com scam - Beware Shocking Interest Rates [/caption] Absolutely shockingly high interest rates.... Wow. The last year or so I've seen a lot of westernsky.com ads. They are an LLC that is native-american owned and operating in the sovereign nation of the Cheyenne River Sioux Reservation. (Within the borders of the US, but federal jurisdiction is on......
- Spyware news and musings It's funny, in the last couple days 180solutions had a blog post that was somewhat... what's the term I'm looking for ? well they were quite defensive and concerned about "anti-spyware zealots" about "Scanning companies" and trying to work with them to explain their business model. Of course, legal action......
- Clamav .90 build problems on Mandrake 10.0 As I've mentioned, there are a few older Mandrake (now Mandriva) systems that I maintain and one of the packages that I'm frequently rebuilding for those systems is clamantivirus. Well, 0.90 came out recently and on an attempted rebuild from the src. rpm that I acquired from ftp.neocat.org, I got......
- Does Your Google Page Rank Really Affect Your Corporate Blog? Spend a few weeks reading about search engine optimization and you’ll likely become obsessed with your Google page rank score. If you’re not familiar with this, it is a system employed by Google that determines the popularity of a site and then assigns a ranking to it. Many factors are......
- Making The Task Of SEO Easy Search engine optimization SEO, could be very dynamic. What one knowledgeable thinks is important might grow to be less necessary the following day. There are a lot of methods and techniques that are fairly baffling. Examination and research of the traits of these websites which can be ranked the highest,......
- Search Engine Marketing Techniques Search engine marketing (SEO) would be the procedure of enhancing the outlook of your web site/web page in search engines through "natural" or voluntary ("natural " or "algorithmic") results in the search engines. Principally, the original (or upper on the page) extra regularly an internet website looks within the results......
- Spyaxe Spytrooper spysherriff et al removal
- Spyware is bad….
- Warning – old wolf in sheeps clothing cloned…
- US-CERT talks spyware
- More wolves in sheeps clothing – rogue or suspect antispyware